Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: TracFone Branded Phones vs Others

Device(s)
    Samsung A53 5G. Samsung A03s
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score

TracFone Branded Phones vs Others

Probably a silly question but are they any difference between say Samsung TracFone and Samsung phones of the same model purchased elsewhere?

Example: Tracfone Samsung A53 vs a Samsung A53 phone?
    If my memory serves me TracFone used to have a some features removed from their phones compared to the same model phone purchased elsewhere.

Is this practice still true of TracFone brands?
    Samsung A53 5G (Verizon)

Feedback Score
    You need to look at the model number, not the model name.

Feedback Score
    tracfone boot up screen with android

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtley View Post

Mdel# S536DL for TF A53 has software of TracFone version. Hardware should be same. Don't know if you can change model# by flashing a different version software.

Feedback Score
    Probably a silly question but are they any difference between say Samsung TracFone and Samsung phones of the same model purchased elsewhere?

If my memory serves me TracFone used to have a some features removed from their phones compared to the same model phone purchased elsewhere.

Not a silly question.

To know for sure you need to find the specs for the exact model number. Tracfone branded phones always have a different model number, generally ending in DL.

Years ago there used to be significant differences, like RAM and storage amount, and LTE bands. I have not noticed any differences in phones bought in the past few years. I bought a TF Samsung A51 recently. It has all the Samsung crap apps on it. Android phones will still start with the Tracfone splash screen even after unlocked.

One thing that can be a problem is that the Tracfone phone IMEIs may not be whitelisted for activation at some carriers and service providers.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile1212 View Post
    Mdel# S536DL for TF A53 has software of TracFone version. Hardware should be same. Don't know if you can change model# by flashing a different version software.
    I know the Tracfone Samsung Galaxy A51 has the same FCC ID as Samsung Galaxy A51. That means they are the same internally.

I tried to flash the A515U1 firmware onto my S515DL, but it complained about a PIT file. Not sure if that can fixed or not tho.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Not a silly question.

Years ago there used to be significant differences, like RAM and storage amount, and LTE bands. I have not noticed any differences in phones bought in the past few years. I bought a TF Samsung A51 recently. It has all the Samsung crap apps on it. Android phones will still start with the Tracfone splash screen even after unlocked.

One thing that can be a problem is that the Tracfone phone IMEIs may not be whitelisted for activation at some carriers and service providers.
    This is the info I'm looking for. Carrier will be Verizon.

Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    I know the Tracfone Samsung Galaxy A51 has the same FCC ID as Samsung Galaxy A51. That means they are the same internally.

I tried to flash the A515U1 firmware onto my S515DL, but it complained about a PIT file. Not sure if that can fixed or not tho.
    TracFone is using phones from Samsung and putting their branding and apps on it without disabling anything on the phone because it will be sold at a reduced price of the same Samsung model. We can use Samsung A13, A33 or A53 as examples.

In the past several years I have been buying unlocked LG phones and using them on TracFone first then later on Verizon prepaid. This is my first foray into Samsung phones. I got the least expensive I could get to see if I like it first.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Some do not care for Samsung`s maverick approach with functionality, finding it awkward to adapt.

Feedback Score
    I once had a Samsung where you could not delete the personalized message that you had put on the lockscreen.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Some do not care for Samsung`s maverick approach with functionality, finding it awkward to adapt.
    I only had LG phones way back with the LG L34c if memory serves me. I'm trying out the Samsung and so far it's ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    I once had a Samsung where you could not delete the personalized message that you had put on the lockscreen.
    I have a TracFone ZTE Max Duo that I put a picture of the owner in the address book that I could not delete. It's just a generic picture and still there! Lol!

Device(s)
    Moto G Stylus 5G, Samsung A53 5G
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (Verizon & AT&T)
    Feedback Score

Not sure of other models but I covered the Tracfone Samsung A53 here:
    https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...cussion-thread
    "You no call here again!"
    (Then she hung up on me)

-Tracfone Customer Service rep

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by YaWho View Post
    Not sure of other models but I covered the Tracfone Samsung A53 here:
    https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...cussion-thread
    I read your post on the A53. Thanks for the link.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    I am one of them. It is mostly about how to find things in settings. Samsung makes that completely different from everyone else. The best deal I could find on a tablet was a Samsung. I put up with it for that, but it's annoying.

The vast majority of cellphone users are not phone enthusiasts/geeks and probably never use settings. It doesn't matter to them. They touch an icon and the app runs.

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    I am one of them. It is mostly about how to find things in settings. Samsung makes that completely different from everyone else.
    I started using a Samsung A51 about a year ago. At first I had the same feeling about Samsung phones like you do, couldn't find things in Settings. But after a while I got used to it, and used the Search function in Settings to find what I need. I don't like Moto phones because their call volume seem too low for me, my LG phones (Q6, Q7+) don't have VoLTE and LG got out of the phone market, so now my phones are Samsungs and Pixels.
    Last edited by hpham; 10-06-2022 at 04:07 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I started using a Samsung A51 about a year ago. At first I had the same feeling about Samsung phones like you do, couldn't find things in Settings. But after a while I got used to it, and used the Search function in Settings to find what I need. I don't like Moto phones because their call volume seem too low for me, my LG phones (Q6, Q7+) don't have VoLTE and LG got out of the phone market, so now my phones are Samsungs and Pixels.
    Yeah, the LG brand was my favorite for years. My last LG phones were LG-V20, LG-V30 AND LG-V40. Now trying the Samsung brand.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast