Thread: What plan(s) do I need for unlimited instant messaging?

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 Edge Dual Sim
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo Mobile
    Feedback Score

What plan(s) do I need for unlimited instant messaging?

I was wondering what Rogers plans would I need to get unlimited instant messaging through those programs that have AIM, MSN, and ICQ all in one... If I transfer that to my phone, then sign in etc, what do I need to be able to talk as much as I want? I'm pretty sure that it's next text message by text message (from what I hear), but rather through GPRS (<- how does this work). Will I need unlimited text plan, or unlimited WAP plan or what? Thanks

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    If you want to actually log into one of the three messaging clients you will need to sign up to a GPRS data account or log onto wap using a 'Per KB downloaded/uploaded' plan, which im guessing everyone has. The unlimited data plan is 40$ i believe, which is kinda steep. Also, chating with mobile internet always tends to timeout if there's no activity within a couple minutes; maximum is 2 minutes on my phone. You can also communicate to your friends on chat lists from msn, icq, aim using SMS plans, but you wont be able to initiate a conversation with them cuz u simply dont know when theyre online or not. You can only respond to their messages and as far as i know your message will come up onto their screen as long as theyre still online. You will have to set mobile settings for each chat client as well. I know for a fact that all three clients support sms messaging. The SMS alternative is cheaper cuz youll be able to send 500 messages from your handset from a 15$ a month plan.

just check out www.rogers.com for all the price listings.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 Edge Dual Sim
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Is this how it goes? Unlimited WAP = unlimited internet = unlimited GPRS? And is GPRS the one that is usually charged by the KB?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    oh, u just wanna know the terms...

theyre all pretty much the same when people talk about it:
    wap, mobile internet, GPRS...ETC

GPRS is the standard of how u get the data...there's also EDGE, which is alot more faster, but not supported.

wap is just basically an acronym for mobile internet

so ....when u hear people talk about wap and GPRS theyre talkin about mobile internet.

Device(s)
    Nokia N82 <Black>
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    actually you can do icq with just sms alone....its a bit more tedius but it works

Device(s)
    Iphone
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    While people are asking...
    I was trying out a totalphone (left over minutes on some account while I waited for my demo line) and I noticed it had AOL instant messanger built in, so I got a user name and I tryed it out, and of course it worked... but the odd thing it, totalphone doesnt support WAP or GPRS

so how does it get through???

Device(s)
    Iphone
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    While people are asking...
    I was trying out a totalphone (left over minutes on some account while I waited for my demo line) and I noticed it had AOL instant messanger built in, so I got a user name and I tryed it out, and of course it worked... but the odd thing it, totalphone doesnt support WAP or GPRS

so how does it get through???
    and are any charges incured from use? -> with either core or totalphone planS?