Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Verizon Begins Shrinking TracFone, Inc.

Feedback Score
    Here is a fun fact - The Net 10 site has been pretty much down all morning , up and down that is. I wonder if they are changing their site to reflect the news.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
    I didn't realize Straight Talk was that much bigger than Tracfone. Was Straight Talk always an America Movil brand, or were they bought?
    Straight Talk was a joint venture between Tracfone and Walmart from the beginning in 2009. I found the original press release that talks about the two revolutionary plans:

$30: 1,000 minutes, 1,000 texts and 30MB of mobile web access
    $45: Unlimited minutes, text and mobile web access

https://corporate.walmart.com/newsro...ely-nationwide

The rest is history.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    Straight Talk was a joint venture between Tracfone and Walmart from the beginning in 2009. I found the original press release that talks about the two revolutionary plans:

$30: 1,000 minutes, 1,000 texts and 30MB of mobile web access
    $45: Unlimited minutes, text and mobile web access

https://corporate.walmart.com/newsro...ely-nationwide

The rest is history.
    Straight Talk was awesome in my opinion at one time. I actually bought a Samsung Phone for a very good price and it had the $45 dollar plan bundled with it , was a flip phone of course and also a CDMA phone as well. Every time you ended a call on the $30 plan at the end of the call a robot announced "And you have X Minutes, X Texts and X megabytes remaining"

Feedback Score
    NWIDA announcements have been bogus in the past, and I would not trust this one. Lacks any credible verification sources. If there is anything to this, it will come out in other media.

Sneed Mobile Tech on YouTube reported on this, and did not have any credible sources either. There needs to be something linked to Verizon.
    Last edited by loboheeler; 10-04-2022 at 08:13 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowyD View Post
    Verizon started transitioning Simple Mobile away from T-Mobile in the Spring. References to T-Mobile disappeared in Simple Mobile promotional materials in May. By August, the latest green boxes, which Simple Mobile uses for its phones, had “by T-Mobile” removed, and references to LTE-T disappeared. So, the phones in these boxes probably contain Verizon SIM cards.
    Carriers generally don't allow the MVNOs to clearly state which one is being used. There were codings like the color of the US map, LTE-x, and in the product number on the retail box. If in doubt, the SIM product number could be checked.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    NWIDA announcements have been bogus in the past, and I would not trust this one. Lacks any credible verification sources. If there is anything to this, it will come out in other media.

Sneed Mobile Tech on YouTube reported on this, and did not have any credible sources either. There needs to be something linked to Verizon.
    i can confirm i have seen very legitimate materials that were emailed out to dealers, the report from NWIDA is credible

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowyWhite View Post
    They sure were bullying me to switch my Safelink which was on T-Mobile over to a Verizon SIM.
    I wasn't bullied so much as "in-your-face" popups when visiting safelink.com. I eventually went on a link that I was able to automatically order a free Verizon SIM card. I've been using the SIM card for about 2 months now and I'm pleasantly surprised at having better, faster coverage since the switch.

Your mileage may vary.

Carrier(s)
    BellSouth Mobility, AirTouch, Cingular, Verizon, StraightTalk, PagePlus, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    I really have to chuckle at the naiveté of the folks using the term "bullying" to describe how Verizon-- new owners, after all-- is looking to maximize its investment in Tracfone in part by not paying money any longer to VZW competitors.

If you owned a company, isn't this what you'd want to do-- try to persuade your inherited customers to move their service to the most profitable networ?

"Bullying" is the big kids in the schoolyard taking lunch money from the little kids; or maybe Tony Soprano sending a couple of of his boys over to your house and messing up your car or threatening your family ;-)
    Last edited by ChasHam; 10-05-2022 at 04:34 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE 2020
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus PAYG & T-Mobile Legacy PAYGO
    Feedback Score
    Page Plus (Pay Go) has been my primary service since 2007.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasHam View Post
    I really have to chuckle at the naiveté of the folks' using the word "bullying" to describe how the Verizon-- new owners, after all-- is looking to maximize its investment in Tracfone by not paying money any longer to VZW competitors.

If you owned a company, isn't this what you'd want to do-- try to persuade your customers to move their service to the most profitable network.

"Bullying" is Tony Soprano sending a couple of of his boys over to your house and messing up your car or threatening your family ;-)
    Bullying = Chopping off random peoples' phone service because they did not assimilate quickly enough in Verizon's opinion.

This is why I never carry an AT&T Tracfone when leaving the house. I don't even trust a VZW Tracfone. This is not being naive.

Verizon will bully whatever they can get away with. Even if that leaves people stranded. Too bad, so sad.

Not to mention the other screw-ups they manage to accomplish.

Never had an ounce of trouble with Tello.

Keeping the Tracfone lines as handy desk phones until they expire.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Tracfone and other MVNOs have done well buying and selling Verizon, T-Mobile, and AT&T services.
    What if these three drove all the MVNOs out of business so as to maximize their investments with whatever max pricing they could get away with?

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Tracfone and other MVNOs have done well buying and selling Verizon, T-Mobile, and AT&T services.
    What if these three drove all the MVNOs out of business so as to maximize their investments with whatever max pricing they could get away with?
    In my opinion, what the Big-3 carriers sell to the MVNOs is just "excess capacity" that's not being used by their direct customers. Let's say Verizon built their network to handle 100,000 GB concurrent data usage but their direct customers often use only 60,000 GB concurrently. Why not sell some of that excess capacity to the MVNOs to recoup some money. If usage by their direct customers reaches certain point, then they just throttle the MVNO customers.

It's similar to manufacturers of motor oil, medicines, bandages, small batteries, etc using their excess manufacturing capacities to make generic/store-brands for Walmart, Amazon, Target, etc. They can sell only so much at "brand-name" prices, why not sell the rest to the "store-brand" sellers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyrobby View Post
    i can confirm i have seen very legitimate materials that were emailed out to dealers, the report from NWIDA is credible
    Who is sending out these notices to the dealers? Ultimately, there has to be a Verizon source for policy changes.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    In my opinion, what the Big-3 carriers sell to the MVNOs is just "excess capacity" that's not being used by their direct customers. Let's say Verizon built their network to handle 100,000 GB concurrent data usage but their direct customers often use only 60,000 GB concurrently. Why not sell some of that excess capacity to the MVNOs to recoup some money. If usage by their direct customers reaches certain point, then they just throttle the MVNO customers.

It's similar to manufacturers of motor oil, medicines, bandages, small batteries, etc using their excess manufacturing capacities to make generic/store-brands for Walmart, Amazon, Target, etc. They can sell only so much at "brand-name" prices, why not sell the rest to the "store-brand" sellers.
    That is an excellent expanded explanation and example of what has been covered a time or two in the past. Good that others might now see your expanded details, for the first time. My worry is that the Big Three may end up owning both the "brand-name" and the "store-brand" with the ability to set whatever prices and terms they please.

Feedback Score
    I would say that most of Tracfone brand sales are online because when I go into stores I hardly see anything. In the case of ST, I walked into a WM store hardly seen any ST phones but saw a lot of SIM kits and airtime cards.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast