Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Tutorial: How to put mp3 rintones on your LG VX6000 for dummies!

Device(s)
    Nokia 6620
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Lightbulb Tutorial: How to put mp3 rintones on your LG VX6000 for dummies!

This simple step by step detailed guide will teach the novice user how to place MP3’s onto their LG VX6000 phone. I am doing this because I was a novice looking for a tutorial, but I kept getting confusing responses from other members that were experts.

Prior to installing MP3’s onto your LG VX6000 phone you must have the following:

1. A USB Data Cable For your phone with the correct installed drivers. I would highly recommend that you buy your cable from AccessoryGeeks.com. I personally have worked with the company owner, and at one point was an official reseller. Checkout this link...

http://www.accessorygeeks.com/bdatacablesb6.html

They include alot of extras on the CD, and they ship extremely fast, plus offer technical support
    for free.

2. BitPm version 0.62. Free Download here…

http://www.cowger.us/bitpim-0.62-forVX6000-setup.exe

3. Sound Forge 7.0 Free Download HERE

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...leidx,1,00.asp

Detailed Step by step process…..

1. Select the MP3 that you want onto your phone.
    2. Open Sound Forge 7.0
    3. Go to “File”
    4. Select “Open”
    5. Navigate to your MP3
    6. Press “Open”
    7. Sound Forge will open a 2 bar line display of lines going up and down.
    8. Bring your mouse to the black line in between the 2 bars.
    9. Locate the start point of where you want the mp3 clip to start.
    10. Click on the start point of the clip and drag right around 30-60seconds depending on what you want.
    11. Be careful not to drag over more than 80 seconds of MP3 music, because that MAY compromise your phones internal integrity. 60sec’s should be the most.
    12. Verify that both sections of the music are highlighted. (It should take up all of the display area.
    13. Press “Play” to preview what you highlighted.
    14. Hold down “Ctrl” and press “T”
    15. Go to “Process”
    16. Go down and click on “Resample”
    17. Set the “New Sample Rate to 22,050 Hz
    18. Press “Okay”
    19. Click on “File”
    20. Click on “Save As”
    21. Click on “Customize”
    22. Click on “Convert to mono”
    23. Click on “Bit Rate”
    24. Find and click on 32kbps, 22050 Hz
    25. Click “Ok”
    26. Go to “File Name” and rename your clip with a short title.
    27. Click “Save”
    28. You mp3 clip is now ready to be placed on your phone!
    29. Open BitPm V 0.62 ß must be this version
    30. Make sure your phone is on and connected to you computer. All usb drivers must be already installed for the phone.
    31. Click on the “Ringers” folder tab
    32. Click “Add”
    33. Locate you mp3 clip that you saved.
    34. Click “Open”
    35. Click on “Data”
    36. Click on “Send Phone Data”
    37. Click on the white box (check) to the left of “ringers”
    38. Click on the “Add” button on the right of “ringers”
    39. Click “Okay”
    40. Wait a minute until BitPm says “Ready”
    41. On you phone go to the menu.
    42. Press 7
    43. Then, press 2
    44. Find you song and it will play automatically.
    45. Click on “Set As” to set the ringer as “Caller Id” or “Restricted”
    46. Your finished!

Note: Your phone will handle 20 ringers max. There are other methods of getting mp3’s to your phone, but this was the easiest way for me.

Let me know if this tutorial has worked for you.

-Ryan
    Last edited by lgreenberg; 10-25-2004 at 06:29 AM.

Device(s)
    Moto v815, LG VX 6100, Samsung i600 Smartphone, LG VX6000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless [ACII 900 Unlim N&W / Unlim In-Network] x2,
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Nice writeup. I'm adding the original tutorial that was posted here a few weeks ago. I think it is a little easier to follow (8 steps compared to 46).

Method #2

This tutorial will explain how to load MP3's onto you LG VX6000.

