Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Feedompop "Free Msg: Unable to send message - Message Blocking is acive"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RFK View Post
    SMS does not depend on internet or APN (MMS depends on them).

But Freedompop indeed may block SMS on some non-VoLTE phones.
    That is what most likely is happening then. It shows 4G when its on but when I try to make a call, it take like 15 seconds for the call to go through and when it does, the 4G disappears but that call goes through. It probably drops to 2G then. Also it not being Volte stops the SMS as well. The SMS comes in but I cant send out.

Feedback Score
    I inserted Freedompop TMO SIM into Nokia Asha 311 (3G phone , no 4g LTE) and SMS works in both directions over T-Mobile 2G network.

Feedback Score
    Just an update for anyone who reads this thread later:

I was able to buy a cheap TCL My Flip 2, take out my SIM card and insert it. I restarted the phone and everything works fine now. I didn't even have to talk to customer care. The phone set itself up on its own and I was able to send/received texts, pics. The Wifi calling works too. I really didn't need a smart phone for this free plan. I just wanted an emergency phone.

Carrier(s)
    310-260
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by phonerboner View Post
    My SIM starts with 8901 (Tmobile right?).
    8901 is what a lot of ICCIDs start with (most AT&T and T-Mobile SIMs and MVNOs). The next digits are what's more important: 260 (T-Mobile), 240 (seems to be a newer one for T-Mobile MVNOs with 'wholesale' APN), 410 (AT&T and most MVNOs like H2O), 150 (Cricket).

Carrier(s)
    Tello & Hello
    Feedback Score
    My Red Pocket SIM was a 260, so I guess I got lucky there. It worked fine with FreedomPop in my unlocked TCL Flip 2 -- but I wanted to keep the Verizon SIM (in case T-Mobile went down) and found you can't move Verizon SIMs (from Tracfone, at least) to another phone? (Didn't know that.) So now the Red Pocket SIM is in an old (original) iPhone SE that my nephew passed on to me because it was small. Works fine in that also.
    Pixel 3a on Tello — Alcatel Go Flip 3 on Tello — AGM M7 on Hello Mobile — iPhone SE on FreedomPop — TCL Flip 2 on Tracfone

Device(s)
    Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    StraightTalk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    The APN is not correct. Have you tried manually adding a different one?
    Quote Originally Posted by RFK View Post
    SMS does not depend on internet or APN (MMS depends on them).
    Err...kinda/sorta, but also kinda/sorta wrong. For both answers.

There are two ways to send and receive SMS messages over an actual LTE connection, and one additional way for an LTE phone to send/receive SMS (legend: CS == circuit-switched, PS == packet-switched):

1. SMS over IMS (100% IP-based / SIP / PS)
    2. SMS via SGs (old CS 2G/3G network core ties to PS LTE network core, message sent over LTE control channel)
    3. CS fallback (phone itself falls back to 2G/3G)

Method #3 we are probably all familiar with: when the phone either sends or receives either a voice call or a text, it briefly drops down to 2G or 3G service to do so. This indeed does not require or use any kind of data-related services.

Method #2 is interesting in that it's kind of a hybrid between #3 and #1: the phone stays connected to the LTE network, but within the carrier's network, their old circuit-switched (2G/3G) core is connected to the new packet-switched-only LTE core, and can pass SMS messages between the CS core and the PS core. The actual messages are sent from/to the phone over a layer-2 control channel, not via IP protocol. Many phones that don't support VoLTE at all still support sending & receiving SMS over LTE using this method, so they don't have to drop all the way down to 2G or 3G for texts even if they still do for actual voice calls.

Method #1 is highly likely to be supported by your phone if your phone supports VoLTE. In this case, the SMS message is sent to the phone via the exact same infrastructure (IMS) that delivers voice calls over LTE (VoIP/SIP).

