Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: PAYGO expiration date strangeness

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    5
    Feedback Score
    0

    PAYGO expiration date strangeness

    Earlier this year I purchased a Page Plus flip phone and a $10 / 90 day pay-as-you-go card. The balance was good through 08/11. About six weeks before it expired, I added another $10 / 90 day card. The expiration date changed to 11/10, which was 91 days after the earlier date. So far, so good. Now I'm about six weeks before reaching the new expiration date so I added another $10 / 90 day card. I expected the expiration date to change to somewhere around 2/8/2023 (90 days), but instead it changed to 1/28/2023, which was only 79 days past the prior date.

    Does anyone know why I didn't get the full 90 days?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Southwest Michigan, USA
    Posts
    4,423
    Device(s)
    LG Aristo 2 Plus (T-Mo); Moto G Power 2020 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    0
    First of all, PPC refills are for 120 days, not 90. I haven't yet taken the time to analyze the rest of the problem. Any additions would extend the service time another 120 days from time of application. PPC refills do not stack, just to cover that. Where did you get the idea they went 90 days?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    5
    Feedback Score
    0
    Sorry, I don't know where I got the 90 from. I renewed about a month early so I was only getting about 90 additional calendar days, not realizing that the calendar time resets instead of stacking. Lesson learned: wait until the last service day to refill.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6,645
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JT74 View Post
    Sorry, I don't know where I got the 90 from. I renewed about a month early so I was only getting about 90 additional calendar days, not realizing that the calendar time resets instead of stacking. Lesson learned: wait until the last service day to refill.
    I would not wait until the last day. If you don't do your deposit by whatever time of day they consider the end of your 120 days you will lose your existing balance. Sometimes the account web site acts up and doesn't work which would keep you from making a deposit on time.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    1,041
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    I would not wait until the last day. ....
    Very true.

    I was refilling the AT&T-Prepaid line for an elderly couple I help, and I had happened to leave the task to the last day. The chat rep who added the required $1 that preserves the balance told me that if today is the expiration date, their balance could have potentially "expired" at any time during the day!!

    So basically the rep was telling me that I should always refill at least one day prior -- or risk losing the entire balance. I felt quite a chill run through me, at the thought that I had put this couple's balance in jeopardy by leaving it to the last day.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Southwest Michigan, USA
    Posts
    4,423
    Device(s)
    LG Aristo 2 Plus (T-Mo); Moto G Power 2020 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Yes, I don't wait until the last day either. I look at my account on the website, see what's shown as the end of service date (whatever they call it), and refill the day before. It's just become habit at this point.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    2,586
    Feedback Score
    0
    I've always renewed 2-3 days early for the reasons given about website being down. What's the loss of 2-3 days out of 120, or 6-9 over a year for safeties sake. Plus I never knew if the expiration date is the date you no longer have service or the last day you have service. Even none cellular providers all define it differently.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    15,804
    Device(s)
    Pixel 3a XL; Moto E4; LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    Google Voice; T-Mobile Postpaid Mobile Data; FreedomPop; FreeUp; Dent; 3UK
    Feedback Score
    0
    In the 14 years I used PPC, I used the $10/120 days Standard Plan for about 12 of those years, and I added another $10 every 119 days, which was exactly every 17 weeks.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,699
    Device(s)
    iPhone SE 2020
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus PAYG & T-Mobile Legacy PAYGO
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I added another $10 every 119 days, which was exactly every 17 weeks.
    Same here. Just refilled today.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Southwest Michigan, USA
    Posts
    4,423
    Device(s)
    LG Aristo 2 Plus (T-Mo); Moto G Power 2020 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Refilled my two PAYGO lines successfully today with refills obtained from Pinzoo.com (no tax or other fees, and I'm in Michigan); applied at the PPC website. On kind of the 119 day plan - whatever the website says is my expiration date, I apply funds the day before.

