Ericsson T39m
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile UK
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    @Fletche (and everyone else)

Re: SAVING MEMORY SPACE ON MSDuo

To get this tip to work successfully you need to read the ENTIRE thread I mentioned.

Especially, near the end where the dutch guy, myself and another user discuss the issues just raised by Fletche.

Essentially, to give a brief outline, the issues you talk of (20 min Restore) can be resloved by renaming phone in PC Suite. It takes long to Restore because after changing cluster size you will end up with two copies of the Memory Stick data.

I will say no more as I don't wish to hog Craigiecraigie4's excellent thread. The only thing I will say is go to the My-Symbian site and read the ENTIRE thread and you will have NO problems.

P.S.

Glad to see that Craigiecraigie4's thread has resulted in at least one person (Fletche) trying out something and getting success.

Device(s)
    Telecomms &
    Carrier(s)
    MTN: You have 2 work with these guys 4 a bit 2 c how good they r vs Vodacom!
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Updated screenlock:
    go to www.un*s*ek*ur*e.com.b*r (remove *'s) to get screenloc. It's freeware, but I don't know the origin url. I someone can manage to google it better than I, post the original author so (s)he gets some credit.

Screenlock is the ONLY proggie that turns off your screen backlight, and disables screen presses except 4 a click. Now, when u pres the screen in your pocket you do not dial, nor do you turn on the light for 30 seconds and drain your battery. HandyDay, Tracker, and ALL the other apps I;ve tried get this WRONG! KEWL tip me thinks!

PS may have to wait a day for above web site to approve and post
    PPS: no instructions: to unlock jog up, down, press in

Device(s)
    Ericsson T39m
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile UK
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    A possibly excellent tip...for some people.

There are two probs you need to be aware of with that Screenlock prog:

It was in a way badly written. Apparantly, so I am told (www.my-symbian.com) all progs for the Symbian platform have to have a unique ID number.

This program/programmer appears to have issed itself/themselves with the same ID number as the freeware screen capture SCap by Peter van Sebille (www.yipton.net). This results in a clash.

The clash is exhibits itself with an error message telling you that you already have the program installed (you haven't you just have SCap installed!!).

Secondly, both my friend and I noticed that when you do get it installed that there is no way of unlocking the screen except for turning the P800 off and then on again.

This may be something to do with the fact that Screenlock wasn't tested on later P800 firmware.

It's a pity really coz I really would like for this program to work. Its such a great idea.

Device(s)
    Telecomms &
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    INSTRUCTIONS FOR SCREENLOCK:
    Use jog:
    - 1 roll up
    - 1 roll down
    - 1 click puch into phone

You're right about unique code. It's an issue for any of us that programme little apps ont he side. Sometime's it's more ball-ache to register your app than to write it in the first place. Now U either have to use screenlock OR SCap.

Do U recall where U found the original?

Device(s)
    Ericsson T39m
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile UK
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Yes I know about the up, down, in thing. But it still don't work

As to where I got the original, that was on the UIQ/P800 Forum at My-Symbian site (www.my-symbian.com)

Device(s)
    P800, HBH-35
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Autostart without Autostart.

If you want applications to start automaticly when you switch on your phone and you don't want to spend money to be able to do this, this is for you.

It's best described with an example:
    Let's say you want to autostart Tracker which is installed on your MS-Duo.
    Create a .txt file with an editor like jText (free!). In this case call it Tracker.lnk (but you can call in antything (.lnk)).
    Add the following line to the file:
    \System\Apps\Tracker\Tracker.app
    Save the file in D:\System\Startup

jText doesn't allow you to save to the System folder but you can save it to your documents folder or something. With a file manager like the one in Tracker (if you buy only one application, buy this!) you can move it to D:\System\Startup.

If your application is on C: than put the .lnk file on C:\System\Startup
    Never put the disk letter inside the .lnk file

This works and is absolutely reliable.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I wanna be a boss
    I wanna be a big boss
    I wanna boss the world around
    I wanna be the biggest boss that ever bossed the world around

Device(s)
    SE P800
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    @craigiecraigie4

Re:

'Memory stick tip is GREAT! However, I don;t believe you can reformat an MS without an MS reader in your PC.
    Any ideas on how us plain-p800 users can do this? I'd happily take the speed degredation for this increase.'

plevyadophy is right in saying that you need an external device to reformat the MS Duo, but you don't necesarily need a card reader to do the job. SOME pieces of kit like digital cameras and videos will allow you to format the MS Duo to your liking.

