Thread: Handy hints for P800

Device(s)
    Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Re: Handy hints for P800

Originally posted by craigiecraigie4

• Feel free to install and uninstall aps, but reguarly use Tracker's file manager to clean out the crap that gets left behind
    Can you elaborate on this a bit?

Feedback Score

p800 case in south africa

Hi guys
    I am new here and need help.

Is there anybody who knows where I can get a krusell or piel frama case for my new p800 before I drop it again(!) and it is lost forever.
    I live in cape town south africa and paypal does not accept payment from here.

Thanks (maybe the cellphone guru knows)

Device(s)
    Telecomms &
    Carrier(s)
    MTN: You have 2 work with these guys 4 a bit 2 c how good they r vs Vodacom!
    Feedback Score
    Broadoak,
    I got my Krussel at a Vodashop in Fourways Mall. It holds p800 vertically, has magnetic click flap, and I filed a slot in the belt clip so it can NEVER fall off (fairly secure out of box - but this is better). VERY pleased with it! Sure you can go to V&A waterfront for same. It was around R150 - bargain at twice the price I thought.

Device(s)
    Telecomms &
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Well, it's been around 6 months of intense usage, and here's my version of a definitive setup for the p800:

Asoluteley essential software:
    - Tracker 3.2 (with intuitive tab-type skin - tabz is good) with xtra FileMan and TaskMan
    - WorldMate
    - QuickContact (for drive-n-dial)
    - Sman (especially to fix lost app list)
    - PopOnTop keyboard (go to their yahoo group site for my thumbable keyboard layout - typing with 2 thumbs rocks!)
    - MobiPocket Reader pro (I've read about 30 ebooks in the last few months - it really works unbelievably well! U have 2 try it 2 overcome concenrs that atmosphere will be lost, and to experience bedtime reading - let alone bank queues, boring meetings, etc)
    - PowerCalc (best of all calcs + sci calc)
    - Opera
    - SClock (only screen saver that does not chew power, works reliably and predictably, works with PopOnTop, etc etc)
    - Camcorder if you're into that

Good games:
    - Lemmings - best! Just like original!
    - ExBubble
    - MGS pool
    - Strategic assault
    - Chess

Key settings:
    - PopOnTop takes over blue key - lost to the world but worth the sacrifice. v1.0 needs work, but still worth it right now.
    - Cam key left for photos
    - Tracker set so jog down calls tracker (like a start button), jog up closes current app (good habit for battery life)
    - SClock activated by power button, and unlocked by jog in then roll down
    These settings have no fights with each other - except it's now tought to power off for flight mode! Can't get a better solution tho (tracker screen lock won't unlock cos PopOnTop dominates blue button, QuickContact screen lock very unreliable, PsiClock has some issues I forget, built in lock just plain crap, etc etc)

Battery life a reliable 2 days incl on all night in bad reception area. ie non of these apps chews power.

Hope that's useful...
    Last edited by craigiecraigie4; 03-11-2004 at 06:05 AM.

Device(s)
    x70
    Feedback Score
    how can i check the firmware of my p800?

Device(s)
    iMate JAM, SE P910i
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by plevyadophy
    @ Fletche (and anyone else)

NO NO NO!!!

You were WRONG WRONG WRONG to do what you did with bluetooth on the plane.

Well sort of......

For a start, when the the P800 is in Flight Mode BOTH BT and the phone are disabled.

This should tell you something.

For you to have used BT you must have had the P800 working in normal mode which meant your P800 was giving off radio frequency (RF) signals.

RF is BANNED on nearly all airlines.

As to whether plain old BT is definitely bad for planes I ain't sure but I would imagine it is (especially as it is disabled in Flight Mode on the P800).

You are extremely lucky not to have been charged with endangering the aircraft, something that can result in a short prison sentence, even on a first offence (certainly that's often the case here in England and some parts of the USA)

Now to complicate matters, some airlines are now improving/uprating their planes to allow passengers to use WiFi and mobile/satellite phones.

If you wanna do that sorta thing you would be advised to get the airlines policy on it (in writing) and keep it with you on the plane just in case you get stroppy staff who dont know what the policy is and save yourself from being arrested.

By the way, using BT on airplanes notwithstanding, I liked your tips. :-)
    First, all built-in plane phones are wireless (vzw). Airline would like you to switch your phones off so you can use their $4/minute cell phone.

Using the argument that if cell phones were not dangerous then there would not be a flight mode is funny. SE is the only company that has such mode first of all. And If it was really dangerous wouldn't you think that security would have a problem with you bringing your phone on the plane.

If cell phone was really dangerous to planes, Bin Ladin and his goons would have a field day... A couple of guys with cell phone skills and coordinated calls can bring the plane down...

Device(s)
    Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by clarkkentva
    First, all built-in plane phones are wireless (vzw). Airline would like you to switch your phones off so you can use their $4/minute cell phone.

Using the argument that if cell phones were not dangerous then there would not be a flight mode is funny. SE is the only company that has such mode first of all. And If it was really dangerous wouldn't you think that security would have a problem with you bringing your phone on the plane.

If cell phone was really dangerous to planes, Bin Ladin and his goons would have a field day... A couple of guys with cell phone skills and coordinated calls can bring the plane down...
    ××××, that's a very good argument.

Device(s)
    Telecomms &
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Gents, phons DO interfere. I was in a Gulfstream cockpit the other day, and asked the pilot if he'd mind me turning on my P800. In flgiht mode it was fine, when I turned on normal mode all the displays started wobbling (in modern aircraft things like the artificial horizon are actually graphics screens). Now, I was damned close to them, but the pilot explained that when too many phones are turned on, they get this interference and it pisses them off (much like u driving around with a dirty windscreen and bouncing spedometer).

My i-mate also has flight mode - prblem is that Lufthansa, SAA, BA, and Malysian airlines all don't get it - they say "No PDA's full stop during take off and landing". I can definitively say that in flight (PDA) mode my P800 did NOT interfere - but maybe they need simple rules for these simple staff.

PS: Don't believe flight deck intrnal phones are wireless - they all seem pretty basic to me.

Feedback Score
    How cool! Remember when I had a phone like that above!

Device(s)
    Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiinas2004 View Post
    How cool! Remember when I had a phone like that above!
    Thanks for bumping a 10 year old thread to remind me of how much technology has advanced.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5