Software Needed:
    1] BitPim v.61
    2] Sound Forge (Optional, can be retrieve from soundforge.com)
    3] LG1200 USB Drivers installed and working

Hardware Needed:
    1] LGVX6000 (OEM) Data Cable or Future Dial LG1200 Data Cable (Not Tested)

NOTE 1] Steps 1-3 can be omitted if desired, it is simply to reduce the size of the MP3

NOTE 2] This method will erase all your ring tones, you will have to reload them using the data cable or by MMS. There are methods of adding ring tones to the phone without erasing all of them first, but that involves edited the map files located in "/download/dloadindex/". It is possible to load MP3's onto the phone by simply naming the MP3 to another ringer on the phone and overwriting it (including the
    .mid extension) this method has been proven successful as well.

STEP 1] Select any MP3's you'd like and load it into soundforge. Find and highlight the part of the song you would like to use as your ring tone.

STEP 2] Select Edit -> Trim/Crop...you will see that only the part of the MP3 you've selected will remain. You may want to play around with highlight the Beginning or End of the song and selecting Process -> Fade -> In or Out depending on your preference. This will prevent the song from ending abruptly. I've also found that the MP3's play very low on the phone so by selecting Process -> Volume... and using the preset "200%" usually helps (NOTE - If this is done with a song that has heavy bass, it will usually distort the sound much like loud .qcp's on the VX6000.

STEP 3] after adjusting the song the way you'd like, select File -> Save As... And rename the file to something else.

STEP 4] Navigate to the directory in which the MP3's lives and rename it to "filename.mid" (i.e. - change the extension to .mid).

STEP 5] On your VX6000, Select Menu, My Media, and Music. Then hit the right soft key Options, then Erase All. Do not power off you phone after doing this, this is important b/c your phone will then rebuild the map files upon booting and that is NOT what we want.

STEP 6] Open BitPim (or Gagin) and navigate /user/sound/ringer on the embedded file system. If you are using Gagin you will need to patch the apploader so that it points to "/" (the root directory). This can be done with
    BalPatch3.

STEP 7] In BitPim, right click on "ringer" and then select "New File..." Locate the new MP3 you've created and renamed or any MP3 you'd like as long as it has been renamed to .mid. Let BitPim upload the file.

Note - The MP3's I’ve loaded have been around 30-45 seconds long and are usually under 400K. I currently have 6 MP3's loaded totaling 1.88 Meg. I have not tested the phones limits as far as memory is concerned. Just be careful not to load too many as you may loose functionality such as phonebook capacity, MMS capacity, gallery capacity, and so on. Also larger files take very long to write to the phone, this can be very annoying.

STEP 8] Power cycle the phone and check under Music on your VX6000. The MP3's should be there. You may delete the preset ring tones that have been rebuilt if you wish.

There have been reports of extremely long MP3's taking some time to play but eventually work fine. I have not tested this. Trying to Picture Message these ring tones don't work for files larger than 30K. When using MP3's smaller than 30K you can rename them to .mid and send them to your phone via www.vzwpix.com

Device(s)
    Nokia 6620
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks for the repost. I wrote this detailed step by step tutorial because I didn't fully understand your tutorial and it took me some time to figure it out. My tutorial was designed for the computer illeriate.

Anyways, people can use either tutorial, which ever one works best for them. Now they have 2 guides instead of one.

-Ryan

Device(s)
    Moto v815, LG VX 6100, Samsung i600 Smartphone, LG VX6000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless [ACII 900 Unlim N&W / Unlim In-Network] x2,
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Yeah, I just added it for an additional reference.

Device(s)
    LG VX6000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Re: Tutorial: How to put mp3 rintones on your LG VX6000 for dummies!

Originally posted by Lenahan2001
    Let me know if this tutorial has worked for you.

-Ryan
    Dude you friggin ROCK! I have followed other tutorials, like the one that is posted after your orginal post above, and it worked for 4 files for me... I did nothing different, just stopped working. WIth you tutorial I have filled my phone up and my fiance's with no problems at all!

Thanks mucho grande!
    ~KeDogn

Device(s)
    Nokia 6620
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks for the compliments Kedogn.

I was in the same situation as you were, once I played around with Sound Forge after a few hours I figured it out. I know how complicated some tutorials are ( I origionally used the tutorial posted after mine too! ) I wanted to make a step by step turtorial that even the computer illeriate would understand. Once again thanks.

-Ryan

Device(s)
    LG VX6000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks for the compliments Kedogn.

I was in the same situation as you were, once I played around with Sound Forge after a few hours I figured it out. I know how complicated some tutorials are ( I origionally used the tutorial posted after mine too! ) I wanted to make a step by step turtorial that even the computer illeriate would understand. Once again thanks.

-Ryan
    I am by no means a computer illiterate (I do programming, web design and build computers), just new to all of this cell phone stuff. Had no clue you could do so much with a phone.. so thanks again for the help

Device(s)
    Nokia 6620
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Kedogn,

I'm sorry if said that you were illiterate. Maybe I should re-phraze it to "cell phone illiterate" or just simply "for anyone that's having trouble." Once again sorry.

-Ryan

Device(s)
    LG VX6000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Kedogn,

I'm sorry if said that you were illiterate. Maybe I should re-phraze it to "cell phone illiterate" or just simply "for anyone that's having trouble." Once again sorry.

-Ryan
    Oh, no... you didn't. I was just stating that I wasn't, but that this tutorial of your's was great. Just saying even those that know alot about computers sometimes need new things spelled out clearly for them. Until I started doing research on the VX6000, I had no clue someone could do the things I have learned to do from reading this forum.... even though I can do just about anything I need/want to with a computer is what I was saying No harm and certainly no foul

Device(s)
    LG VX9800
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I wholeheartedly concur. This forum has been of tremendous help to me with my VX6000. I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my USB cable so I can play with Bitpim and MP3 ringtones. It's great to see people taking the time to write tutorials for the more complicated tasks. As Kedogn said, even though users may know a lot about computers and other technical matters, it still helps to have step by step help when doing something for the first time. I certainly wouldn't want to wing it with a $200 phone and have to go begging to LG or Verizon to fix it if I messed up the filesystem. Keep up the good work.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6620
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Would it be possible to make this forum "sticky?"

There are many new post daily asking the same questions because these post get burried quickly, and most noobies don't know how to search.

Plus we have 2 methods for users to try.

-Ryan

Device(s)
    Nokia 6620
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Device(s)
    lg 5450
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

question

i get an error message every time i try to download soundforge v7 is there any oder program to modify mp3 thanks alot
    !darightthing!

Device(s)
    LG6000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Talking Addendum....

This forum rocked! Thanks for the info! I just took it one step further though....

You don't need to get the USB cord or the software to interface the phone to your PC. Simply edit an .MP3 file to limit it to less than 30K (I use Cool Edit Pro), rename it to .MID, then send it via email to your phone!

How do you send a file to your phone you ask?
    Well, just type +1(area code)(your number) in the ' TO: ' area (i.e. +19015551212), attach the .mid file you renamed, and be sure to put something (anything) in the subject line and main body of the message. I use 'test' for both. Why these have to be there is beyond me, but I run into problems on occasion if it isn't done that way.

Good luck!!!

Device(s)
    iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Angry

EvilSweetness:
    This forum rocked! Thanks for the info! I just took it one step further though....
    Funny this post comes 24 hours after I posted the same info to BrewBackups.com...

http://www.brewbackups.com/forum_viewtopic.php?21.2855

...too bad you didn't include a step-by-step for the newbies, including settings and alternative ways to send rather than only from the picture gallery on vzwpix.com...

This info wasn't anywhere on the forums until I posted it on the 27th, when you quote somebody, at least give him or her credit rather than "I just took it one step further though...."

Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast