Thread: Data speeds while roaming on Senior Plan while in Vancouver, B.C.?

Feedback Score

Data speeds while roaming on Senior Plan while in Vancouver, B.C.?

One of my issues with our current VZW plan is that we have a 5 GB/day data cap, which we easily exceed. Once we exceed that cap, our speeds slow down to basically dial-up.

TM advertises free roaming while in Canada and Mexico. However in the fine print it states regarding to data: "in Canada/Mexico, unlimited at up to 128kbps".

Is that the normal speed I would get while roaming in Vancouver, B.C.? We are up there for 2 months at least every summer and I need a functioning phone with usable data speeds.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    When traveling internationally, the US carriers cannot guarantee data speeds under any circumstance as they are relying on roaming providers to provide access. The US carriers aren't the ones providing coverage when roaming. Don't forget the fine print that says up to 128 kbs which means it could be less. The foreign networks give priority to their domestic customers.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLex View Post
    One of my issues with our current VZW plan is that we have a 5 GB/day data cap, which we easily exceed. Once we exceed that cap, our speeds slow down to basically dial-up.

TM advertises free roaming while in Canada and Mexico. However in the fine print it states regarding to data: "in Canada/Mexico, unlimited at up to 128kbps".

Is that the normal speed I would get while roaming in Vancouver, B.C.? We are up there for 2 months at least every summer and I need a functioning phone with usable data speeds.
    In Canada with T-Mobile's Magenta plan, you get up to 5GB of 4G LTE data per month:

https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/us...-mexico-canada

So if you need more than that, it's probably better to get a local provider for the summer months you are there.

As far as your domestic data, T-Mobile's Magenta plan has 100GB of premium data and Magenta Max has Unlimited premium data so one of those should resolve the 5GB daily Verizon cap that you're experiencing now.

https://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    When traveling internationally, the US carriers cannot guarantee data speeds under any circumstance as they are relying on roaming providers to provide access. The US carriers aren't the ones providing coverage when roaming. Don't forget the fine print that says up to 128 kbs which means it could be less. The foreign networks give priority to their domestic customers.
    I understand that. But when I had AT&T, I had basically unlimited 4G when roaming in Canada.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    In Canada with T-Mobile's Magenta plan, you get up to 5GB of 4G LTE data per month:

So if you need more than that, it's probably better to get a local provider for the summer months you are there.

As far as your domestic data, T-Mobile's Magenta plan has 100GB of premium data and Magenta Max has Unlimited premium data so one of those should resolve the 5GB daily Verizon cap that you're experiencing now.
    My 5 GB/day data cap with VZW only applies when I’m roaming in Canada. I have unlimited data in the USA.

If TM’s monthly LTE data cap is 5GB, that’s what I’d received in just one day with VZW.
    With AT&T, I had unlimited roaming at LTE speeds in Canada.

Feedback Score
    Have you considered trying Google Fi?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bankerdentist View Post
    Have you considered trying Google Fi?
    Thanks for the suggestion. It looks like Google Fi offers an "unlimited" plan for $65/mo but only for up to 50 GB/month of data, after which speeds slow down to 285 kbps. I currently have a data cap of 5 GB/day with VZW, which works out to 150 GB/month.

Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Personally, unless I'm really doing a lot of hard use, 5GB for +1 week in Canada isn't bad. You might even look to a prepaid while up there, but Canadian wireless isn't cheap

Sent from my SM-G991U using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.