Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Verizons new $30 concierge charge for phone setup

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    It used to be that a store would set up a new phone if bought there. Friend of mine bought two $1000 iPhones from a Verizon corporates store, and they did not even offer to transfer service. She went back the next day and insisted they do so. Last I saw Best Buy will set up new phones.

Comcast/Xfinity is this way too, charging more for services in their stores than online.
    I think Best Buy is the only one who still does free in store set ups, Im not positive on AT&T, havent used them in years, but, T-Mobile has for a bit and is likely the reason why Verizon is considering it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    US Mobile, Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Heck, come to my place. I'll setup your phone for $15 out the door. Thought I can do sim transfer and phone transfer and update installs, cant do any internal work with the Verizon system though.
    Home Entertainment: Xfinity 800 meg per second plan, Roku Ultra for Streaming.

Landline: N/A

Mobile Entertainment: Verizon Prepaid(Pending) for main, Cricket Unlimited More for my Secondary phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicpdx17 View Post
    Heck, come to my place. I'll setup your phone for $15 out the door. Thought I can do sim transfer and phone transfer and update installs, cant do any internal work with the Verizon system though.
    Yes, but you don't have to maintain a brick and mortar storefront, nor pay for Social Security, Health Insurance, Sick Leave, Vacation, Maternity Leave, etc. out of that $15.

I don't go into Verizon stores, but if I did I would expect to pay for any services they provided. $30 for an hour or so worth of service is pretty inexpensive. Most businesses charge 3+ times that or more. Try getting a plumber, electrician, auto mechanic etc. to work for an hour at that rate.

Device(s)
    iPhone 13 Pro Max 256Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score

Verizons new $30 concierge charge for phone setup

Quote Originally Posted by bmtvaquero View Post
    Try getting a plumber, electrician, auto mechanic etc. to work for an hour at that rate.
    Those are trades and very labor intensive which requires schooling and lots of hands on training. I dont think anybody would expect any of those trades to be paid at that rate. Setting up a phone does not require a whole lot training or schooling. I got nothing against Verizon charging any fee that they like. Their a business, and theyre entitled to charge whatever fees they like for their services. The beauty of capitalism. I think they would be better off giving the concierge service free on their upper tier plans, and charging for the service on their bottom plans. Personally, I wouldnt pay for such a service, but thats just me. To each their own.
    HowardForums Veteran Circa 2004

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The fee sucks, of course it does, but its what companies do. For anyone thinking any of the carriers are better than any other just remember, all 3 right now, are paying people to think of ways to increase revenue and profitability. Right now at T-Mobile, Verizon, and AT&T someone is being paid to think of ways to get you to spend more money with them. Just as whatever job you do, your boss, or maybe even yourself, is paying someone to think of ways to get people to spend more money at your employer or your business.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmtvaquero View Post
    I do think $10 for a sim card is a little steep, it should be included with the phone.
    Verizon Prepaid phones come with SIM cards. Those are intended for the customer to activate online, but a store could do it too. Around here the Authorized Retailers are owned by one company, and will not deal with Prepaid. You have to go to a Corporate store.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Theghostlad82 View Post
    Actually not at all, appears you have though, here let me break it down to simple terms. (Sorry, I sometimes forget people need explaining). Verizon postpaid service has been losing on average about 100,000-300,000 phone customers a quarter, this is true, but, xfinity mobile (comcast) and spectrum mobile (charter) have been adding over 1 million new subscribers combined a quarter. Both these carriers are mvnos of verizon, and are wholesale partners, therefor overall verizon has been actually adding users on their network quarter after quarter.
    The revenue Verizon gets forma Xfinity Mobile customer is FAR less than what they would get if that customers was with Verizon. Also Xifinity and spectrum prioritize wi-fi over mobile spectrum if available and both own CBRS spectrum and they are now planning on deploying CBRS radios in areas to also reduce usage on Verizon's network Verizon gets paid by the GB so the more these companies get away form using Verizon's network the less money Verizon makes off them. Let's not forget the huge amount of band 71 Comcast has yet to deploy

Carrier(s)
    Metro by T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    The revenue Verizon gets forma Xfinity Mobile customer is FAR less than what they would get if that customers was with Verizon. Also Xifinity and spectrum prioritize wi-fi over mobile spectrum if available and both own CBRS spectrum and they are now planning on deploying CBRS radios in areas to also reduce usage on Verizon's network Verizon gets paid by the GB so the more these companies get away form using Verizon's network the less money Verizon makes off them. Let's not forget the huge amount of band 71 Comcast has yet to deploy
    To add to what you said Spectrum is now pushing out firmware updates to their advanced in home routers to broadcast an encrypted Spectrum Mobile SSID. That right their could offload a lot of traffic off of the VZW network if you are constantly connecting to your neighbor's Spectrum internet connection and that does not even include their CBRS network they are in the process of building out. In addition Spectrum Mobile or Xfinity does not have to stay with Verizon and AT&T/T Mobile would probably love to win that MVNO contract since that brings revenue over to their network.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    No real way to determine this. Both comcast and charter have been losing money with their wireless businesses until very recently. While Verizon does get less, saying it is FAR less may be a stretch, especially seeing Verizons revenue continues to do nothing but rise, and the cable companies have said they pay Verizon a premium to use their network, hence why they want to reduce usage on their network.

Carrier(s)
    Metro by T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    No real way to determine this. Both comcast and charter have been losing money with their wireless businesses until very recently. While Verizon does get less, saying it is FAR less may be a stretch, especially seeing Verizons revenue continues to do nothing but rise, and the cable companies have said they pay Verizon a premium to use their network, hence why they want to reduce usage on their network.

You are correct we will never know the exact amount unless somebody with said knowledge leaks that information but at the end of the day Spectrum/Xfinity are in the process of offloading traffic off of the Verizon Wireless network which means less revenue for VZW. In addition those customers belong to Spectrum/Xfinty not VZW and those customers can easily be migrated over to AT&T, T Mobile, and or Dish Networks mobile service. So VZW might not want to put all their eggs in the cable MVNO basket since it is not a guaranteed revenue stream.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techguru30 View Post
    You are correct we will never know the exact amount unless somebody with said knowledge leaks that information but at the end of the day Spectrum/Xfinity are in the process of offloading traffic off of the Verizon Wireless network which means less revenue for VZW. In addition those customers belong to Spectrum/Xfinty not VZW and those customers can easily be migrated over to AT&T, T Mobile, and or Dish Networks mobile service. So VZW might not want to put all their eggs in the cable MVNO basket since it is not a guaranteed revenue stream.
    Saying they are in the process of offloading traffic isnt entirely correct either. Neither are in the process of actually building their own network, a single band of spectrum is not sufficient to actually build a wireless network that can handle any meaningful network traffic, especially in todays data intensive world. They have plans to install a few sites in high traffic areas to help unload some traffic, but its not going to be a complete network by any stretch of the imagination.

Sure they could switch partners, but saying they can be easily migrated is a bit of a stretch, but sure it could happen. Im sure both Verizon and the cable companies know exactly when their mvno agreement ends, and Im sure the other companies would love to have the cable companies.

Carrier(s)
    Metro by T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Saying they are “in the process of offloading traffic” isn’t entirely correct either. Neither are in the process of actually building their own network, a single band of spectrum is not sufficient to actually build a wireless network that can handle any meaningful network traffic, especially in todays data intensive world. They have plans to install a few sites in high traffic areas to help unload some traffic, but it’s not going to be a complete network by any stretch of the imagination.

Sure they could switch partners, but saying they can be easily migrated is a bit of a stretch, but sure it could happen. I’m sure both Verizon and the cable companies know exactly when their mvno agreement ends, and I’m sure the other companies would love to have the cable companies.

It is entirely correct they are offloading traffic. They are actively deploying firmware to all their advanced in home routers so any Spectrum Mobile device will connect to them meaning data is going thru their network not VZW. In addition Spectrum is starting their test market and has made a pledge with VZW to synchronize their networks to avoid 5G network interference. Here is a link to the article. https://www.lightreading.com/5g/char...d/d-id/780838? I believe the cable companies can also use unlicensed CBRS in addition to their purchased spectrum holdings. In addition their is nothing stopping cable companies from purchasing more spectrum in the future. So I am saying it is not a good idea for VZW counting on Spectrum/Xfinity to make up revenues for their subscriber losses since they can go elsewhere for network access and is not guaranteed income.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techguru30 View Post
    It is entirely correct they are offloading traffic. They are actively deploying firmware to all their advanced in home routers so any Spectrum Mobile device will connect to them meaning data is going thru their network not VZW. In addition Spectrum is starting their test market and has made a pledge with VZW to synchronize their networks to avoid 5G network interference. Here is a link to the article. https://www.lightreading.com/5g/char...d/d-id/780838? I believe the cable companies can also use unlicensed CBRS in addition to their purchased spectrum holdings. In addition their is nothing stopping cable companies from purchasing more spectrum in the future. So I am saying it is not a good idea for VZW counting on Spectrum/Xfinity to make up revenues for their subscriber losses since they can go elsewhere for network access and is not guaranteed income.
    Spectrum has been trying to offload traffic to their wifi systems for a bit now, I have a spectrum line as well. They have a profile you can install on iphones that will look for a spectrum wifi connection wherever you are and connect to it. It works about as well as it sounds like it would. Spectrum also promised their first market live with their network in mid 2022, we haven't heard anything since about where that is, or if they even started building it. I do believe the cable companies will eventually build a very limited network, but also believe it will be a while before it is live anywhere. I do agree though that Verizon shouldnt rely long term on them, or any other wholesale partner as a stopgap revenue source and should shore up their own offerings to entice users, so far however they don't seem inclined to do so, and seem content where they are.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using HoFo mobile app

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2