Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Prepaid Providers

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by psxrulez
    The Simple Freedom phones (by Alltel sold at Wal-Mart) are great for the heavy travler. They work in like 95% of the country and like 80% is the "local" area which is $0.25/min (includes long distance). Outside of the local area is $0.50/min (includes long distance). This setep is very cheap for the travler, b/c most roaming charges are over $0.50
    Would you happen to know how much the phones cost? I don't go to WalMart, and I can't find the phones on their website. I was looking at the Nokia 5185i and 3585i phones (both packaged for Simple Freedom) on eBay. Are you allowed to use phones other than the ones packaged with Simple Freedom? Alltel doesn't serve Honolulu, although it's considered "local" -- sounds like a good prepaid... Aiya, I really need to stop with the prepaid phones... They'd just roam on Verizon here and I already have my TracFone which uses Verizon as well.
    Castrol EDGE 0W-20 is my drug of choice.

Primary: iPhone XR
    Secondary: TracFones: iPhone 6s [AT&T] & iPhone 8 [Verizon]
    Mobile Broadband: ZTE Z917 LTE hotspot (5GB for $10) + iPad Mini 4 w/ T-Mobile LTE

Device(s)
    Blackberry Curve
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by IsLand_BoY
    On an interesting note, my Virgin Mobile phone (an Audiovox 8500) had an "R" for roaming in an area where there was poor SPCS coverage. I dialed a phone number and I was tranferred to the "American Roaming Network"
    now i see why you don't get reception, you have the 8500. That is the worst phone I have ever owned and I would never recommend it to someone. I love my slider though, it gets way better reception than my 8500 did (at least here in chicago)

Device(s)
    Sour Grapes
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (SublimeFan: SE47/1.0.00 UP.Browser/4.1.26l UP.Link/5.0.2.9)

Originally posted by psxrulez
    The Simple Freedom phones (by Alltel sold at Wal-Mart) are great for the heavy travler. They work in like 95% of the country and like 80% is the "local" area which is $0.25/min (includes long distance). Outside of the local area is $0.50/min (includes long distance). This setep is very cheap for the travler, b/c most roaming charges are over $0.50
    Virgin mobile is twenty five cents for the first ten min and then ten cents after that . They use the sprint network so it works nearly anywhere . Phones are quality kyoceras not cheap nokias like go phone

Device(s)
    Motorola V551
    Carrier(s)
    ROCKITtalk™
    Feedback Score

Post Hello

No one here has even mentioned Americas PCS (http://www.americaspcs.com), it is like the Liberty Wireless service but with a few extras, it has no contract, credit check or cancellation fee. Plus all your bills are tax free and all their plans include Unlimited Night & Weekend Minutes, I just got one of their phones from the store I work at and its a good service, its all on the Sprint network.

The best part: Once you use all your daytime minutes your Unlimited Night & Weekend minutes can still be used, your phone turns off in the day and at night & on the weekend you can use your Unlimited minutes, it's like nothing I ever seen, I purposly used all my daytime minutes just to see if that was true the furst month.

And if you dont like Americas PCS, I would say go with Virgin Mobile although there is still not Night & Weekend minutes.
    They are just my thoughts, I never forcred you to agree.

Device(s)
    Motorola v60
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Another provider is CampusCell. I havent used them so i cant speak on customer service or other issues. Their coverage maps seem to cover most of the US.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Re: Hello

Originally posted by clh01
    No one here has even mentioned Americas PCS (http://www.americaspcs.com), it is like the Liberty Wireless service but with a few extras, it has no contract, credit check or cancellation fee. Plus all your bills are tax free and all their plans include Unlimited Night & Weekend Minutes, I just got one of their phones from the store I work at and its a good service, its all on the Sprint network.

The best part: Once you use all your daytime minutes your Unlimited Night & Weekend minutes can still be used, your phone turns off in the day and at night & on the weekend you can use your Unlimited minutes, it's like nothing I ever seen, I purposly used all my daytime minutes just to see if that was true the furst month.