However, even if the phone hardware & software support SMS over IMS, the feature still needs to be enabled somewhere in the phone itself...as I have written about in a few other threads here, I am using a phone on an AT&T MVNO that is absolutely *not* on the AT&T whitelist, with completely working VoLTE and WiFi Calling, by getting down into the low-level guts of the phone firmware and flipping the right switches on. For months and months, I had no problems with anything, but then at some point this past autumn, my phone suddenly became unable to *send* SMS even though it had no problems receiving them.

Sounds familiar?

Turned out that the default setting (at least in my phone's baseband firemware) was for SMS over IMS to be disabled, even if VoLTE was enabled and working. At some point, apparently AT&T either started outright blocking reception of SMS via SGs, or as they continued to dismantle their old CS core in the wake of retiring their 3G transmitters, it simply just stopped working as a side-effect of that.

One day, I realized that I could send texts over WiFi even though I couldn't over LTE, which gave me a clue about what was going on: the LTE "control channel" that method #2 depends on in order to deliver SMS doesn't exist when you connect to the carrier's ePDG rather than to their native LTE network. Thus SMS over WiFi Calling is *only* possible using IMS (method #1). So the phone was employing SMS over IMS even though it was disabled, but only for WiFi (the default "disable" setting apparently doesn't affect the WiFi Calling feature).

Unlike for methods #2 and #3, where APNs are not involved at all, VoLTE both for voice and for SMS does in fact rely on an APN and for "data services" to be working between your phone and your carrier. That's because in an LTE-only world with no 2G/3G fallback (which is now where we are at with most carriers in the U.S.), *EVERYTHING* is packetized, even voice (VoIP)...everything is now *data*. The carrier just doesn't count voice-related data traffic against your internet data bucket. It's possible for the carrier to separate the two and track them independently because the voice (and SMS) traffic is exchanged between your phone and the network over a completely separate APN than the main data one. This APN is usually called "ims", and is hidden from showing up in the list of APNs in your phone settings...it can't be changed because it isn't supposed to be changeable, since 99% of carriers use an APN named "ims" for their VoLTE traffic.

This is why the claim that "SMS does not depend on internet or APN" is kinda correct, but kinda not. It doesn't depend on the internet APN, true. But it does depend on a data bearer connection existing between the phone and the network over an APN called "ims", which is one that is hidden from the list of APNs in your phone (on most phones, if you even try to manually add an APN to it named "ims", it might not give you an error, but it still won't show up in your APN list after you hit "Save"!)

But it's also why the claim that "the APN is not correct" is perhaps kinda correct but also kinda not: editing the main internet/data APN on your phone will not fix SMS-over-LTE problems. However, it is also possible that the problem preventing SMS from working is in fact a "wrong APN" problem...specifically, the phone is not even trying to connect to the "ims" APN to send or receive texts, either because it doesn't support VoLTE, or it is under the impression that your carrier doesn't support VoLTE (so it won't even try, even if the phone hardware & firmware are fully capable). This is not something that is "fixable" by toying with APN settings on your phone...you'd need to go lower level than that in order to correct or work around the problem.

Since T-Mobile is still running 2G in some places, they clearly still have a CS core in operation on their network. So there is seemingly no reason why method #2 thus would not still be working with T-Mobile, even if it no longer does on AT&T. But there have been reports by some that certain SIMs activated on the Freedompop Walmart plan cannot connect to T-Mobile 2G at all, and seem to be restricted to be LTE-only (so far, most reports seem to be coming from people with the actual Freedompop SIM, while many who got Red Pocket SIMs and then activated them on Freedompop while that option was still working have reported the opposite experience). I suppose it is also possible that in addition to blocking 2G access to these SIMs, T-Mobile also has prevented SMS method #2 from working with accounts provisioned on those SIMs as well. So perhaps if you have an actual FP SIM, you might encounter SMS problems like this if you are not using the SIM in a supported phone that is fully capable of doing VoLTE on T-Mobile.

I just recently took delivery of a FP Walmart SIM myself and am hoping to play with it in the coming weeks, so I will probably know more soon myself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2