Thread: Can I send a TEXT (SMS) from my Windows based computer?

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, wife S10
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score

Can I send a TEXT (SMS) from my Windows based computer?

I know there are specialty apps for different programs that would require the recipient to have that same program. I just want to send SMS to various people from time to time. I have no way of knowing who their carrier is and what specialty programs they may have.

TIA.

mike
    GoogleVoice (domestic call forwarding and cheap intl. calls) Use GV to give us a "home" number in a 2nd location
    8 T-Mobile lines - Unlimited talk and text, data. TM One plan. Get $10/mo. rebate on 7 lines for low data use. Net cost about $185-190/mo. We haven't had a landline in more than 17 years.

Feedback Score
    I believe you just setup T-Mobile's Digits software on your PC. Then you can use that to send and receive texts. Income texts will still be received on your phone as well. But you'll be able to send texts to people from your PC. It should also be able to download your contact list to your pc as well.

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/pla...-on-any-device

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    If you're using an Android smartphone, you can replace the default SMS app with the Google Messages app, downloadable from the play store. Once you've done that, there is a webpage (google.messages.web, or something like that) where you send and receive sms messages from any browser. Never tried it on a Mac or Linux computer, but it should work on those as well.

If you're using an iphone, then I know there's a web interface for that as well.

Note: Google Messages may already be the default on a lot of newer phones. It also enables a lot of RCS functionality.

Device(s)
    1+ 8T 5G, Galaxy S20 5G, Moto G7 Power
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    There used to be a service called FishText but it seems to have gone TU,
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Nokia 6610, Touch Pro II, Lumia 640, LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile (Since Omnipoint!)
    Feedback Score
    If you have an Android phone Microsoft's Windows Phone Link works well for texting.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mikethaler View Post
    I know there are specialty apps for different programs that would require the recipient to have that same program. I just want to send SMS to various people from time to time. I have no way of knowing who their carrier is and what specialty programs they may have.

TIA.

mike
    If you have a google/gmail account, get a free google voice number you can send receive text from there

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, wife S10
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    I do have a Google voice number. Of course the recipient wouldn't recognize the number.

Feedback Score
    You can send SMS from Skype.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mikethaler View Post
    I do have a Google voice number. Of course the recipient wouldn't recognize the number.
    That's why I recommended T-Mobile's Digits. if you use that, the recipient will see your actual T-Mobile number and you can easily send it to everyone on your contact list.

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/pla...-on-any-device

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    That's why I recommended T-Mobile's Digits. if you use that, the recipient will see your actual T-Mobile number and you can easily send it to everyone on your contact list.
    Skype can do all that too. If you set your caller id then that it is also where SMS messages come from.

Carrier(s)
    t-mobile
    Feedback Score
    The google Messages app if you have android phone has this built in and is very easy to set up and send sms from your computer. you just go to https://messages.google.com/ on computer, and open the app then "device pairing" and scan the QR with your phone