And if you dont like Americas PCS, I would say go with Virgin Mobile although there is still not Night & Weekend minutes.
    their service seem alright but they have a bad selection of phones, i'd rather stick with my slider

Device(s)
    HTC Incredible (VZW)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless,
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by KMB
    Another provider is CampusCell. I havent used them so i cant speak on customer service or other issues. Their coverage maps seem to cover most of the US.
    Yes, but:
    1) Their selection of phones is the v120e, the v60c, and the T720 (CDMA). Yicks.
    2) They're not really pre-paid per se, they're much more like AT&T Wireless's GoPhone.
    3) Their plans aren't so great. For my area:
    CampusCell (CDMA): $30 - 300AT, 3000N/W
    AT&T Wireless GoPhone: $30 - 200AT, 0N/W

So it's better than it seemed at first glance, but considering $30/mo is their lowest price plan, prepaid will still suit most low-use users better.

It looks to me like CampusCell runs off Verizon Wireless's network, and their America's Choice free roaming agreements for the most part. They use *86 for Voice Mail, 2 cents to receive a text message, 10 cents to send, same Mexico roaming agreements, same N/W times (Verizon's distinctive 9:01PM), etc.
    "Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." -General John Stark
    "Bring on the trumpets!"

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Regarding AmericasPCS: They advertise as tax-free. That has got to be bogus! They can't sell a product and not charge taxes. I assume this is just a marketing gimmick. The cheapest plan of 39.99 probably has the tax already built into the price, only the consumer doesn't see the breakdown.

As to Simple Freedom: In my area, Simple Freedom exclusively uses the Verizon network and I would guess that for the typical customer, it makes more economic sense to just get Verizon Free-up.

Simple Freedom: 25 cents per minute 24/7 in-network 50 cents off network.

VZW: 15 cents per minute M2M (anytime), 15 cents per minute nights/weekends, 30 cents per minute NON m2m day time, plus Free bonus weekend minutes are given with "Re-Ups" of $30 or more.

Unless one is doing extensive off-network roaming OR making extensive non M2M day time calls, VZW's Free-up is much cheaper. IF someone is using so much off network and prime-time calls, Pre-pay is just not the way to go anyway.

Device(s)
    Motorola V551
    Carrier(s)
    ROCKITtalk™
    Feedback Score

Smile Back to APCS

No I promise it is tax free, by bill is the EXACT amount of my plan every month, no taxes at all. I think by selling ther service as prepaid or "Pay as you go" as they call it they are allowed to make it tax free.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Re: Back to APCS

No I promise it is tax free, by bill is the EXACT amount of my plan every month, no taxes at all. I think by selling ther service as prepaid or "Pay as you go" as they call it they are allowed to make it tax free.
    they could be just paying the taxes themselves

Device(s)
    Sour Grapes
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (SublimeFan: SE47/1.0.00 UP.Browser/4.1.26l UP.Link/5.0.2.9)

The sales tax is probably just included im the bill or minutes . It's like if you in to a restaurant and the menu says tax included in price.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by braindead5400
    now i see why you don't get reception, you have the 8500. That is the worst phone I have ever owned and I would never recommend it to someone. I love my slider though, it gets way better reception than my 8500 did (at least here in chicago)
    Yeah, the Hyundai-made Audiovox handsets are notoriously poor. I noticed my Kyocera KE433 still gets reception where the Audiovox lost service. Quite interesting.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by VMvirginmobile
    They use the sprint network so it works nearly anywhere . Phones are quality kyoceras not cheap nokias like go phone
    LOL Sprint's network is getting better yes, but it doesn't "work nearly anywhere"

The Nokia 3590 and 3595 packaged for GoPhone service is actually pretty good. Honestly, I would trust those phones more than my Kyocera at least. My Kyocera's firmware is quite slow and it froze three times already

Overall, VM is decent but not for me. I definitely prefer T-Mo and AT&T prepaid (TDMA) as a backup.

Device(s)
    T-Mobile Dash
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast