Thread: Connect Plans new website

Carrier(s)
    Access Wireless, Red Pocket AT&T, AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score

Connect Plans new website

The website for the T-Mobile prepaid Connect plans has been moved. Previously, if you went to the T-Mobile site, selected Prepaid at the top, then clicked on Plans, the Connect plans were one of the choices, now it is no longer offered as a choice. An internet search finds the Connect Plans at https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/connect...?brand=connect.

I found the prepaid Connect Data only plans at https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/prepaid-internet
    Last edited by SpynCycle; 02-08-2024 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Add more info
    I used to be wishy-washy, now I'm not so sure.

Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for sharing that—the Mobile Internet (data-only) plans are still linked on the main prepaid site and I'd guess that they won't go away. It seems they're also still offering the older Simple Choice North America prepaid data plans (the prior ones), as this language is still in the FAQ - pricing is slightly different for some (2GB is the same), but it included T-Mobile Tuesdays:

Does T-Mobile offer any other rate plans as a result of the merger with Sprint?
    For customers who are interested in older plans, we continue to make select older rate plans available for a limited time. These plans are known as heritage plans. Details on T-Mobile mobile internet heritage plans are available by request. Contact us for more information.
    Connect being siloed off to another site is interesting, as it seems they're putting effort into marketing/branding it, but it's also not linked anywhere on the prepaid site. Perhaps they're planning to quietly discontinue them or waiting for the Mint deal to go through to roll them together?

Feedback Score
    i believe they cannot discontinue them due to the merger conditions

so what they are doing instead is making them harder to find so more people choose the easier to find and more expensive options instead

tablet plans they see different as more of an 'incremental add' or an additional line customers may not otherwise have.

Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyrobby View Post
    i believe they cannot discontinue them due to the merger conditions

so what they are doing instead is making them harder to find so more people choose the easier to find and more expensive options instead
    Yeah, IIRC, it was that they couldn't raise prices or change plans for 3 years (obviously that's passed) and the Connect plans had a certain window (5 years?), which went along with the annual 500MB increases. As we get further away from the merger, make them harder to find until they can eventually stop offering them—there wasn't "this must be offered indefinitely" so they could eventually discontinue/grandfather these plans.

Hiding them kind of reminds me how one can still get the T-Mobile-branded $3 PayGo plan (not as good of a value compared to the outsourced Ultra version), but they don't advertise it and it's been "discontinued," Some phone reps can still covert a line it, or having a balance that can't pay for a plan (say $6) will suspend and eventually convert your line to that plan after 120 days to burn off the balance.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    When the Connect plans came out, they were a really good bargain. Today, not so much. $25 unlimited plans exist and $15 can get you UT&T + at least 5GB all over the place.

For a branded (non-MVNO) plan, itís still an okay price I suppose - but even using the carrier owned MVNOs will get you more for less. Iím not sure what will really be lost when Connect finally goes away - or if there would really be incentive for T-Mobile to get rid of it considering itís probably more profitable than a lot of other plans at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    When the Connect plans came out, they were a really good bargain. Today, not so much. $25 unlimited plans exist and $15 can get you UT&T + at least 5GB all over the place.

For a branded (non-MVNO) plan, itís still an okay price I suppose - but even using the carrier owned MVNOs will get you more for less. Iím not sure what will really be lost when Connect finally goes away - or if there would really be incentive for T-Mobile to get rid of it considering itís probably more profitable than a lot of other plans at this point.

True for the Connect Phone plans but the Connect Data plans seem really attractive compared to others (even mvno) that I've seen.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post

The big benefit of the Connect plans is that they have the same priority as premium postpaid plans. If you run into congestion you're much more likely to have working data with Connect as a result. I agree though, that for most people, Connect doesn't make sense since T-Mobile doesn't tend to suffer the crippling congestion the other two can unless you go to a major event.

Carrier(s)
    guess
    Feedback Score
    Is there data add on for the $10 phone plan in case you run short in a month? It looks like it in the website question and answers but where it states how to do it is blank, no info.

Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    True for the Connect Phone plans but the Connect Data plans seem really attractive compared to others (even mvno) that I've seen.
    Just for the sake of clarity (apologies for being picky), only the $10/$15/$25/$35 voice plans are branded as Connect. The data plans (still linked under the main prepaid site as "Prepaid Data Plans" have been typically referred to as either that, Mobile Internet, or Simple Choice North America Mobile Internet, the prior iteration that went away in 2020. You can still get it by calling customer service and asking for a "heritage plan."

My guess is that if/when Connect plans go away, T-Mobile Prepaid will consist of the Simply Prepaid products (something at the $40 price point that is capped, $50 unlimited, $60 unlimited with more features) and then the data-only/Mobile Internet plans.

Feedback Score
    Are there any advantages from any of these over my "Go5G Plus Up" truly unlimited w/50GB hotspot?

I'm a member of an anonymous group plan

whose owner started me off on a postpaid basis, and is now asking me to convert to prepaid over the next four months after they (supposedly) got burned by another member

Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulCrawhorne View Post
    Are there any advantages from any of these over my "Go5G Plus Up" truly unlimited w/50GB hotspot?

I'm a member of an anonymous group plan

whose owner started me off on a postpaid basis, and is now asking me to convert to prepaid over the next four months after they (supposedly) got burned by another member
    I'm guessing you're talking about the Simply Prepaid plans, rather than Connect or Mobile Internet? Probably not, although for a single line they can be a better value if they meet your needs. Unlike Metro and various MVNOs, T-Mobile Prepaid plans are the same QCI as postpaid, so that's a bit of an advantage if you're in an area that can be congested.

1) Connect is hard-capped, so it would be apples-to-oranges in comparison with your Go5G Plus Up plan. It's cheap and all the data can be used for hotspot, but that's about the only advantage.

2) Simply Prepaid is their "main" prepaid plans, a 10GB one for $40 and unlimited ones for $50 and $60. They haven't changed with the postpaid plans, so they're more like the old One or early Magenta plans. The $50 one has unlimited throttled hotspot, the $60 one has 10GB high-speed hotspot, then throttled. The on-device usage is deprioritized after 50GB. All have access to T-Mobile Tuesdays/T Life: https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/prepaid...and=TMOPrepaid

Taxes and fees are usually a lot less (usually just sales tax & E911), so the $50 unlimited prepaid one is arguably a better deal than a single line on Essentials Saver. One thing that's nice is that you can move between these and the Connect plans, so it's fairly easy to upgrade/downgrade. They can use the often-on-sale refill cards, so you can get service for less than the advertised price.

Finally, if you do make the move, T-Mobile runs their prepaid on a different billing system, so you'd go through the steps as though you're porting to a different carrier to migrate (postpaid would need phone #, account #, temporary port out PIN; prepaid would just need that information to port in). If you're starting prepaid service, I'd recommend setting up the new line with a new "temporary" number, making sure everything works, create a login, etc., and then use the self-service tool on the account management site to port your postpaid number in—if everything matches, it will almost instantaneously replace the "temporary" number.

Feedback Score
    So, no.

Thanks for all those extra details.

I put 600-800GB/mo through for a few cycles and nary a peep, plus low latency so good for @Home replacement,

over $15 cheaper, my cost is $40 all up...

Seems to be a great deal, might ask for another slot when one opens up.