    The only strangeness I run into (and this has been happening for years), is that only one of the lines gets a confirmation text from PPC ("card no. xxxxxx... has been applied"). The other one gets nothing. I do get a "successfully applied..." report on the website for each.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    2,586
    Feedback Score
    0
    I've still been getting the funds added confirmation and card number text but what I stopped getting quite a while back are the texts that remind you your plan is due x days from now.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Southwest Michigan, USA
    Posts
    4,423
    Device(s)
    LG Aristo 2 Plus (T-Mo); Moto G Power 2020 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Yes, I hadn't thought about the warning date approaching messages. They ended at some point a couple of years back, although I couldn't be more specific about it.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6,645
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    Refilled my two PAYGO lines successfully today with refills obtained from Pinzoo.com (no tax or other fees, and I'm in Michigan); applied at the PPC website. On kind of the 119 day plan - whatever the website says is my expiration date, I apply funds the day before.

    The only strangeness I run into (and this has been happening for years), is that only one of the lines gets a confirmation text from PPC ("card no. xxxxxx... has been applied"). The other one gets nothing. I do get a "successfully applied..." report on the website for each.
    Beware of third party Page Plus refills.

    After getting burned, I no longer use third parties to refill my PP paygo. I set up Callingmart to automatically refill my PP paygo with $10 every 120 days. The first time it worked fine. The second time the payment was sent, but PP took the payment and my balance and changed my plan to a monthly plan.

    Callingmart said that all they did was send the money. PP said that Callingmart had them apply the payment to a plan change. PP refused to correct the situation. Since Callingmart sent the money I couldn't do a credit card chargeback. I lost about $50 in that whole mess. I'll pay the tax to buy my refills directly from PP. If this results in a plan change and balance loss again I can do a chargeback - and I will be done with PP.

    I doubt that Verizon will continue the $10/120 day PP paygo plan much longer anyway. I don't see how it makes any business sense to Vz to run a plan that gets them $30 a year. They are already shutting down new PP activations by dealers on any plan.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California Gold Country
    Posts
    8,361
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    They are already shutting down new PP activations by dealers on any plan.
    It could get tricky about what is considered an activation. Verizon started this a few years ago when VoLTE compatible phones became mandatory, and also affected the MVNOs. Any break in service would disallow the older phones to be reactivated back on the network. A similar thing might happen here with anyone on PPC who tries to change anything in their account, maybe even phone upgrades. Message is do NOT let your service lapse!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    784
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JT74 View Post
    Earlier this year I purchased a Page Plus flip phone and a $10 / 90 day pay-as-you-go card. The balance was good through 08/11. About six weeks before it expired, I added another $10 / 90 day card. The expiration date changed to 11/10, which was 91 days after the earlier date. So far, so good. Now I'm about six weeks before reaching the new expiration date so I added another $10 / 90 day card. I expected the expiration date to change to somewhere around 2/8/2023 (90 days), but instead it changed to 1/28/2023, which was only 79 days past the prior date.

    Does anyone know why I didn't get the full 90 days?
    Reread the PPG page for buying the plans carefully. Best I understand, there is a "$10" plan which goes for time length of 120 days, which is ~4 months. And I believe if you are refilling at six weeks before expiration, this is too early.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. H2O paygo expiration date
    By Relztrah in forum h2o Wireless
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-14-2022, 12:52 PM
  2. *777# no longer gives expiration date on PAYGO plan
    By rfranzq in forum AT&T Prepaid (formerly GoPhone)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-04-2014, 10:48 PM
  3. PayGO Expire Date
    By skypros in forum Page Plus Cellular
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-08-2010, 12:15 AM
  4. What kind of plans will be available after the 8/31 expiration date ?
    By Paulie312 in forum General Nextel Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-25-2002, 12:24 PM
  5. EasySpeak expiration dates
    By IsLand_BoY in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-16-2002, 10:06 PM

Bookmarks