Thread: Sanity Check - Straight Talk to Verizon Wireless - Family of 5

Feedback Score

Sanity Check - Straight Talk to Verizon Wireless - Family of 5

My family currently has 4 phones with Verizon on the pre paid plan. We currently pay $123.45 (yes, 12345). My wife and I are planning on getting my youngest daughter a phone. I bought the iPhone 11 from Walmart for $200 on Cyber Monday. My plan was to pay for the 60 days of service under Straight Talk, unlock the phone and then transfer her over to Verizon Wireless. I suspect that my total bill with Verizon will be about $150-160. I'll save about $200 doing this as opposed to buying a current iPhone. Does this plan make sense? Has anyone else done this before?

But as I am researching this, I see that Straight Talk is owned by Verizon and uses Verizon Towers. So I assume that the use of Straight Talk services will be the same in quality as Verizon in my area (zip code 34202 - South West Florida). But if I use Straight Talk with 5 Bronze Packages at $35, I will pay a total of about $200 (assuming roughly $5 in taxes). Is there a way to get a cheaper package for my family?

Feedback Score
    Call quality should be the same on Vzw prepaid vs a Vzw mvno like ST, but I don't know if a Vzw mnvo has a different priority then Vzw prepaid.

Depend on how much data you use between all the phones you could check out US Mobiles Shared/Pooled data plan.
    $9 a line (unlimited talk/text) plus $2 a GB of shared data. Of course your other Vzw prepaid phones would need to be unlocked too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Vzw mvno
    MVNO. Mobile virtual network operator. I had to look that up. Looks like it is another provider that uses someone else's towers.

Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Of course your other Vzw prepaid phones would need to be unlocked too.
    They are all unlocked and we don't use much data. I will take a look into that option. Thank you for sharing!

Device(s)
    LG Aristo 2 Plus (T-Mo); Moto G Power 2020 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Is this $200 iPhone 11 purchased at Walmart a Straight Talk branded phone, or who is providing it? I didn't catch that in the conversation so far. It will matter. I do see where you say you'll do 60 days with ST, but then we'd have to assume it was an ST phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJoeFletch View Post
    MVNO. Mobile virtual network operator. I had to look that up. Looks like it is another provider that uses someone else's towers.
    Yes, that's what Straight Talk basically is, a Verizon mvno. It's part of Tracfone which is just a subsidiary of Verizon. Just like any other carrier that uses Verizon towers. Similar to carriers that use ATT or T-Mobile towers.
    Carriers other then the big 3 directly don't own their own towers (except some small regionals).

If you want to change from Verizon Prepaid and stay on Verizon towers you'll basically be getting an MVNO that uses their towers.

One can argue that since Verizon owns some other carriers they're not mvno's. But basically, operation wise, they are.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    Is this $200 iPhone 11 purchased at Walmart a Straight Talk branded phone, or who is providing it? I didn't catch that in the conversation so far. It will matter. I do see where you say you'll do 60 days with ST, but then we'd have to assume it was an ST phone.
    Yes, it is the $200 iPhone 11 on Straight Talk - Straight Talk Apple iPhone 11, 64GB, Black- Prepaid Smartphone [Locked to Straight Talk] (I can't post links just yet because my post count is low). I checked the IEMI on Verizon Wireless and the phone will work there. I just have to have 60 days of service to get it unlocked. Any other concerns outside of this?