Thread: T-Mobile email: Holiday Exclusive - FREE Line

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work phone / T-Mobile (Personal Phone / iPad) / Tracfone VZW MVNO (for fun)!
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile email: Holiday Exclusive - FREE Line

Sharing with the Community, though as always, T-Mobile's promotions like this are always flakey... so proceed with caution until more info known...

I received an email on 11/23 with the subject "Holiday exclusive - FREE line!", and I'm assuming many of you on postpaid accounts also received it (a bunch of others on Reddit confirmed receiving it too):

In the email were some other holiday promos and this:

Name:  Free Line.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  20.3 KB
    The fine print says: Free Line:
    Limited-time offer; subject to change. Qualifying credit and regular rate Essentials, Magenta, MAX, or Business Unlimited Select/Advanced/Ultimate plan required. Plus taxes & fees for Essentials & select Business Unlimited plans; monthly Regulatory Programs (RPF) & Telco Recovery Fee (TRF) totaling $3.18 per voice line ($0.60 for RPF & $2.58 for TRF) applies; taxes/fees approx. 4-38% of bill. For existing single-line or new customers. If you canceled lines in past 90 days, you may need to reactivate them first. Credits may take up to 2 bill cycles; credits will stop if you cancel any lines.

For the past couple of years, T-Mobile has had on and off BOGO promos on free lines -- (e.g., add 2 lines and the second is free). PRIOR to 2022, they also gave out a number of outright free lines, you just needed to activate a new line during a specific time period. For example, IIRC they did a total of four outright free line offers in 2021, including two in late in the year (Black Friday weekend and the last 10 or so days of the year). There was never a promo code, but often the reps knew about it.

With that history, they have not done an outright free line yet in 2022, and it's possible this is a targeted promotion.

Since the store didn't know about it (it's a crappy third-party T-Mobile store), I chatted with T-Force and asked them to confirm this is a free line and NOT A BOGO -- they did (and T-Force chats are preserved in your Twitter accounts). I added a line yesterday at the store, and I'm keeping my T-Force chat as a record in case this turns into another time T-Mobile's marketing people were running faster than their billing system...

In case anyone is wondering why they would just offer free service, subscriber growth (number of lines) is a key metric for the carriers (the other being average revenue per user, or ARPU). So this is a way for T-Mobile to grow their subscriber numbers that they report to Wall St. and use for marketing (e.g., "the fastest growing wireless company"). They have to be diligent about balancing this and the ARPU metric, as I THINK the divisor is the number of lines and not the number of accounts (i.e., ARPU declines with free lines).

I'll post back if the promo shows on my account, but likely the "limited-time offer" will have expired by then.

Also worth noting -- historically the outright free lines weren't combinable with free device promos (like the rumored Cyber Monday free iPhone 12 when activating a new line), but was combinable with some less generous device promos (like 50% off). Again, I haven't seen any formal documentation of this offer, but I know someone is going to ask if they can get a free S22 along with the free line ('cause I thought about that too... and then remembered they didn't allow double-dips like that)...

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Not for 55+

Thanks but free line does not apply to Magenta Max 55+.

Feedback Score
    I see the fine print about taxes and fees. I am assuming those are included if your plan already includes taxes and fees?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I chatted with tforce about this offer as well and they told me it's a retail promotion and I should go to a store.

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I chatted with force and they told me it was a BOGO

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work phone / T-Mobile (Personal Phone / iPad) / Tracfone VZW MVNO (for fun)!
    Feedback Score
    Their advertising aggressiveness has hit a new level with this one.