Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Obi202 Kaput

Device(s)
    S24+/A32/A23 5G, Pixel 8/7/6a, Moto Edge+ 2023/One 5G Ace/G Power 5g 2023, iPhone SE3
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, AT&T, Visible, PagePlus, TracFone
    Feedback Score

Obi202 Kaput

Well, I think my Obi202 with Google Voice has finally quit. I left it unchanged after support ended last December, and I wondered how long it would keep working. A few days ago, I noticed my cordless phone displaying "Check Tel Line". My modem, WiFi router, and phone number (checked via cell phone app) are all fine.

For now, I plugged my house devices into a Verizon home phone box with a cheap Verizon-based MVNO SIM/plan that the Google Voice number is forwarded to. Clumsy work-around for calling out using GV number (unless I use a cell phone), but I would prefer to keep the number on GV to be able to use it on a cell phone, as well (with WiFi or data). That house line does not get much use, anyway.

Has anyone else's Obi device finally given up the ghost?

Feedback Score
    I have 2 GV lines on my OBI and they to working. work fine. Have you tried rebooting the OBI?

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojniles View Post
    I have 2 GV lines on my OBI and they to working. work fine. Have you tried rebooting the OBI?

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

Did you try to reconfigure your OBI on obitalk website? I did and it worked. I almost threw the obi away. thinking it stopped working after December 2023

Device(s)
    LG Aristo 2 Plus (T-Mo); Moto G Power 2020 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    My Obi 200 is still working fine, and I have two backups I pre-configured (purchased at sale prices over the last couple of years before any announcement of support ending) on the ObiTalk website that I pretested as good before the website deadline was reached (in case one goes down due to electronic/mechanical reasons).

@echance20: When did you last visit the ObiTalk website to do any configuration tweaking? That was supposed to be over and done with, and even confirmed so here somewhere, I thought. I haven't visited it recently to check, but I assume the site can be reached, just no changes take hold.

Device(s)
    S24+/A32/A23 5G, Pixel 8/7/6a, Moto Edge+ 2023/One 5G Ace/G Power 5g 2023, iPhone SE3
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I did reboot the Obi but it was still the same. I did not know the ObiTalk website was still up, although I do not know if reconfiguration is possible or even needed. I will check it out, anyway.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Just a couple of basic troubleshooting tips: Take a look at the Settings in the GV app on any phone you might have it installed on (if any), and be sure the Obi device is displayed and toggled on. And if you have any other fully corded phone, trying using just that plugged into the Obi's RJ11 jack instead of your cordless phone base, to rule out that phone set being the source of the problem (even though it appears to work with your Verizon Home device).

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    My Obi202 shows as connected on the ObiTalk website and the configuration is good (unchanged), but it still doesn't work.

I checked the Google Voice website settings for the line and noticed that the Obi device is no longer listed as a forwarding device. I don't know how that happened. I can't add it back since it doesn't have a regular phone number to receive a text/call verification.

Oh well.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for letting me post.

My Obi200 with GVoice started having similar symptoms on 3/30/24. After t-shooting a few days I'm guessing this is not a hardware issue because I can get the Obi200 to work for short periods of time.

It would have been nice to get an "end-of-life" email notification from Obihai/HP/Poly. I had no idea any of this was happening until a few days ago.
    --------------------
    Symptoms, t-shooting details if this may be helpful :

-I started getting Anveo E911 "SIP Offline" emails and "check tel line" messages on my wireless analog phone I use with the Obi200.

-I can put the Obi200 back online by powering off/on the Obi200. It will then connect to Obitalk temporarily. Tel line and dialtone works.

-Sometimes Obitalk will show Obi200 connected but Panasonic wireless phone shows "check tel line" and no dialtone.

-I see "line in use" and "check tel line" cycling and sometimes periods of no error messages at all, with line working.

-Sometimes I can get a dialtone when Obi200 is connected on Obitalk by attempting to make a call and leaving the phone off the hook until I hear a bit of static and two short low frequency tones (G2 on piano, a bit under 100Hz). A few seconds afterwards, there is a dialtone and I've been able to make a call to my cell phone. Not sure if a longer call would be disconnected or not.

-Sometimes I can get Obi200 connected by saving it's Obitalk config page.

-Sometimes the only way to get connected is reboot Obi200. Sometimes after rebooting I get dial tone immediately.

-I occasionally can access the Obi200 admin page but most of the time get "unable to connect" in browser. I had been thinking of flashing the firmware re the "obifirmware.com" page but am not sure how to access the Obi200 admin page now. This firmware is supposed to help connect to GVoice without using the Obitalk portal - but I have not done much research on this yet.

-After disconnecting my router and Obi200 from the internet and rebooting both, I was able to reboot the router and Obi200 and gain access to the Obi200 hardware admin web page directly and back up it's configuration. So it looks like I should be able to flash the firmware if I decide to try that after looking into it.

Trying to figure out what to do at the moment. Assume that the Obi200 hardware is OK and port my GVoice # to Anveo or another VoIP provider? At least GVoice still forwards to my cell #.

I was thinking of doing a hard reset on Obi200 but was not sure what would happen with Obitalk config - whether it would reset the Obi200 OR remove the GVoice config from the Obitalk portal and not allow re-registering the Obi0200.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I think the comment about your Anveo Alerts may be telling. I have them as my E911 service in my SP2 slot. I've gotten those alerts whenever I've had power outages or Internet service problems, especially if they affect the connectivity between my separate cable modem and router (power comes back but the timing is off with how the modem offers DHCP and the router lost its IP address and can't get another until I manually intervene.

Also, even though you likely configured Anveo through the ObiTalk portal, it should not be subject to what's going on with Google Voice servers. The thing that is disappearing/has disappeared is the portal's functionality. Once you're configured, as far as GV goes, it's a matter of what's happening with them, and there's no influence from Obi, unless a setting got changed, which is unlikely since the portal should be non-functional.

On the other hand, the ObiTalk device should be configurable and usable with other SIP-based services using the embedded web page of the device, and any manual settings known for that service that can be applied through that (I think most services have a user base that has already figured this out—using an Obi without access to the portal). So there shouldn't be a reason the Anveo service got interrupted even if Google shut off their connection to it (for GV, and there's plenty of testimony that hasn't happened). The device is hardware and should work with conventional SIP services independent of the GV thing.

So in your case (perhaps unlike the other guys), there might be something else going on. Maybe cabling to your router, or the RJ45 jack on the router (is there another one available?). Any other connected devices exhibiting problems? Have there been any power events that might have affected either the Obi itself or even it's AC adapter (power supply)? DC voltage at its output correct and fairly clean (no excess ripple that would cause problems in the Obi)? That would require an oscilloscope to analyze; not something just anyone would have around.

I'd venture that if the Anveo is going out and coming back, something along those lines, or the device itself failing, could be the reason.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDigitalAge View Post
    My Obi200 with GVoice started having similar symptoms on 3/30/24.
    Your description sounds exactly like mine. If you log into the website for your Google Voice line, is the Obi shown as a forwarding device?

Feedback Score
    Thanks, whacker!

Funny you'd mention - I do have a Tek 2236 sitting on the shelf here. Used it for the first time in 20 years or so checking ripple on an audio mixer power supply I had to rebuild last year.

I've got everything on a UPS here, so no issues with power problems or surges. I did check ethernet cable in different router port and also swapped for a different cable. Have had no previous problems with the devices connecting after bringing the UPS back up after a power outage here.

I've got Anveo E911 on SP2 as well and before the recent problems would occasionally get "SIP off line" "Sip back on line" emails overnight. Probably internet service problem as you mentioned, someone rebooting their servers. If the Obitalk portal was having problems, maybe that would have something to do with both the SIP dropping GVoice and Anveo E911? But I had been wondering if it was hardware.

I think there might be a way to check power to the Obi using the hardware admin web page but would have to figure out a way to check with the scope when the power supply was under load from the Obi but probably a good idea to check ripple on the power supply connector as well.

This does seem like an interesting coincidence and timing with mframe's problem though.

Feedback Score
    mframe - My Google Voice settings are showing 2 devices, "Web" and the Obi. Your issue did sound really similar to what I'm seeing here, and the timing is suspicious as well. Going to think about this a bit more and try to figure out what my best option is!

Feedback Score
    >whacker : AC adapter (power supply)? DC voltage at its output correct and fairly clean (no excess ripple that would cause problems in the Obi)? That would require an oscilloscope to analyze; not something just anyone would have around.

Don't have time for the scope this morning but I did a quick DMM voltage check :
    11.72VDC and .002 AC ripple. If this is a hardware issue, it has to be the Obi itself although I'm not sure what the DC voltage is under the Obi200 load.

If I can determine that a factory reset is NOT going to delete my Google Voice SIP registration on the ObiTalk website, I'll probably try that next I think.

I can still coax a connection/dial tone out of the Obi.

Feedback Score
    Any old 12V psu will be fine just match the plug and polarity

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have 2 obi's here, 200 and 202. One from 2016 (200) other from 2017. Both been in service since then. Both fully operational as of today with no glitches to GV or callcentric.

Both have had the modded fw with offline gv config ever since the fw became available (2018?). I haven't touched the obiportal in that long as well. The way both are configured, neither attempts to connect to obi portal for any provisioning - there's an admin option to disable this. Even if they attempted, specific firewall rules block it any way.

However, issues with anveo should not be related to anything gv. Do you have a backup xml from the device config? I would attempt to factory reset the device, divorce it from obitalk then restore the xml. Note if you have any configured gv slots, those will be reset and will need to be provisioned. You will need to reach out to naf on dslr to obtain how to instructions and download the modded fw from obifirmware.com.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast