Thread: Verizon to buy West Central Wireless in Texas

Device(s)
    iPhone 13 Mini
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Verizon to buy West Central Wireless in Texas

“The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    Fine, anything to help Verizon provide service in an area where they never spent any money to build a system of their own. They instantly get a system and coverage, plus some valuable spectrum to sell to T-Mobile to raise more money.

Feedback Score
    Hmmm… I wonder why the Buffalo’s in Texas were outside their home calling area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mwdewey View Post
    Fine, anything to help Verizon provide service in an area where they never spent any money to build a system of their own. They instantly get a system and coverage, plus some valuable spectrum to sell to T-Mobile to raise more money.
    Verizon does have service in this area. It's that it was just gimped due to a lack of spectrum. Especially 850 MHz. That and the additional band 4 and band 2 will help. And I'm sure t-mobile would be willing to do some spectrum swaps so Verizon can have even more spectrum in this area

Feedback Score
    I'm curoius how Tmobiles coverage is currently once you get in rural areas outside of San Angelo in that part of Y xas where Verizon bought central wireless

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Verizon does have service in this area. It's that it was just gimped due to a lack of spectrum. Especially 850 MHz. That and the additional band 4 and band 2 will help. And I'm sure t-mobile would be willing to do some spectrum swaps so Verizon can have even more spectrum in this area
    Yes, Verizon does have some coverage in the areas referenced in the article, but according to Verizon's coverage maps, there are indeed gaps, shown in white, which this purchase is designed to fix. Interstate 10 passes through some of those white areas of No Service, so drivers there will benefit as well. It's not all about spectrum, but the additional spectrum available to use or sell to provide revenue to fund further service expansion is a nice perk.

Name:  Screenshot 2022-12-05 at 3.01.40 AM.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  46.7 KB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mwdewey View Post
    Yes, Verizon does have some coverage in the areas referenced in the article, but according to Verizon's coverage maps, there are indeed gaps, shown in white, which this purchase is designed to fix. Interstate 10 passes through some of those white areas of No Service, so drivers there will benefit as well. It's not all about spectrum, but the additional spectrum available to use or sell to provide revenue to fund further service expansion is a nice perk.

Name:  Screenshot 2022-12-05 at 3.01.40 AM.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  46.7 KB
    As I said they lack spectrum so no they are not going to be as widespread. Now that they have the spectrum they will. Verizon uses 850MHz for lowband 5G. Well if you don't have any 850 MHz guess how much lowband 5G you're going to have? That number would be ZERO