Thread: is 850 GSM a good reason to stick with AT&T

Device(s)
    nokia 3650
    Feedback Score

is 850 GSM a good reason to stick with AT&T

Like most people here I am also looking forward to LNP. I have AT&T GSM now with NOkia 3650 (circular keypad). Reception at my apartment (San Mateo, San Francisco Bay Area) is okay, not excellent.

I tried SE T616 but found it has weaker reception than my nokia. The rep told me that my area is not 850 yet, but will be in a 'couple of months'. May be I will try again later.

I am planning on evaluating T-mobile as well.

But would some one say AT&T will have a better 'coverage' and in-building penetration once it deploys 850 Mhz GSM. Tmobile doesn't own 850 Mhz spectrum as widely as AT&T does.

so the question is,
    1) shoudl I stick with AT&T b/c 850MHz GSM will be better than any other?

2) go with the provider the provides best coverage and may be switch back to AT&T once 850 fully active?

thanks
    ./LinuxLover

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Re: is 850 GSM a good reason to stick with AT&T

Originally posted by linuxlover
    go with the provider the provides best coverage and may be switch back to AT&T once 850 fully active?
    Yes!
    ... and please let me say Rule #1: Do not believe anything a rep tells you. They have no idea what the hell they're talking about. Ever.

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    I would agree that if your service is not adequate right now, you should switch. You can't count on things getting better within any particular time frame.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Device(s)
    Google Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    well i'd say stay but that's cuz i be loving AT&T. Do a network search to see if you get a T-Mobile signal places you go while you have an AT&T signal.. that could somehow give you a lil test.
    - yeah, don't listen to that guy!

Device(s)
    Galaxy S3
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Re: is 850 GSM a good reason to stick with AT&T

2) go with the provider the provides best coverage and may be switch back to AT&T once 850 fully active?

thanks
    ./LinuxLover
    If it isn't working for you now, chances are it isn't going to be anytime soon, they have been screwing around with their network in SoCal for months, adding and removing 850 channels.

I gave them a year in Central PA, and not only did signal not improve, it got worse!

*rocks back and forth in corner* 8 more days, just 8 more days.
    "Give me dBm, or give me death!"

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (us)
    Feedback Score
    I second RichXKU's comments only because I'm in Central PA as well.

Don't trust anything the rep tells you! Not only are they trying to *sell* you a phone but they are typically only told of changes after the fact.

ATT's network deployment in State College, both TDMA and GSM, should be a case study on how not to build out a network. On the TDMA side there are places I've been waiting for improvements in coverage for eight years!

GSM 850 would be a huge improvement here but they can't turn it on because there's still capacity problems with the TDMA network because it isn't done correctly either. ARGH!

Too bad we don't have T-Mobile here, I use the international roaming service and don't like Nextel's prices so I'm stuck with ATT for now.

Device(s)
    After trying many phones, the one phone that is worthy of this spot is the 6620!!
    Feedback Score
    Actually the SF market is the one market at&t shows what it can do, it is constantly being updated. It's the one market I think all other markets look up to as far as deployment goes (meaning other at&t markets).

And it's almost impossible for any rep to know what's going to happen unless it's already happened, anything they say is strictly speculation. Reps usually do this because they genuinely believe it is true based on previous experience with at&t roll outs in their area or because it's all about the sale. My experience with sales people is that the more knowledgeable about a product they are (ie some of the people on this board) the more genuine they are. The dumber they are the less they care and will only tell you what you want to hear. And for clarification I'm talking about all sales people not just at&t reps.

Having said all that, if you are not satisfied with your current service I would advise you to try out other carriers first before fully committing. If you find a better carrier then by all means switch.

Also a really good phone try out 850 that gets good reception and has alot of features is the siemens s56.
    Last edited by ivwshane; 11-17-2003 at 01:56 AM.

Device(s)
    nokia 3650
    Feedback Score

will stick with AT&T

I signed up for a T-mobile plan yesterday the took the phone home. Actually AT&T coverage is better at home

I will be cancelling my account with T-mobile. One cool thing though, when I signed up @ T-Mobile store in Palo Alto, CA (165 University Ave) the rep could pull out a coverage map in the computer. He typed in my address and I was listed as 'yellow' (meaning OK coverage, green is excellent coverage). It was really pretty cool to see that coverage map to that detail as opposed to the vague coverage maps you get in other stores. It was just like a Yahoo map. I could see where the coverage holes are and ..etc.

If you are interested, I'd highly recommend you give this a try.

Also I get good discounts through my employer (IBM) with AT&T. I get 50% off for equipment! Now that is cool. There are no similar discounts with T-mobile.

So it looks like At&T. Hope they roll out 850 GSM and San Francisco Bay Area can be touted as one of their best GSM markets.

thanks for all the posts.
    ./LinuxLover