Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: International Wi-Fi Calling

Feedback Score

International Wi-Fi Calling

I am running Android 13 and have wi-fi calling enabled. I have an upcoming trip to Canada planned. Will wi-fi calling work while in Canada to other Canadian phone numbers?

Feedback Score
    If it works in one place it should work anywhere.

But if your provider is US-based, then that's where it is originating from, so it counts as a call from the US to Canada

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cpq100 View Post
    I am running Android 13 and have wi-fi calling enabled. I have an upcoming trip to Canada planned. Will wi-fi calling work while in Canada to other Canadian phone numbers?
    No, you can only call US numbers unless your plan allows international calls.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a XL; Moto E4; LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    Google Voice; T-Mobile Postpaid Mobile Data; FreedomPop; FreeUp; Dent; 3UK
    Feedback Score
    Can you call Canadian #s from your phone # now? If yes, then yes.

Feedback Score
    It is a Tracfone phone and it is on the Verizon network. I have not as of yet tried to call Canada from the U.S.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    It is a Tracfone phone and it is on the Verizon network. I have not as of yet tried to call Canada from the U.S.
    Well, if you want to know the answer, try it.

416-763-7325 , Walmart , Ontario

418-659-4882 , Canadian Tire , Québec

613-476-6561 , Metro , Prince Edward

Feedback Score
    Thanks for those numbers. I can't currently call them. Checking the Tracfone site I noticed they have a Global Calling Card. I assume buying that would allow me to call?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for those numbers. I can't currently call them. Checking the Tracfone site I noticed they have a Global Calling Card. I assume buying that would allow me to call?
    I can't confirm either way, but read the fine print on the internet page to confirm how it can be used. Never forget the old saying about "assuming"......

For example, when I was a CS rep for At&t postpaid, we occasionally got calls from upset customers who bought "prepaid" cards that were neither endorsed nor sold by them and traveled internationally using their US phone #'s. It happened often enough that when they got back to the US and were billed international roaming as a result. The phrase "trust, but verify" comes to mind. If you can't find the wording on the internet site, call customer service for verification. I suspect the card you saw allows for calls from the US to international #'s but not for international roaming.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Historically TMO providers have been best used for this purpose, no international roaming involved, just WiFi Calling while overseas, even for years at a time.

Ultra Mobile was always the favorite at $3/mo for PAYGO, but they never officially supported it.

Now Tello has taken over, because eSIM can be easily provisioned even from overseas, and they do so knowingly.

Personally I would not use a service on another MNO, and NO WAY would I choose Tracfone nor its other family member services for such usage.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Yes, it would. But after getting it, make sure to test it before leaving the US, because Tracfone.

https://www.tracfone.com/plans/global-calling-card shows $0.0144/min to call Canadian #s, $10 would provide 694 minutes.

Another option is to get a free GV #, which will work over any data source, and provides free calls and texts to both US and Canadian phone #s. I use my GV # for 100% of everything in the US, but also internationally, using either WiFi or mobile data.

You'll still be able to receive calls and texts to your TF #, via WiFi Calling, whenever your phone is connected to WiFi, even if you don't purchase the Global Calling Card.

Feedback Score
    Tracfone plans include international calling already (except for perhaps the unlimited plan). There is a section about it on their website. I had to call CS to get them to activate it on my phone and there is a special number you have to dial prior to dialing the international number.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FoneTrac View Post
    Tracfone plans include international calling already (except for perhaps the unlimited plan). There is a section about it on their website. I had to call CS to get them to activate it on my phone and there is a special number you have to dial prior to dialing the international number.
    Looks like Tracfone have updated International Calling process for Global card. They say recently there have been alot of fraudulent activity involving international callings and have added another security level beside calling the special 800 number. They send a pin# to your phone which one have to validate via text.

http://extras.tracfone.com/en/ild#na...ar-global-card

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FoneTrac View Post
    cpq100, have you had a chance to contact TF to see if you can get this included Basic International calling working before you spend money on a Global Calling Card?
    https://extras.tracfone.com/en/ild#bi-destinations

Feedback Score
    i have used rebtel over the years for international calls with good results, they have a $ 2 unlimited calls for one month option for canada. they will also send your main number as caller ID. might be an option to consider

https://www.rebtel.com/en/

i also know many people who like Boss revolution and signing up will get you $ 2 credit free and calls to Canadian numbers are $0.016/Min

https://www.bossrevolution.com/en-us/country/canada

Feedback Score
    I finally got back to this. Using the Tracfone access number 305-938-5673 I was able to call Walmart Canada. All you have to do is dial 1 then the phone number after dialing the access number.

I then changed my wi-fi calling preference to wi-fi preferred and called again and the call went through. I am not sure if the call was connected via wi-fi or cellular though. Is there a way to tell?

I am glad all this worked, but I am still not sure what will happen in a few months when I am actually trying this while in Canada.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast