Thread: Quality of roaming coverage in Hawaii?

Feedback Score

Quality of roaming coverage in Hawaii?

Looking to switch from AT&T to VS. Based in Seattle but travel periodically to Hawaii. Earlier threads seem to indicate that the quality of VS coverage in Hawaii is lousy. Can anyone confirm?

Device(s)
    Nokia 6230
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Re: Quality of roaming coverage in Hawaii?

Originally posted by waimanalo
    Looking to switch from AT&T to VS. Based in Seattle but travel periodically to Hawaii. Earlier threads seem to indicate that the quality of VS coverage in Hawaii is lousy. Can anyone confirm?
    I was in Maui only in January. Unless I was in a crater or so on, I had no problem on the left side of the island and the center part.

one data point at least...

Device(s)
    Pocket PC 2003
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Cant give you first hand experience, only that you can check the maps at voicestream.com, or call customer service and give them an exact address and they can tell you what the coverage is like, also HA is a big customer base, hope this helps at least.

Feedback Score
    I have a friend who lives in Bellevue and travels to Maui all the time and he calls me almost everyday. He said the coverage was better in Maui than in Bellevue/eastside.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Don't bother asking CS

I live in Hawaii, and overall coverage is great. According to VS maps, they cover half of Maui. I live on Oahu, and there is coverage pretty much everywhere. I went to Kauai with my VS phone, and there was only *very* limited coverage in Lihue.

Don't bother asking CS either... I asked them if and where there was coverage on Kauai, and they couldn't even pronounce the town names (and I don't blame them). It was hard because they couldn't pronounce "Hanamaulu" and "Hanapepe". They had to give me zip codes where coverage was -- then I had to look thru a bunch of maps to see where the zip codes cover.

Very confusing...BUT like I said, I don't blame them. I took a VoiceStream Nokia 3390, a Verizon Audiovox CDM-4000, and a ATT Nokia 6160 inside a local ground-level store. VoiceStream lost coverage almost immediately while Verizon and ATT's signal stayed at a cosntant 4 bars.

If you don't travel deep into malls (like Ala Moana) or stores, you should be okay.

Keep in mind you only have a 72hr trial period. I assumed that did NOT include the weekends (which other people have told me), but the CS rep told me otherwise. He was nice, and let me exchange my phone about 5 days after I signed up.

Will you be signing up in WA? In Hawaii there are some great deals on phones (free 3390's, 8290's, N105's etc...) with activation because there's so many cell phone stores. In WA, it's hard enough trying to find a truly free (not some kind of rebate) 5190!

Device(s)
    Inspector Gadget Finger Phone
    Carrier(s)
    Houston Cellular, Aerial Communications
    Feedback Score
    didnt voicestream initially start in hawaii?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by crazeazn
    didnt voicestream initially start in hawaii?
    I seriously doubt that... Isn't VoiceStream based in Seattle? Did they start there too? Heh, I dunno. But I really doubt VStream started in Hawaii...

Device(s)
    Nokia 6600/Razr V3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by IsLand_BoY

I seriously doubt that... Isn't VoiceStream based in Seattle? Did they start there too? Heh, I dunno. But I really doubt VStream started in Hawaii...
    yes Voicestream is based out of Bellvue Washington, but the first market they ever opened up, was Hawaii, thus, yes, Voicestream first stared offering service in Hawaii before anywhere else.

Device(s)
    Nokia 3390 GOLD, Samsung R225 & N105 Motorola P280
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    On Maui, Hawaii does voicestream hava coverage on Hana?