Read the Dutchmans thread, you'll get the drift.

If you don't want to or can't, for what ever reason, buy a card reader, I would adopt the following strategy:

Then the next time you see someone with the appropriate piece of kit (camera or whatever), buy them a beer, fiddle with their kit and reformat your disk.

I'm always amazed how helpful people can be if you just ask them.

I never worry about my battery dying while there are people around and obviously always recipricate.

Cheers boss - nice thread you created

Device(s)
    Telecomms &
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    zhubajie
    I have tracker on my memory stck. I could NEVER get this startup idea to work. I created a file in notepad, saved it as anything.lnk, and put it in d:\system\startup (had to create startup folder). I've seen similar complaints on Esato where it works for C: but not D:.
    Any thoughts? Perhaps creating the file in notepad is the problem. Maybe you could post a file in the correct format if this is the case (ie are jText files a unique format?)

Device(s)
    P800, HBH-35
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Thumbs up

Originally posted by craigiecraigie4
    zhubajie
    I have tracker on my memory stck. I could NEVER get this startup idea to work. I created a file in notepad, saved it as anything.lnk, and put it in d:\system\startup (had to create startup folder). I've seen similar complaints on Esato where it works for C: but not D:.
    Any thoughts? Perhaps creating the file in notepad is the problem. Maybe you could post a file in the correct format if this is the case (ie are jText files a unique format?)

I used jText and used the .lnk file made by Handy Day as an example.
    Maybe it has someting to do with having or not having a CR/LF at the end of your line. I don't know for sure.
    I didn't gave an enter and i didn't put a D: in front of the line and it worked for me.
    I have the latest firmware. Maybe that has something to do with it.
    I didn't have to create the Startup folder but I guess Handy Day made it for me. I have everything installed on my 128MB MSD.
    I don't know if it makes any difference but I always look at uppercase if it's used somewhere else the same way like Startup instead of startup.
    Before I used the program Autostart but that didn't work for me 90% of the time. This has worked for me 100% of the time!
    The name of the'.lnk file shouldn't matter but call in Tracker.lnk anyway and put unly "\System\Apps\Tracker\Tracker.app" in it without a CR/LF.

I hope this helps you.

Marcel
    Last edited by zhubajie; 09-28-2003 at 11:38 AM.

Device(s)
    Telecomms &
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Tried everything except using jText as the editor:
    - CR/LF and no CR/LF
    - Correct capitalisation for system folder and tracker path
    - Latest R2F firmware

It works for C: applications, just not D:

Device(s)
    P800, HBH-35
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Tried everything except using jText as the editor:
    - CR/LF and no CR/LF
    - Correct capitalisation for system folder and tracker path
    - Latest R2F firmware

It works for C: applications, just not D:
    I really have no clue since it worked for me right from the start.
    Maybe there are other forum members who want to share their experiences and ideas.

As a last resort; remove the Startup directory on D: Install Handy Day on D: and set it to autostart.
    Rename the autostart file to Tracker.lnk and change the path and filename in it.

Hope it works.

Device(s)
    Telecomms &
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Nope! Even installed jtext to edit the file. Definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different result...feeling pretty daft now. I'm certain that Tracker 3 (free u/g and due any day now) will handle autostart like HandyDay (incidentally, HD did autostart using this file). Go figure.

Device(s)
    P800, HBH-35
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Nope! Even installed jtext to edit the file. Definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different result...feeling pretty daft now. I'm certain that Tracker 3 (free u/g and due any day now) will handle autostart like HandyDay (incidentally, HD did autostart using this file). Go figure.
    Handy Day did autostart from D: but Tracker didn't????

Here's my .lnk file. Since I installed it it worked every single time.

I ZIPped it because I couldn't attach a .LNK file.

Let me know if this one works.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Device(s)
    Telecomms &
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    From dtako (which he picked up from another thread on Howard):

If you have more than 1 memory stick, carry the second (and even a third) in the space between your battery and cover. You can load your original 16Mb stick with pictures, eBooks or games, and use the new MSD for your primary apps. Thanks for this.

Device(s)
    SonyEricsson P800
    Carrier(s)
    At&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Wink

Yup, just checked. I'm still a girl!

From dtako (which he picked up from another thread on Howard):

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast