Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: is swapping Tracfone SIM card(Verizon) back and forth between two unlocked phones no longer allowed?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Sadly, no matter how they try to make these things foolproof, the theives invent a bigger fool to circumvent such protections. It is an ever-evolving challenge for customers and providers.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Really now, how can all we masochists possibly not adore this "special" treatment Verizon is providing us? Do you really think they enjoy treating us this way? It must be company policy to always place customer well-being first, no matter the cost to themselves.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I assure you that I am not "adoring" Verizon for making it more difficult on anyone. They do have an obligation to their customers and shareholders to minimize fraud to reduce costs. Just saying.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    I assure you that I am not "adoring" Verizon for making it more difficult on anyone. They do have an obligation to their customers and shareholders to minimize fraud to reduce costs. Just saying.
    My facetious post was not directed at anyone in particular. It just happened to appear after your post.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    My facetious post was not directed at anyone in particular. It just happened to appear after your post.
    No harm, no foul.

Feedback Score
    The whole TF/Verizon relationship has been wierd since day 1. In the early days of feature phones, when getting a phone (all were Tracfone branded) they were preferring other carriers (I think T-Mobile) over Verizon. To get a Verizon phone here in SoCal I had to use a Goose Bay, Oregon zip code to buy the phone.

When they first offered "Smart Phones" it all changed. They were all CDMA/Verizon. When the BYOP program started it was also Verizon only. Not only did you have to buy airtime and service days, you had to buy a Verizon network access card. They were very picky on what phones they would approve. I bought an HTC Rhyme that I was able to get activated. I bought a second one for my brother that would not activate. I talked to a half dozen CSR’S no one could tell me why one phone worked and the same Make/Model wouldn't. I actually sent an email to the CEO at the time questioning why nobody in his organization had any clue about how the BYOP program worked. To my surprise, I got a call from the woman that was the Manager of Executive Resolutions. She assigned her lead Service tech to try to figure it out. I was actually included in a conference call with Verizon. What we found out was that Verizon had a Whitelist of MEIDs and the second Rhyme wasn't on it. Sound familiar? Never did get it activated. The manager added a year card to the Rhyme that was activated to compensate for the cost of the second Rhyme.

Then BYOP made great strides and TF started selling sims for all 3 carriers. What a great deal. I bought phones that were unlocked for all carriers and had active sims for each. My daily driver was AT&T but I could swap sims for the other two if I had reception problems. Came in real handy when traveling in US.

Now we have come full circle. Sim swapping has become a no no. Verizon is again the preferred carrier. Over the years T-Mobile has become the best carrier in the areas I frequent the most. When AT&T started with their whitelist nonsense I activated another T-Mobile sim and transferred to it. I have big balances and years of service but am getting nags from TF about switching to Verizon. I will resist as long as I can. Verizon sucks in my area. The other T-Mobile sim I had was just combined with the Verizon sim I have. So, I am down to 2 sims and no AT&T connection. After the combine the Verizon sim now has large balances and years of service so, when TF eventually cancels my T-Mobile service, I will combine it with the Verizon sim and move to one of the T-Mobile MVNOs and just keep the Verizon sim. I will have enough service and balances to last for 12 years with that combine.

I have been with TF since it was called Topps and have never seen anything that shows they put their customers first.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6233
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cv91913 View Post

They were all CDMA/Verizon.

I have been with TF since it was called Topps and have never seen anything that shows they put their customers first.
    One would expect that once Verizon and Sprint decommissioned the CDMA network, and everything started being GSM/VO-LTE, most should be interchangeable with the the correct sim or bands.

That only becomes an issue when a phone doesn't have the correct bands/sim to access their network. But then you see some phones blacklisted even when they have the correct bands, so there surely is more to it.

IF TF never showed they put their customer 1st, it's no wonder VZW acquired them; easy assimilation since VZW has always put investors 1st. Match made in hell

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hapollo8 View Post
    But then you see some phones blacklisted even when they have the correct bands, so there surely is more to it.
    The more to it part was that voice wasn't built-into LTE like it was in 2G and 3G. So even though a device may have the "correct bands", to do VoLTE it also needs to be compatible with that carrier's protocols. So that gives carriers an easy excuse not to whitelist certain device as they desire.

Device(s)
    iPhone XR, iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, Verizon - Tracfone AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Just to throw some fuel on this topic.

I have a US Mobile account/line using Verizon and I have sim swapped multiple times. They even encourage it, I wanted to try a new phone out so I chatted with CS to see if they wanted the IMEI they said swap away they didn't need it.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    The more you know the more you will understand and the more you will despise the company for its underhanded tactics.
    Companies live by the axiom, consumer ignorance is bliss for us.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6233
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    The more to it part was that voice wasn't built-into LTE like it was in 2G and 3G. So even though a device may have the "correct bands", to do VoLTE it also needs to be compatible with that carrier's protocols. So that gives carriers an easy excuse not to whitelist certain device as they desire.
    Considering the mass shutdown of 2G & 3G this year, that seems very plausible. Lot of E-waste going in the dumps or overseas if there's a market for that as the migration continues to VOLTE. Good thing Staples just started a $5 reward for such e-waste.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I SIM swapped a Verizon line a month or two ago from one iPhone to another. Mostly curious to see if anything would happen - it’s still working just fine. Both iPhones are factory unlocked. I recently upgraded from a Samsung S21 to a Z Flip4 and also SIM swapped just out of curiosity. Worked fine, but I swapped to a new BYOP SIM and gained WiFi Calling which I’ve never had added to an existing line on the Verizon side of things. Only new lines have gotten it, no matter if my phone is compatible or not.

I’ve actually never run into any issues SIM swapping on the Verizon side but I’ve never done it with a non BYOP SIM. And I’m usually using factory unlocked devices.

Either way, it doesn’t really bother me. A new Verizon BYOP SIM is cheap and service transfers easily online. I’m sure TracFone’s backend is archaic and a patchwork of systems - so if using a new BYOP SIM is the path of least resistance, so be it. I’ll leave that one line as a test for SIM swapping but prior to the last SIM swap, it was in another iPhone for about a year. I’ve had the # for years but it’s not a big deal if something goes afoul. I was curious.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Castrol EDGE 0W-20 is my drug of choice.

Primary: iPhone 13 Pro (T-Mobile & AT&T); Galaxy Z Flip4 (Verizon)
    Mobile Broadband: Franklin T10 LTE hotspot (5GB for $8.50) / iPad mini 6 5G (unlimited 5G data)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NanaC View Post

Its not just TracFone they don't allow sim swapping on, its Verizon pre-paid also. Couple years ago my husband had Verizon pre-paid and swapped his sim into an unlocked phone then put it back into the other phone...
    But was that phone"married" to that SIM?

I understand Verizon forbidding people from swapping when they offer good deals on phone/SIM bundles. They don't want you to use the phone for something else and they don't want you to use the SIM for something else. Makes sense.

Between two unlocked compatible phones not purchased from Verizon they are just being a pain.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hapollo8 View Post
    ... they're the most inflexible carrier around that puts investors 1st over customers. used to be all about the best coverage at a premium...
    Losing customers in droves isn't helping investors any, either. There is enough competition out there, they have to keep customers satisfied, or we walk. With fewer customers, they have to jack up the prices to pay for their infrastructure. More customers leave. If that keeps up, they will go bankrupt, making for many unhappy investors.

Allowing SIM swapping between compatible phones doesn't cost them any money. It won't wreck their system. It might help them keep a few customers.

Device(s)
    LG Aristo 2 Plus (T-Mo); Moto G Power 2020 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    rchang - Good post!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast