Thread: TCL Flip2 Power Bank - Any One Actually Used ?.

Feedback Score

Question TCL Flip2 Power Bank - Any One Actually Used ?.

Anyone have any experience with these using them for their intended purpose ?.

Do they charge at the same speed as a basic charger ?.

Never used anything like this.

Charging up all (6) that I have right now ..... & may be needing to use them over the next few days.

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I used one for a test. I don't remember how fast/slow it charges a phone, but it will get quite hot. It only has enough capacity to charge my Samsung A51 from 20% to about 65%. Good enough for emergency use, I guess.

Carrier(s)
    Twigby & Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tracmac View Post
    Anyone have any experience with these using them for their intended purpose ?.
    I'm trying it now (thanks to your post). My Flip 2 was down about half way. It's about 6:40 P.M. (here) so I'll see how long it takes to fully charge. So far the "brick" is not getting hot. (Maybe that means it's not doing anything?) I'll report back.

EDIT: At about 7:25 P.M. the phone beeped and the notification said it was "fully charged," even though it shows 96%. The charging brick shut down at that time. So the charging time seems to be consistent with the wall charger. The charging brick got slightly warm near the middle of the charge, but never hot. I'm now topping off my Go Flip 3 (which is currently at 72% charge). I'm guessing this brick will work better on smaller batteries (like these flip phones have).

EDIT 2: At about 8:30 P.M. my Go Flip 3 was at 100% charge. In this case there was no beep and the brick was still working. So there must be something different in the phones. The brick never got warm this time. I'm guessing the rate of charge slowed as the the brick's battery was depleting. Now to recharge the brick. It looks like it does what was it was designed to do.
    Last edited by rcentros; 09-28-2022 at 10:34 PM.
    Pixel 2 on Twigby — Alcatel Go Flip 3 on Tello — AGM M7 on Hello Mobile — iPhone SE 1 on FreedomPop — TCL Flip 2 on Tracfone

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
    I'm trying it now (thanks to your post). My Flip 2 was down about half way. So far the "brick" is not getting hot. (Maybe that means it's not doing anything?)
    It could be that the Flip 2 is designed to be charged at a slow rate, as a result the brick doesn't get hot. Newer smartphones are designed for "quick charge" and will suck power from the brick as much as it can, causing the brick to heat up. It's similar to using an extension cord rated 10A to power a lamp which typically draws 100W or less, the cord won't heat up. Use the same extension cord to power a space heater drawing 1500W and the cord will heat up, possibly causing an electrical fire. Try charging a smart phone after you're done charging the Flip 2 & reloading the brick.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Everyone should have one of these so they can see the amperage going to the phone. I`ve seen really low amperage, unplugged and re-plugged the charging cable, and got full "normal" amperage. You are working blind without it. The one pictured is the best type. This is an example, not necessarily the best price you could find.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/19532153428...Bk9SR5Cble3wYA

Carrier(s)
    Twigby & Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    It could be that the Flip 2 is designed to be charged at a slow rate, as a result the brick doesn't get hot. Newer smartphones are designed for "quick charge" and will suck power from the brick as much as it can, causing the brick to heat up. ...
    I think you're right. I don't think I would use this brick on fast charging phones.

Carrier(s)
    Twigby & Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Everyone should have one of these so they can see the amperage going to the phone. I`ve seen really low amperage, unplugged and re-plugged the charging cable, and got full "normal" amperage. You are working blind without it. The one pictured is the best type. This is an example, not necessarily the best price you could find.
    That definitely looks like it could be useful. Thanks for the link.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I've charged two of the power freebie power banks. I think they were dead. Both did not get hot while charging, I had it plugged into a 2.1A USB charger. I haven't used them to charge anything yet, but at least they charged up fine without getting hot.
    Castrol EDGE 0W-20 is my drug of choice.

Primary: iPhone 13 Pro (T-Mobile & AT&T); Galaxy Z Flip4 (Verizon)
    Mobile Broadband: Franklin T10 LTE hotspot (5GB for $8.50) / iPad mini 6 5G (unlimited 5G data)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
    That definitely looks like it could be useful. Thanks for the link.
    I got a two pack of these for < $5 from Amazon. They work great: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08GZGS43N

This version is nice because it gives you a total time and mAh for the charge.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    If you use the reset before each use, your version gives the total mAh put into the battery. But mAh withdrawn from a full battery is the accepted method for determining the battery's current capacity.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    The power pack isn`t just for charging, it can portably power anything that uses 5V with a relatively small amp draw that you normally keep plugged in at home. I cannot think of an example at the moment.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    The power pack isn`t just for charging, it can portably power anything that uses 5V with a relatively small amp draw that you normally keep plugged in at home. I cannot think of an example at the moment.
    Like this USB-Powered Desk Fan

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Mint, Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    Also, LED lamps:
    https://smile.amazon.com/FINENIC-Adj.../dp/B08M5MD923

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Mint, Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLand_BoY View Post
    I've charged two of the power freebie power banks. I think they were dead. Both did not get hot while charging, I had it plugged into a 2.1A USB charger. I haven't used them to charge anything yet, but at least they charged up fine without getting hot.
    Mine only got slightly warm, nothing of concern to me. Plugged it into my LG Aristo 4 and got a notification that it Charging Slowly! First time I've ever seen that message. Later, tried it in a Moto E and charged it from 50% in about 3 hours. Recharged it this morning and not even warm.