Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Phone AT&T Locked?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    562
    Feedback Score
    0

    Phone AT&T Locked?

    Are AT&T Prepaid phones locked to AT&T Prepaid or can they be used with other AT&T MVNOs?

    I know that locked AT&T phones used to work without much issue with other AT&T MVNO providers. The exception being hotspot/tethering - although for the particular case I'm concerned about right now that doesn't apply. But that was several years ago, I assume it's still the case, but something might have changed.

    I have a family memeber using an Alcatel fliphone on AT&T Prepaid. I'm considering moving them to another AT&T MVNO. Would there be any issues with swapping out the sim cards on the phone with an AT&T MVNO?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    DC-MD-VA
    Posts
    1,229
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Mint, Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by charlesfinley View Post
    Are AT&T Prepaid phones locked to AT&T Prepaid or can they be used with other AT&T MVNOs?

    I know that locked AT&T phones used to work without much issue with other AT&T MVNO providers. The exception being hotspot/tethering - although for the particular case I'm concerned about right now that doesn't apply. But that was several years ago, I assume it's still the case, but something might have changed.

    I have a family memeber using an Alcatel fliphone on AT&T Prepaid. I'm considering moving them to another AT&T MVNO. Would there be any issues with swapping out the sim cards on the phone with an AT&T MVNO?
    Should still work. Until a couple months ago I was still using a locked GoPhone on Red Pocket. I switched to an unlocked phone for a different reason.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    California between Fresno and Yosemite.
    Posts
    2,916
    Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    0
    I was using a locked LG Neon Plus 2 on H20 Wireless just last month. It's on AT&T Whitelist.

    I'm currently using a locked AT&T Alcatel Smartflip 4052R on that same SIM.

    I swapped the SIM from the flip to the LG Neon Plus 2, used it on H20 for months, then swapped it back to the same flip. In fact I think I activated the H20 SIM in an unlocked LG Phoenix 2 before using it in the smartflip and Neon.

    H20 has some good plans for low budget use. I'm on the $10/90 day plan with 5˘/min calls and 5˘/text but the data is 10˘/mb.

    There's a $60/year UT&T plan, and with 1gb/mo data it's $100/year.

    Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using HoFo mobile app

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    California between Fresno and Yosemite.
    Posts
    2,916
    Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    0
    I used my AT&T locked LG Neon Plus 2 on H20 Wireless with an already activated SIM for just over a year (never on AT&T proper), and just today was granted an unlock request.

    I'm not sure if it's because AT&T sees the phone as too old to care about anymore, or if it's because of the year it spent on H20, but for people with AT&T locked phones on MVNOs like H20 it's something to consider.

    Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using HoFo mobile app

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,511
    Feedback Score
    0
    i believe ATT Prepaid phones are still fine on MVNO's

    What has changed recently is how ATT handles postpaid/financed phones. Recently financed devices will need to be paid/off unlocked before they can be used on the ATT network on an account other than the one purchased for, they can be moved between lines on those accounts though. Its not a device locking issue as much as a 'blacklisted form the network except on the account purchased on until paid off' this is most likely to be an issue concerning 2nd hand newer devices. I would suggest running an potential second hand ATT device through the official ATT unlock request page and if it comes back 'not eligible to be unlocked' avoid even its unlocked already(possible via 3rd party methods)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    California between Fresno and Yosemite.
    Posts
    2,916
    Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyrobby View Post
    i believe ATT Prepaid phones are still fine on MVNO's

    What has changed recently is how ATT handles postpaid/financed phones. Recently financed devices will need to be paid/off unlocked before they can be used on the ATT network on an account other than the one purchased for, they can be moved between lines on those accounts though. Its not a device locking issue as much as a 'blacklisted form the network except on the account purchased on until paid off' this is most likely to be an issue concerning 2nd hand newer devices. I would suggest running an potential second hand ATT device through the official ATT unlock request page and if it comes back 'not eligible to be unlocked' avoid even its unlocked already(possible via 3rd party methods)
    Right. Unlocked doesn't necessarily mean it works on all providers. Need to check the specs to know what the prospective phone can do.

    I put my just unlocked LG Neon Plus 2 IMEI in T-Mobile's compatibility checker and it said it wasn't compatible.

    There are a few operating bands in common between AT&T and T-Mo but the LG lacks some that T-Mo wants devices to have.

    It doesn't mean it couldn't make calls or text with a T-mo SIM installed, just that they don't want a partially functional device on the service.

    It's a disappointment that the LG didn't pass but not surprised. It can still do AT&T MVNOs that will accept locked or unlocked AT&T phones. AT&T signal is strongest here, often 5 bars out of 5.



    Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using HoFo mobile app

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,511
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    Right. Unlocked doesn't necessarily mean it works on all providers. Need to check the specs to know what the prospective phone can do.

    I put my just unlocked LG Neon Plus 2 IMEI in T-Mobile's compatibility checker and it said it wasn't compatible.

    There are a few operating bands in common between AT&T and T-Mo but the LG lacks some that T-Mo wants devices to have.

    It doesn't mean it couldn't make calls or text with a T-mo SIM installed, just that they don't want a partially functional device on the service.

    It's a disappointment that the LG didn't pass but not surprised. It can still do AT&T MVNOs that will accept locked or unlocked AT&T phones. AT&T signal is strongest here, often 5 bars out of 5.



    Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using HoFo mobile app
    the compatibility tester are not comprehensive. only really applies to phones in T-Mobile data base that they have complete specs on. many phones may work really well on T-Mobile but are just not in the database being queried.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    California between Fresno and Yosemite.
    Posts
    2,916
    Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyrobby View Post
    the compatibility tester are not comprehensive. only really applies to phones in T-Mobile data base that they have complete specs on. many phones may work really well on T-Mobile but are just not in the database being queried.
    It might work okay on a T-mo MVNO like Red Pocket if the T-mo tower is nearby (Have seen one listed nearby on a cell tower map). But I have better phones for T-mo, like the factory unlocked Moto E.

    Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using HoFo mobile app

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2022
    Posts
    861
    Feedback Score
    0
    If you know anyone on gFi Flex they can add you to their group for 50˘ per day plus $10/GB for testing purposes

Similar Threads

  1. New Samsung Express Prime phone for AT&T prepaid.
    By Vicpdx17 in forum AT&T Prepaid (formerly GoPhone)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-23-2018, 01:47 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-15-2014, 09:22 AM
  3. AT&T (AIO) locked phone with NET 10 SIM
    By smtelegadis in forum Tracfone/Net10
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-29-2013, 09:14 AM
  4. does AT&T still lock its new phones (non-smartphone/pda)?)
    By cmm3 in forum AT&T Regular Phones
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-04-2007, 11:08 AM
  5. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-19-2005, 06:54 PM

Bookmarks