Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: T-mobile Fax Mail - Receiving Faxes on Mobile Phone

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Craigriver View Post
    This is an ancient string, but I'm curious whether the fax capability is still offered with T-Mobile? Or, has this feature gone the way of the dodo bird and other long disappeared features? I'm going to have someone try to send me something, but would be interested if anyone knows.
    Here's a topic from T-Mobile's support site discussing this:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The last thing I ever want to hear again is the sound of a Fax over my cell phone. Most modern day fax machines will send them as email documents.

However this is how to send and receive fax on Gmail

Email to Fax on Google Gmail

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    The last thing I ever want to hear again is the sound of a Fax over my cell phone. ....
    It didn't work that way on GSM phones. The modem was at the switch, not the phone. You might have separate lines for incoming FAX and data calls. On some phones you could tell the phone that the next call would be either data or FAX. The system would then connect your line to the appropriate modem. The phone had to be connected to the PC for either to work. You never heard any whistles or beeps. I had an Italian prepaid once with an interesting setup. In Italy phone numbers don't have to be a set length. (You might stay in a small hotel where the hotel's number was 3456789 and each room was 34567891 thru 34567898.) The SIM had several numbers. The main one was like 78912345. The incoming FAX number was like 789123451 and the incoming data line was like 789123452. It was an interesting system that we couldn't use here because all our numbers are 10 digits.

FAX capability could easily be integrated into smartphones.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Hello guys, I'm a newbie here. I would like to set up fax service in my new office. Is there anything for free?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Somebody will complain that Alessio22 is reviving an ancient thread, but the old threads are interesting.

I am typing this on a real PC, a custom-built system in a box that had a few empty slots on the motherboard, and probably still does. Anyway, I used to have occasional need for faxes. I put a little card in the PC that was a fax modem. I think the software was part of Windows 7, or else it was free or included. It is a super thing when it works. You can receive a fax and save it as a file. That lets you print it out or forward it over the net as an image. To send a fax, you print to some kind of driver, or there will be some way to fax a scanned image.

The limitation was that the little fax modem would fail. I believe the cause would be lightning or some other transient on the land line. I have had 2 of the fax modems fail and didn't replace the second one. In desperation I could send a fax from one multi-function printer-scanner, but haven't played with that in a long time. Now our "land line" goes to a cable modem in the basement, so maybe it's more immune to transients.

In any case, on rare occasions, receiving a fax as an image would be exactly what was needed. So it was a good system and the little fax modem only cost a few bucks. See if those are still for sale at Micro Center or Newegg, for example.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    1. This thread is about 16 1/2 years old. Technologies have radically changed over time.
    2. Are you trying to setup a standard fax machine or receive on your cell phone ?
    3. Have you asked your landline or cellular provider about your options ?
    4. In general, don't post new questions to old threads. Create a new thread instead.
    5. You need to offer more information for more help.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alessio22 View Post
    Hello guys, I'm a newbie here. I would like to set up fax service in my new office. Is there anything for free?
    This works for iOS and Android

https://www.ifaxapp.com
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    Hi Alessio, as the video in post #17 above explains, you probably need a paid service of some sort to send and receive virtual faxes. Ring Central which is mentioned in the video still offers a free trial. Ifaxapp that Real Danny posted also offers a trial. I'm sure there are others.

The feature that T-Mobile used to offer, however, doesn't appear to be in existence any longer.

Good luck!

Feedback Score
    A Brother all-in-one multifunction laser printer is ~$150 or less. They print, copy, scan, and fax. You need a printer, copier, scanner for the office anyway. Right?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    A Brother all-in-one multifunction laser printer is ~$150 or less. They print, copy, scan, and fax. You need a printer, copier, scanner for the office anyway. Right?
    Alessio22, I agree that would be a good option and cover all bases. Don't forget, you will need a landline phone connection for that type of device and not an application to download to the phone. You can get a cheaper inkjet all-in-one device for under $100 from HP, Cannon or Brother.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Alessio22, I agree that would be a good option and cover all bases. Don't forget, you will need a landline phone connection for that type of device and not an application to download to the phone. You can get a cheaper inkjet all-in-one device for under $100 from HP, Cannon or Brother.
    True about the price of ink jet vs laser device price. The cost per page printed is much lower with a laser and can quickly make up the difference in device price. I have been running my Brother for ~7 years on a $15 third party toner cartridge* for 1528 pages - 218 pages a year light use. I will never buy another ink jet printer unless I desperately need to print color. I was spending about $50 a year for ink when I used one.

I cannot say enough good about the value of my Brother. I have had no problems with it. Brother toner is the best price per page. One caveat: They do not print greyscale images very well.

All of this is moot if what someone really wants is an online service. I looked a while back and did not find any free services that are suitable for business use.

*The third party toner I bought does not have the quality of OEM. It rubs off the page a bit. For my personal use it is ok. Even at OEM toner price it is still a lot cheaper per page than ink jet.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I agree that a laser printer is cheaper per page compared to inkjet and is more appropriate for higher volume usage. Ironically, I remember reading somewhere that inkjet printer ink per unit is the most expensive liquid commonly sold today, much higher that the price of crude or refined oil.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    ..... Ironically, I remember reading somewhere that inkjet printer ink per unit is the most expensive liquid commonly sold today, much higher that the price of crude or refined oil.
    The ink is cheap. The package is expensive.

Feedback Score
    Free fax service is still usable? I would like to set up fax service in my new office. Please help me.

Feedback Score
    I use OneSuite to get a fax number and incoming calls. It’s $1 per month. Incoming fax is sent as pdf via email.

To send outgoing fax, I use Interfax. It’s pay per use. Comes out to 11˘ per page. I add $10 credit every few years. I think I’ve had my interfax account for more than a decade now. It works for me because I only need to send fax a few times per year.

Hmmn, now that I think about it, that $1/mo OneSuite charge for fax isn’t actually good since I have very little use for incoming fax. I’ll have to look into that. I do use the OneSuite account for making the occasional calls to overseas landline and mobile numbers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast