Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: 3vws Tutorial + Settings for Mpegable X4 Live... To make Hi Rez MP4s for your P900

Device(s)
    Sony EricssonV800/S700i
    Carrier(s)
    3G MTC-Vodafone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    LOL...I'll give it a go and let you know what happens.

Device(s)
    P900
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    vwvwvw

I am using Tivo to record television and I am using #1 DVD Ripper for DVDs which does allow a direct to mpeg1 rip. The program allows you to rip to mpeg1 using the following resolutions: 720x480 (high), 640x432 (good), 480x320 (medium), 352x240 (low), and Original DVD Quality (whatever that is??!!). Based on your experience with mpeg1 as a source, any ideas which setting would provide the best conversion quality?

Thanks again.

Device(s)
    Moto Q (Black)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (California)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Don -- wow! Thanks bunches! Really great that YOU went through all that trouble.

I ripped the advert AND a scene from "Scent of a Woman." Rez is great, sync is great, movement's still a wee bit jerky but, given the compression and the savings in size, etc. pretty darn impressive.

Now if only I thought I'd ever watch a movie on my phone!
    Drinks With Larry and Lauren (Podcast)
    http://www.drinkswithlarryandlauren.com

Device(s)
    Nokia N-GAGE
    Carrier(s)
    MobiNil Egypt
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    hey 3 vw's does this stuff all work on the p800

cuz i saw the other (theatre stuff for the p900 )
    so does these dvd's and ure tutorial work on the p800

and if not plz tell me why

thanx

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Originally posted by vwvwvw
    It stopped a slip-in NOW... I just didn't see it a happen-in after you posted the first time. I guess it took a while for it to take a hold!

many thanx L Bo

Device(s)
    Jasjar
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Hi 3VW,

Was really happy to see ur tutorial. Was waiting for it anxiously since quite a while (ever since u have been mean enough to tease us with those trailer's of urs).

The moment i read ur tutorial i was off to convert some videos of my own. After using Mpegable with ur settings i have realised that (as u have mentioned in ur tutorial) that the end result in terms of file size does turn out to be massive which i feel isnt really that practical. It wudnt really matter (to be honest) how many Duo's one has got as swapping them is always irritationg especially if ur in between an interesting flick and u end up stopping cos of having to switch duos. I agree that to have such great quality certain sacrifices have to be made. But i am still working on quality of video keeping size in mind. This really is a criterion IMO.

As for Sorenson, well, with Version 3.5 u will notice that it comes in quite handy for universal conversion. And IMO i achieve results comparable to wot u have shown (along with smaller file size)....keeping practicality in mind. A little tweaking here and there with it should produce amazing results.

Since u are such a whiz at this stuff i wud suggest (and hope) that u have a go at this proggie as i am sure that u wud be able to achieve much better results.

Once again, thanku for ur excellent tutorial and kudo's to ur efforts and time.

This is what makes HoFo such an amazing place where people are always willing to contribute without thoughts of personal gain.

Cheers 3VW....Cheers HoFo.
    Doc.
    Take the road less walked....

Device(s)
    V802SE
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility and
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Originally posted by GordonGecko
    vwvwvw

I am using Tivo to record television and I am using #1 DVD Ripper for DVDs which does allow a direct to mpeg1 rip. The program allows you to rip to mpeg1 using the following resolutions: 720x480 (high), 640x432 (good), 480x320 (medium), 352x240 (low), and Original DVD Quality (whatever that is??!!). Based on your experience with mpeg1 as a source, any ideas which setting would provide the best conversion quality?

Thanks again.
    Heya Gordon,

Mpeg 2 would provide the best quality to convert from the better the source the better the result.. Garbage in adn garbage out and all that.
    MPEG2 has significantly higher bitrates for audio video so your end result will likely be nicer. Give it a shot!

Cheers

Sean

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I tryed it but I can't get any sound.
    I have sound when I play back the ripped dvd
    but not when converted to MP4 Ive tryed
    playing it on my pc and my phone.
    The picture looks great just no sound
    Is this because I have the demo version of
    mpegable?
    Last edited by Finchey; 01-09-2004 at 10:58 AM.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    GordonGecko

I use Original DVD Resolution

Larry H

Thanks for the report Larry... Do me a favor and redo one of your vids with the Audio bitrate changed to 16 kBit/s (instead of 24 kBit/s) and tell me if that doesnt improve the smoothness.
    The audio will sound even worse but it should show you that what you gave up in audio bits, you can benefit in return in the video area. As I mentioned in the Tutorial you could reduce the Video Bitrate (say to 348 kBit/s) and then you may even increase the Audio bitrate. If you play around, keeping in mind this maximum overall bitrate issue, you may come up with a formula that you prefer even better than mine.
    And yes you really can watch a whole movie on your phone and enjoy it too. With my Travelsound hookedup I can even forget Im watching my phone after a while of viewing a movie and thats a good sign that it is doing for me what I want... involvement without distraction from low quality anomalies!

Hamoksh

Sorry, the settings were not worked out for the P800

Futuredoc

As I said in my Tutorial Futuredoc these settings give me the best results for what Im looking for, even at the cost of twice the file size Id want. The choice to compress even further is the norm when using the P800 Profiles in order to put a whole movie on one 128 MS Duo. If youve found a way to produce a comparable quality to my Hi Rez vids while only using a 1Mb 1 min. ratio please share it here... I cant wait to see it!

Ill probably give S Squeeze a try in the future just to see if it has anything better to offer but from the comments Ive heard about it so far it sounds like it is more limited in its offering of settings than Mpegable. Maybe somebody (like Shovelhed) can help out with a comparison review on this. Im not really partial to any program except the one that gives the BEST results and so far that's Mpegable... so just show me some-thin better and Ill jump at it.

Finchey

Before I look else where as to why youre not getting sound I need to be sure that you are playing this on a P900 and not a P800... I can't see what kind of phone you own in your profile.
    And yes, you should have sound with the trial version.
    3vw

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Sorry I should have said its a p900.
    I can play back other peoples Mp4's with
    sound on my pc and phone and I can play
    ripped VOB files on my pc with sound but
    I loss the sound when converted to MP4.

Thanks for the great tutorial 3VW the picture
    looks great I just need to sort out the sound.

Device(s)
    Jasjar
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Hi 3VW,

I suggest that u make a clip with Sorenson Squeeze with "progressive-small" settings. And it will definitely not be 1Mb per minute but rather 2.2-2.5MB per minute. With some tweaking lesser for better i wud say.

Give it a go and let me know how it goes.

Cheers,
    Doc.

P.S. Use the 3.5 version n not the 3.0 one.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    thanks for the tutorial, 3vw

i just made a couple of clips and they look awesome, but the volume on some of them is lower than i'd like... any suggestions?

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G, iPhone 2G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T... since back when they were Pac*Bell PCS.
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

chapter combining?

Thanks for finally providing your tutorial, VW.... I have a question tho.

You mentioned how you can segment a complete movie for MS purposes, but how about the opposite?

I have ripped Matrix R'loaded but I only selected the latter half of the movie by selecting chapters 12-on, individually using #1-DVD-Ripper.

So with Mpegable I have to add each chapter as a job, but is there a way to combine them to output as a single file?

If you have any ideas, please share them here. Thanks again, VW.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Finchey

Since you are using a P900... youre the only one (so far) thats experiencing no sound. I would guess that you might have missed something in the Tutorial.

Suggestions:
    Check that you selected MONO under step 13 of Audio Encoding.
    Actually double check ALL settings under steps 11 and 13

I hope this helps!

Futuredoc

Thanx for the tip on S Squeeze Ill give it a try when I can.

As far as the issue with file size, Im kind of confused by what your suggesting.

In your first post you said...

Originally posted by futuredoc
    Hi 3VW,

After using Mpegable with ur settings i have realised that (as u have mentioned in ur tutorial) that the end result in terms of file size does turn out to be massive which i feel isnt really that practical. It wudnt really matter (to be honest) how many Duo's one has got as swapping them is always irritationg especially if ur in between an interesting flick and u end up stopping cos of having to switch duos. I agree that to have such great quality certain sacrifices have to be made. But i am still working on quality of video keeping size in mind. This really is a criterion IMO.

As for Sorenson, well, with Version 3.5 u will notice that it comes in quite handy for universal conversion. And IMO i achieve results comparable to wot u have shown (along with smaller file size)....keeping practicality in mind.
    In my Tutorial I said...

One of the first things to realize when converting MP4s to these Hi Rez settings, is that it requires about 2 Mb (+ or -) of storage for every minute of video recording. In other words, you wont be able to fit a full length movie on a single 128 Mb MS Duo anymore.
    And now you say...

Originally posted by futuredoc
    And it will definitely not be 1Mb per minute but rather 2.2-2.5MB per minute. With some tweaking lesser for better i wud say.
    Im just lost here as to the point youre making... help me out futuredoc?

Rex-star

When converting a DVD using DVD Ripper I usually deal with the volume issue in that program. It allows you to increase it in your first conversion to mpeg1.

If youre starting with something else.. Sorry I dont have any suggestions at this point to give you.

Haywood

Yea splitting and joining are not alway the best way to go... there can be problems with doing this. I have experienced movie files that just wont allow me to uses the restart feature (in the middle of a file) that is otherwise a wonderful way to segment a movie for my purposes.

It is obviously best if you can keep the whole movie together and not have to even deal with these issues.

As far as joining goes... Bengalboy told me about a program called Easy Video Joiner that allows you to do this. I've only used it once and it worked but left out a few seconds of the file at the point of joining and I really didnt like that. Maybe youll have more luck with it than I.

After looking at their website again I see they also have a splitter... maybe you might want to do a total rip with DVD Ripper and then try this splitter on the mpeg1 to get your second half in tact.

Device(s)
    Jasjar
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Hi 3VW,

Ges i have been a bit misleading. And as for ur tutorial about where u say....

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the first things to realize when converting MP4s to these Hi Rez settings, is that it requires about 2 Mb (+ or -) of storage for every minute of video recording. In other words, you wont be able to fit a full length movie on a single 128 Mb MS Duo anymore.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, i dont know what i did wrong but when i encoded some clips with ur settings i was getting amazing quality but the file size was roughly around 3.5-4MB per minute which is why i mentioned in my settings that it would be around 2MB.

Ges i will give ur tutorial a go again and see what i have been doing wrong. Anyways, i still would like u to give Sorenson a go and want u to better the process of encoding in terms of "file size" as i am sure that no one but u can do this.

Once again, thanx for all ur help. And hey i have uploaded the clip to Sean's FTP so cud u have a luk at it and tell me wot u think of it and where i can improve on. Wud appreciate ur help.

Cheers,
    Doc.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast