Page 39 of 43 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 LastLast

Thread: Wap

Device(s)
    LG VX8600
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

WAP error messages

Hi there - I have a VX4600 that I just set up to use WAP using IP 24.3.27.144, Port 9201, and a home page at tagtag.com. Some sites I access work just fine, some others display one of the following error messages:

Unsupported Content Type

Document Contains Invalid Data

What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (LGE-VX7000/1.0 UP.Browser/6.2.3.1.174 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

Originally posted by Sticker
    Introduction
    Well, the reason for this post is because there are at least 5 threads around here asking, "is verizon blocking free wap?" or "wap doesnt work for me!" I just thought I would compile a thread for everyone to clear up all the questions. Hopefully lgreenberg can sticky this for me. This thread will include:
    • Using a WAP Proxy
    • How To Setup Your Own WAP Gateway [Windows]
    • How To Setup Your Own WAP Gateway [Linux]
    • How To Setup Your Own WAP IRC Gateway

Using a WAP Proxy
    Using a WAP Proxy is quite simple and you can be up and running in minutes.

Things you need:
    • An IP that is running a WAP Gateway
    • A WAP homepage

There are several IP's floating around these forums, one I would reccomend is 66.208.106.16 port: 9201. Everyone thinks it's blazing fast, and it's mine. :P

After you have an IP you will need to do the following:
    1) Go to menu, hit 0, it should prompt you for a "Service Code" enter six 0's, you should now be in the services menu for your phone.
    2) Hit 9 (WAP Settings), hit 1 (IP Settings), hit 4 (Link2-IP1).
    3) Now enter 66.208.106.16 as the IP, hit okay.
    4) Hit clear to return to WAP Settings
    5) Hit 2 (Port Settings), hit 4 (Link2-Port1), enter 9201 in, hit okay. Now hit End.
    6) Start the browser up, let it load, it will most likely give you some security error, just ignore it, hold 0 for a few second, it should now bring up browser settings.
    7) Hit 6 (Advanced), hit 3 (WAP Proxy), hit 2 (WAP Proxy 2), go back to the Advanced menu.
    8) Now, put your phone aside for a step, we will be setting up a WAP homepage here, go to www.tagtag.com and sign up for an account, setup a page with some nice WAP pages, like wap.movietickets.com. Now that you have your tagtag page we can continue.
    9) You should still be in the Advanced menu of the browser on your phone, hit 2 (Homepage), enter in your homepage. Hit okay when done.
    10) Now you should be done, to be safe, power cycle your phone.
    11) Start the browser, you should be now taken to your tagtag page you setup in step 8.
    Note: If you get "Error: unable to connect to server www.tagtag.com" Hold 0 and reload the page, it should work.

How To Setup Your Own WAP Gateway (Windows)
    Setting up your own WAP Gateway on your personal PC is a good alternative to using some of those free ones, but it's really not as good unless you run your computer runs 24/7 and you have a broadband connection.

Things you need:
    • A PC running Windows
    • WAP3GX - get here

1) Install WAP3GX
    2) Load wap3gx.exe
    3) Setup WAP3GX to run as a service, that way it will automatically start when windows does.
    4) Hit the Start button.
    5) It should be running, now just get your IP address and use your IP address with the tutorial above instead of the IP provided.
    Note: If you are running a firewall you will have to forward port 9201, I will not be writing up how to do that seeing as there are many routers and different ways for each one.

How to Setup Your Own WAP Gateway (Linux)
    Linux is used for most web/game servers and is more reliable/stable than Windows. This guide will most likely be used by people with their own dedicated servers.

Things you need:
    • A server running Red Hat or Debian
    • Kannel - get here

1) Once the source is downloaded run
    Code:
    ./configure 
    make
    2) After Kannel is compiled you will need to install certain programs in a suitable place.
    Code:
    make bindir=/path/to/directory install
    3) You should now be finished
    Note: This is a very BRIEF tutorial on how to install, for a more detailed installation guide go here

How To Setup Your Own WAP IRC Gateway
    IRC stands for Internet Relay Chat, it is a way to chat and keep in touch with family, friends and many other things. Many people would like to know how to talk on IRC from their phone, I know I wanted to, and after a bit of googling I found a nice program to allow you to do just this.

Things you need:
    • A server running BSD or mostly any linux distro
    • WAP IRC Gateway v.24 - get here

1) Download the sources
    2) Extract the sources
    Code:
    tar xvzf wapirc_0.24.tar.gz
    3) Change to the WAP IRC directory.
    Code:
    cd wapirc_0.24
    4) Edit config.h for server/nickname/ident you want.
    5) Compile the source
    Code:
    make
    6) Move the wapirc.cgi to your cgi enabled folder, make sure it is chmodded to 755
    Code:
    chmod 755 wapirc.cgi
    7) Move the compiled wapircd binary to a directory not accessable by the web.
    8) Run wapircd
    Code:
    ./wapircd &
    That should run it in the background, if for some reason when you run that and the process dies when you log out of SSH or telnet, use this command.
    Code:
    nohup ./wapircd &
    9) Now go to the URL that the cgi is located at.

Well that is all folks, I hope it helps, if you find any typos or mistakes, feel free to PM me.

Many thanks go out to:
    Test from my phone

Device(s)
    VX7000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Unhappy

How do you do this on the 7000

Device(s)
    LG VX9900
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    does this work for the vx7000

Device(s)
    enV2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    thanx for that ip, its the only one that has worked for me in a long time. Just wondering if anyone else would be kind enough to share theirs. Thanx.
    ---Mr.MojoRisin'

Feedback Score

Does it work with LG VX3200?

Does anyone have VX3200 using WAP?

Feedback Score

WAP Problem

I set up my computer as a WAP Proxy with the program mentioned above.

Basically, it says 1 connected, then 0 connected, and back and forth

Then on the phone it says "For wireless internet, hit *661"

I dont think it should be saying that.

What should I do??

By the way, I have a 6100
    Last edited by Morphx2; 04-05-2005 at 12:22 AM.

Feedback Score

can't get to wap settings

I've looked all over and I can't get into my wap settings. I've tried WebAccess, there is no edit or new, or menu button for that matter. I can't do the menu > 0 nothing happens. I have the motorola v600, any ideas?

Device(s)
    LG 6000 - Husband
    Carrier(s)
    VERIZON
    Feedback Score

Wap/server up and running.

Not as if I will actually use WAP very often, but it was the challenge that got me. I set up my wireless network/internet yesterday, so I went ahead and set up my own server too. It's nice to know if I was out, I can look stuff up on my phone. I don't understand all about the WAP server stuff yet, but I do know you have to keep the server/computer up for when/if you need to use it. I would like to know how to check to see who is using my server, if anyone. I still have a lot of reading to do.

I also set up my tag tag place - under (splah)

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kicks420
    I've looked all over and I can't get into my wap settings. I've tried WebAccess, there is no edit or new, or menu button for that matter. I can't do the menu > 0 nothing happens. I have the motorola v600, any ideas?
    Um I guess you didn't realize your in the "LG" section of the forum.
    So since you have a Motorola, none of this info in this section doesn't apply to you.
    - Mark

Device(s)
    Motorola DROID 2 (VZW)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    This needs to be stickied.

Barring that, I'll definitely be *bumping* it.
    The Squared Cube

Device(s)
    Motorola v710
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Hey everyone spent about 2 hours reading through this entire thread and have to add, to all of the people who don't want to setup their own servers or search for free proxy IP addresses, you should check out MobileWeb4U.com

They provide stable service at an incredibly cheap price. I have been using this service for about a year and have yet to have a single problem.

They just redesigned their website and added a great support system making it very easy to get in touch with someone if you are having issues.

Before I get flamed this is just a PSA, not an ad. I just think alot of people waste tons of time configuring routers and setting up servers and having their home IP addresses change or having to hunt down new IP addresses.

So if you dont want a hassle and just want good service save some time and just check out MobileWeb4U.com

I am using their service with my v710 and it is great, excellent links on their homepage for the phone and if you want them to add something they are more than willing.

They also provide direct login for my tagtag site right on the main homepage they provide.

So if you want cheap and easy this is it!

If you signup for service tell them MarylandVZW sent you!

Device(s)
    LGVX6000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

mobileweb4u Rocks!

I am also, like the user above, a happy customer of mobileweb4u. I've had their service for nearly a year. The cost is so inexpensive (less than $25) that its well worth not messing around with free services that are here for a week then gone then back again.

Again, I started off trying to get the free wap access going, but it took so much time it was cheaper in the long run to just shell out for an access charge. They responded very quickly when I initially had problems setting up my phone correctly.

Device(s)
    XV6700, G1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kicks420
    if you browse through this forum someone has a moto phone...
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=513887

Feedback Score

lg vx 7000?

hey, is there a crack for the 7000 as well?

Page 39 of 43 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 LastLast