Thread: Verizons new $30 concierge charge for phone setup

Device(s)
    iPhone 13 Mini
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Verizons new $30 concierge charge for phone setup

The Internet wasnt meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so its insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead its a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text. John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    dumb as most of Verizon moves have been lately

Device(s)
    iPhone 13 Pro Max 256Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    I can see AT&T and T-Mobile probably offering this type of service for free just to stick it to Verizon. But I could be wrong.
    HowardForums Veteran Circa 2004

Carrier(s)
    Metro by T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It does not surprise me since the CEO made it clear he does not want poor/working class people on the Verizon Wireless network since they are not premium enough for him. https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ve...ys-11663190843

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post
    I can see AT&T and T-Mobile probably offering this type of service for free just to stick it to Verizon. But I could be wrong.
    T-Mobile already does. They charge a $10 sim fee and a $20 assisted support charge to activate a device in store. Your total is $30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    Metro by T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Theghostlad82 View Post
    T-Mobile already does. They charge a $10 sim fee and a $20 assisted support charge to activate a device in store. Your total is $30.

The difference is T Mobile is not bleeding subscribers every quarter with no end in sight like Verizon Wireless. In addition T Mobile offers perks/savings which Verizon does not since they are too premium to do that.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by techguru30 View Post
    The difference is T Mobile is not bleeding subscribers every quarter with no end in sight like Verizon Wireless. In addition T Mobile offers perks/savings which Verizon does not since they are too premium to do that.
    Bleeding subscribers is a bit of a stretch. Counting the big 2 cable companies that are Verizon Mvnos their network has been adding around a half a million users a quarter, but more importantly, whats your response have anything to do with what I said? Verizon as well has perks just like T-Mobile, T-Mobile offers Netflix, Verizon offers Disney+ and Hulu, T-Mobile offers Apple TV+ Verizon has Apple Music, hell as far as perks go both are a wash. With my 2 lines with each company I got pretty much every streaming app anyone could possibly want. The point still stands, T-Mobile already charges $30 to activate a device in store, if its wrong for Verizon to do it, its also wrong for T-Mobile to do THE EXACT SAME THING. Neither company is doing great at the moment anyways, both companies stocks are down over 7% in the last 30 days and neither one of them can really be defined as consumer friendly anymore. T-Mobile just charges a little less for a little less coverage. They both suck and will squeeze every penny from you they can. Use the one that sucks less for you. Heck all 3 suck to be honest. Once T-Mobile merged with sprint they also became what they claim to hate. They became AT&T and Verizon. They just scream louder that they are different.

Carrier(s)
    Metro by T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    “Bleeding subscribers” is a bit of a stretch. Counting the big 2 cable companies that are Verizon Mvnos their network has been adding around a half a million users a quarter, but more importantly, what’s your response have anything to do with what I said? Verizon as well has perks just like T-Mobile, T-Mobile offers Netflix, Verizon offers Disney+ and Hulu, T-Mobile offers Apple TV+ Verizon has Apple Music, hell as far as perks go both are a wash. With my 2 lines with each company I got pretty much every streaming app anyone could possibly want. The point still stands, T-Mobile already charges $30 to activate a device in store, if it’s wrong for Verizon to do it, it’s also wrong for T-Mobile to do THE EXACT SAME THING. Neither company is “doing great” at the moment anyways, both companies stocks are down over 7% in the last 30 days and neither one of them can really be defined as “consumer friendly” anymore. T-Mobile just charges a little less for a little less coverage. They both suck and will squeeze every penny from you they can. Use the one that sucks less for you. Heck all 3 suck to be honest. Once T-Mobile merged with sprint they also became what they claim to “hate”. They became AT&T and Verizon. They just scream louder that they are different.

Have you been living under a rock every Verizon Wireless quarter results release? We are now talking about three straight customer losses in a row with no end in sight, no course corrections at all but adding more fees to get more of their customers to leave. You are assuming all the losses are from the cable companies not AT&T/T Mobile USA which are also experiencing nice customer growth. My response is pointing out a big difference between T Mobile/Verizon in who can afford to add fees and the other who can not afford to add new fees due to customer losses.

Feedback Score
    It used to be that a store would set up a new phone if bought there. Friend of mine bought two $1000 iPhones from a Verizon corporates store, and they did not even offer to transfer service. She went back the next day and insisted they do so. Last I saw Best Buy will set up new phones.

Comcast/Xfinity is this way too, charging more for services in their stores than online.

Device(s)
    iPhone 13 Pro Max 256Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score

I havent been in a carrier store in years. The sIm fee seems a little extreme.

Feedback Score
    The term “concierge” is so very European! Like in Germany where public toilets have an attendant that expects to be tipped.

Feedback Score
    This is a weird move by Verizon. Its too steep of a price in my opinion

On top of that, last time a Verizon employee touched my phone, they screwed up the sim connectors when they jammed in the sim tray without having the sim in correctly

Ill set my phone up myself from here on out

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daisydoo View Post
    This is a weird move by Verizon. Its too steep of a price in my opinion.
    Many users can't/don't want to set up a phone, and will gladly pay someone to do that. It's a sign of our times that few know how to do many real world things.

Feedback Score
    When I bought my first iPhone for Verizon service through a local Walmart, I didn't have a clue how to transfer all my data from my Android. I had done it several times with Android phones. The phone sales guy was pretty sharp, so I asked him a few questions about it. I expected to go home and do some studying before attempting the transfer.

He sensed my ignorance and gladly offered to help me. He spent over an hour doing the switch, when I left there I was completely transitioned. I would have been happy to pay him $20 for his time, but the subject never came up.

I suspect that Verizon (and others) is trying to re-coup some of the increased costs of labor since the pandemic. Also, Verizon is affected by inflation just like the rest of us. I wouldn't want them to increase my plan price just so they could pay for helping others set up their phone.

I don't see a problem with charging to help phone setups. Most people don't care to get as intimate with their phone's operation as we geeks on HoFo do, many just barely know how to send a text or make a call. I do think $10 for a sim card is a little steep, it should be included with the phone.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by techguru30 View Post
    Have you been living under a rock every Verizon Wireless quarter results release? We are now talking about three straight customer losses in a row with no end in sight, no course corrections at all but adding more fees to get more of their customers to leave. You are assuming all the losses are from the cable companies not AT&T/T Mobile USA which are also experiencing nice customer growth. My response is pointing out a big difference between T Mobile/Verizon in who can afford to add fees and the other who can not afford to add new fees due to customer losses.
    Actually not at all, appears you have though, here let me break it down to simple terms. (Sorry, I sometimes forget people need explaining). Verizon postpaid service has been losing on average about 100,000-300,000 phone customers a quarter, this is true, but, xfinity mobile (comcast) and spectrum mobile (charter) have been adding over 1 million new subscribers combined a quarter. Both these carriers are mvnos of verizon, and are wholesale partners, therefor overall verizon has been actually adding users on their network quarter after quarter. This is why their total customer count has actually increased ( total customers count both verizon proper and wholesale users) and not decreased over this time frame. This is how every single carrier measures their total customer count. This is also why they likely arent in any hurry to do anything drastic to attract new users. Would they prefer those people be on Verizon postpaid? Of course, are they still making money if they use spectrum or xfinity? Of course. Coincidentally (but not) revenue has increased every quarter and they consistently beat revenue forecasts. Why change? Heres an example if I own a business and you own a business, and lets say I serviced 30 customers and made 100,000 in revenue and you serviced 100 customers but only made 45,000, who won?

You are excusing one company from doing the EXACT SAME THING, and condoning another. This is called a double standard. If you are going to hold one accountable for something stupid, you hold all accountable for being stupid. As I originally said, all 3 suck, and all 3 are not in business to save you anything. I wouldnt be surprised if the whole reason Verizon is even considering it, is because T-Mobile is getting away with it. It is a copycat industry. Once one carrier sees another can get away with something, they all eventually follow. Its why we pay for hd video, T-Mobile decided to limit streaming to 480p on their plans, and charge for hd video, every carrier soon followed their lead. Trying to pretend any carrier is more consumer friendly than another is nonsense. Again, they all suck, find the one who sucks the least for you.

Last edited by Theghostlad82; 10-02-2022 at 01:56 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast