Thread: WANTING TO KNOW: is it possible to unlock telus phones and use them on Rogers?

Device(s)
    FIDO (TERRIBLE)
    Feedback Score

WANTING TO KNOW: is it possible to unlock telus phones and use them on Rogers?

as the post said
    is it possible to get a telus phone and unlock it to be used on rogers?
    because the main area this phone is going to be used in, GSM doesnt really cover (bayview&16th)

i have the a520 in mind

let me know!
    thanks

Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    simple answer nope.

even if you did get it on the rogers network it would still be on the gsm network not cdma b/c the network isnt built into the phone.

The Beaver Fever, Catch It!!

B/S/T Stuff

WTB: Nexus One

Email = [UserName]@gmail.com

Device(s)
    RIM BlackBerry Torch 9800
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score

Re: WANTING TO KNOW: is it possible to unlock telus phones and use them on Rogers?

Originally posted by ris-tech
    as the post said
    because the main area this phone is going to be used in, GSM doesnt really cover (bayview&16th)

i have the a520 in mind

let me know!
    thanks
    ris-tech -

short, sweet answer - NO.

long answer - Rogers/Microcell use what is called a GSM network, a cellular network standard/protocol based on an older standard called TDMA.

Telus/Bell use a CDMA2000 network, another cellular network standard/protocol, based on the older-but-newer-than-TDMA CDMAone.

The two are totally incompatible with each other.

You say that Rogers GSM doesn't cover this area. Changing phones will not do the trick. It is a NETWORK problem, not a handset problem. Call Rogers about and complain.

Now, say, that you wanted to use that a520 on Bell. All of Telus's phones are locked, meaning that they can only be used on networks on which Telus specifys. Even if you did manage to unlock the phone, Bell wouldn't accept it , as they do not accept Foreign ESN's or, phones that they did not sell. Some CDMA providors (ie Verizon) do accept Foreign ESNs, but both CDMA providers in Canada dont.

Same goes with useing a Rogers GSM phone on Microcell (Fido). Both providors sell locked phones, however, it is admittedly easier to unlock GSM phones than CDMA phones, and, GSM providers HAVE to accept foreign phones, as it is part of the protocol.

Hope this helps.

/jonathan

Device(s)
    Kyocera Blade
    Carrier(s)
    Telus Mobility (Pay & Talk)
    Feedback Score
    3 questions for Hailing:

1) If you had a GSM phone from any provider, you could get it unlocked and use it with any provider?

2)Can you get a dual-mode GSM/AMPS phone? I live in the boonies.

3)I notice you use the SE t206. That looks like a cool phone. It's for telus right? What do you think of it?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by canrocks
    3 questions for Hailing:

1) If you had a GSM phone from any provider, you could get it unlocked and use it with any provider?

2)Can you get a dual-mode GSM/AMPS phone? I live in the boonies.

3)I notice you use the SE t206. That looks like a cool phone. It's for telus right? What do you think of it?
    1. As long as it uses the right frequency for the place you live in. North American GSM uses GSM 850(Rogers)/1900(Rogers and Microcell) (I'm taking this from a Canadian GSM Provider perspective, the American GSM providers use these frequencies too, but I'm not sure which ones) The rest of the world uses GSM 900/1800. So, if you had a phone, for example, that was GSM 900/1800 ONLY, then yes, you can unlock it, but, then you can't use it in North America. Look in the Marketplace forum for places to get a phone unlocked.

2. Yes. Fido has sells the Nokia 6340.

http://www.fido.ca/portal/product/ha...&lang=en&cat=1

Review: http://www.arcx.com/sites/Nokia%206340.htm

Not the most attractive phone, but it does the job. Rogers does not have a GSM/AMPS solution.

Why dont you go Bell/Telus instead? They probably cover your area, though you'd have to check.

3. Yes, the t206 is a great phone. It is for Telus, right. It has the best RF of any current Telus phone, and decent audio quality and battery life.

The t206 is discontinued, but you can get is refurbished for 99.99 -- a great deal. If you are in the market for a new phone, keep in mind that Telus will be launching a whole slew of new phones in the next few months.

Hope this answers your questions, and welcome to HoFo! If you have any questions, feel free to PM/IM me. I use MSN messenger the most: [email protected] and the other IM contact info is at the bottom of this post.

/jonathan

Device(s)
    Kyocera Blade
    Carrier(s)
    Telus Mobility (Pay & Talk)
    Feedback Score
    Whoa, thanks! For your information, I am already on Telus with my tri-mode 8150 and loving it. The only reasons the t206 caught my eye was because it looked cool (SE always makes such nice phones), and because it was so cheap. Now, I can see that this beauty is deep.

Thanks for answering all my questions, I feel so much smarter!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by canrocks
    Whoa, thanks! For your information, I am already on Telus with my tri-mode 8150 and loving it. The only reasons the t206 caught my eye was because it looked cool (SE always makes such nice phones), and because it was so cheap. Now, I can see that this beauty is deep.

Thanks for answering all my questions, I feel so much smarter!
    hey, no problem! thats what HoFo's all about. oh, and just to tell ya, the T206 will be the last phone that Sony Ericsson will make for the North American CDMA market, AFAIK. They pulled out of the market about 5/6 months ago.

Device(s)
    motorola mpx200
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

no

it is possible to unlock telus phones to work on bell
    and vice versa but its not possible to amke it work on rogers!
    MoVe OvA YaLL AmAtUeRs

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score

Re: no

Originally posted by ninjadeath
    it is possible to unlock telus phones to work on bell
    and vice versa but its not possible to amke it work on rogers!
    AFAIK, that is not true. Neither Telus or Bell will allow foreign ESN's. If you do manage to unlock a CDMA phone (which is very hard in canada, as you need the MSL code) I'm not saying its impossible, but you have to be VERRY VERRY high up in company ranks (or have great sources) to be able to do that (a la HC-no I )

And yes, of course, CDMA phone will not work with rogers (TDMA/GSM)

Device(s)
    Iphone 5 64gb white
    Carrier(s)
    Bell HSPA+
    Feedback Score

Re: WANTING TO KNOW: is it possible to unlock telus phones and use them on Rogers?

as the post said

i have the a520 in mind

let me know!
    thanks
    I have the solution for you. As everyone has told you, you cannot use your CDMA phone on a gsm or tdma network. If your on Rogers GSM, why don't you just get a samsung s105 or s100. It looks identical to the a520. I've been comparing the specs on the phone and it pretty looks the same. It looks the same physically as well. The only part that looks different is the back of the phone.

a520 click here
    s105 click here

Device(s)
    FIDO (TERRIBLE)
    Feedback Score
    i cannot get gsm phones, because in the area that my relatives live in, there is no signal, unless you walk out to the middle of the street
    (bayview & 16th)

Device(s)
    Iphone 5 64gb white
    Carrier(s)
    Bell HSPA+
    Feedback Score
    oh, my bad. I didn't even read your first post properly.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    i cannot get gsm phones, because in the area that my relatives live in, there is no signal, unless you walk out to the middle of the street
    (bayview & 16th)
    just to reiterate,

The only way to fix a proven dead zone is by contacting the service provider.