Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PAYGO expiration date strangeness

Feedback Score

PAYGO expiration date strangeness

Earlier this year I purchased a Page Plus flip phone and a $10 / 90 day pay-as-you-go card. The balance was good through 08/11. About six weeks before it expired, I added another $10 / 90 day card. The expiration date changed to 11/10, which was 91 days after the earlier date. So far, so good. Now I'm about six weeks before reaching the new expiration date so I added another $10 / 90 day card. I expected the expiration date to change to somewhere around 2/8/2023 (90 days), but instead it changed to 1/28/2023, which was only 79 days past the prior date.

Does anyone know why I didn't get the full 90 days?

Device(s)
    LG Aristo 2 Plus (T-Mo); Moto G Power 2020 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    First of all, PPC refills are for 120 days, not 90. I haven't yet taken the time to analyze the rest of the problem. Any additions would extend the service time another 120 days from time of application. PPC refills do not stack, just to cover that. Where did you get the idea they went 90 days?

Feedback Score
    Sorry, I don't know where I got the 90 from. I renewed about a month early so I was only getting about 90 additional calendar days, not realizing that the calendar time resets instead of stacking. Lesson learned: wait until the last service day to refill.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JT74 View Post
    Sorry, I don't know where I got the 90 from. I renewed about a month early so I was only getting about 90 additional calendar days, not realizing that the calendar time resets instead of stacking. Lesson learned: wait until the last service day to refill.
    I would not wait until the last day. If you don't do your deposit by whatever time of day they consider the end of your 120 days you will lose your existing balance. Sometimes the account web site acts up and doesn't work which would keep you from making a deposit on time.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    I would not wait until the last day. ....
    Very true.

I was refilling the AT&T-Prepaid line for an elderly couple I help, and I had happened to leave the task to the last day. The chat rep who added the required $1 that preserves the balance told me that if today is the expiration date, their balance could have potentially "expired" at any time during the day!!

So basically the rep was telling me that I should always refill at least one day prior -- or risk losing the entire balance. I felt quite a chill run through me, at the thought that I had put this couple's balance in jeopardy by leaving it to the last day.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Yes, I don't wait until the last day either. I look at my account on the website, see what's shown as the end of service date (whatever they call it), and refill the day before. It's just become habit at this point.

Feedback Score
    I've always renewed 2-3 days early for the reasons given about website being down. What's the loss of 2-3 days out of 120, or 6-9 over a year for safeties sake. Plus I never knew if the expiration date is the date you no longer have service or the last day you have service. Even none cellular providers all define it differently.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a XL; Moto E4; LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    Google Voice; T-Mobile Postpaid Mobile Data; FreedomPop; FreeUp; Dent; 3UK
    Feedback Score
    In the 14 years I used PPC, I used the $10/120 days Standard Plan for about 12 of those years, and I added another $10 every 119 days, which was exactly every 17 weeks.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE 2020
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus PAYG & T-Mobile Legacy PAYGO
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I added another $10 every 119 days, which was exactly every 17 weeks.
    Same here. Just refilled today.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Refilled my two PAYGO lines successfully today with refills obtained from Pinzoo.com (no tax or other fees, and I'm in Michigan); applied at the PPC website. On kind of the 119 day plan - whatever the website says is my expiration date, I apply funds the day before.

The only strangeness I run into (and this has been happening for years), is that only one of the lines gets a confirmation text from PPC ("card no. xxxxxx... has been applied"). The other one gets nothing. I do get a "successfully applied..." report on the website for each.

Feedback Score
    I've still been getting the funds added confirmation and card number text but what I stopped getting quite a while back are the texts that remind you your plan is due x days from now.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Yes, I hadn't thought about the warning date approaching messages. They ended at some point a couple of years back, although I couldn't be more specific about it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    Refilled my two PAYGO lines successfully today with refills obtained from Pinzoo.com (no tax or other fees, and I'm in Michigan); applied at the PPC website. On kind of the 119 day plan - whatever the website says is my expiration date, I apply funds the day before.

The only strangeness I run into (and this has been happening for years), is that only one of the lines gets a confirmation text from PPC ("card no. xxxxxx... has been applied"). The other one gets nothing. I do get a "successfully applied..." report on the website for each.
    Beware of third party Page Plus refills.

After getting burned, I no longer use third parties to refill my PP paygo. I set up Callingmart to automatically refill my PP paygo with $10 every 120 days. The first time it worked fine. The second time the payment was sent, but PP took the payment and my balance and changed my plan to a monthly plan.

Callingmart said that all they did was send the money. PP said that Callingmart had them apply the payment to a plan change. PP refused to correct the situation. Since Callingmart sent the money I couldn't do a credit card chargeback. I lost about $50 in that whole mess. I'll pay the tax to buy my refills directly from PP. If this results in a plan change and balance loss again I can do a chargeback - and I will be done with PP.

I doubt that Verizon will continue the $10/120 day PP paygo plan much longer anyway. I don't see how it makes any business sense to Vz to run a plan that gets them $30 a year. They are already shutting down new PP activations by dealers on any plan.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    They are already shutting down new PP activations by dealers on any plan.
    It could get tricky about what is considered an activation. Verizon started this a few years ago when VoLTE compatible phones became mandatory, and also affected the MVNOs. Any break in service would disallow the older phones to be reactivated back on the network. A similar thing might happen here with anyone on PPC who tries to change anything in their account, maybe even phone upgrades. Message is do NOT let your service lapse!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JT74 View Post
    Earlier this year I purchased a Page Plus flip phone and a $10 / 90 day pay-as-you-go card. The balance was good through 08/11. About six weeks before it expired, I added another $10 / 90 day card. The expiration date changed to 11/10, which was 91 days after the earlier date. So far, so good. Now I'm about six weeks before reaching the new expiration date so I added another $10 / 90 day card. I expected the expiration date to change to somewhere around 2/8/2023 (90 days), but instead it changed to 1/28/2023, which was only 79 days past the prior date.

Does anyone know why I didn't get the full 90 days?
    Reread the PPG page for buying the plans carefully. Best I understand, there is a "$10" plan which goes for time length of 120 days, which is ~4 months. And I believe if you are refilling at six weeks before expiration, this is too early.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast