Thread: T-Mobile Will Deploy New 2.5 GHz Spectrum ASAP

Device(s)
    iPhone 13 Mini
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

T-Mobile Will Deploy New 2.5 GHz Spectrum ASAP

“The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    Is there a map that shows actually what areas get this?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    t-mobile pretty much has some 2.5 GHz everywhere. To what degree, it varies

Feedback Score
    As for future coverage. That's doubtful. The statement from the press release is probably the most info there:

"The Un-carrier’s Extended Range 5G covers nearly everyone in the country – 320 million people, delivering more 5G coverage than Verizon and AT&T combined. 235 million people nationwide are covered with super-fast Ultra Capacity 5G, and T-Mobile expects to cover 260 million in 2022 and 300 million next year. "

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/networ...er-auction-108

The current coverage map does show what has 5G Ultra Capacity vs 5G Extended Range when you zoom into the city level.

Regardless if they hit those targets, it does sound like an agreesive buildout to add another 65 million in coverage within the next 15 months. Very impressive if they can get close to that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    t-mobile pretty much has some 2.5 GHz everywhere. To what degree, it varies
    I'm thinking of all the areas with absolutely no T-Mobile coverage at all, wondering if this will change things.

Feedback Score
    I'm thinking of all the areas with absolutely no T-Mobile coverage at all, wondering if this will change things.
    By the math in the press release, probably not. If they're claiming coverage of 320 million with 5G Extended Range now and they're bringing the total of 5G Ultra Capacity to 300 million next year than it sounds like they are most likely adding this spectrum to their existing network.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    By the math in the press release, probably not. If they're claiming coverage of 320 million with 5G Extended Range now and they're bringing the total of 5G Ultra Capacity to 300 million next year than it sounds like they are most likely adding this spectrum to their existing network.
    The whole thing about covering 300 million only when they are in their house for once worked great when we had the pandemic and lockdowns, but when people travel a lot again, this becomes less relevant as customers go mobile again (compared to "square miles covered")

Anyway, in one specific place, I think of Leelanau County in Michigan. 2 million people in the county in any given year. Fairly well covered by the traditional "duopoly", with TMO a distant third, really needing to add a few towers.

Thankfully, I also have a Verizon phone with me when I go there......

--------

On the plus side, I was pleasantly surprised at how well TMO covered the "Upper Peninsula"

Feedback Score
    Anyway, in one specific place, I think of Leelanau County in Michigan. 2 million people in the county in any given year. Fairly well covered by the traditional "duopoly", with TMO a distant third, really needing to add a few towers.
    And that's where the Ultra capacity spectrum comes in. If they can cover that county with that frequency, a whole lot more people can use it with great data speeds.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    And that's where the Ultra capacity spectrum comes in. If they can cover that county with that frequency, a whole lot more people can use it with great data speeds.
    So that will reach out to uncovered areas without towers already? I'd be happy with some speed even if it's not high speed. Because there's no speed at all right now.

Feedback Score
    Exactly. I have seen no effort to densify towers in the rural areas of mid Atlantic same gaps where AT&T and Verizon have decent coverage. Don't get my wrong T-Mobile is awesome in urban and suburban areas with speed and density but beyond this its unreliable.

Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    This is true for many people. ironically, one of the last TMobile support representatives that I spoke with, basically stated that TMobile is an urban carrier, not a rural one.

Sent from my SM-G991U using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    So that will reach out to uncovered areas without towers already? I'd be happy with some speed even if it's not high speed. Because there's no speed at all right now.
    It may not reach out to uncovered areas without towers. But if you're in a location with a signal but no speed, then this could bring it to where the data is usable.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    This is true for many people. ironically, one of the last TMobile support representatives that I spoke with, basically stated that TMobile is an urban carrier, not a rural one.

The fact that T-Mobile spent a whole lot of money several years back to build a whole lot of new sites that are located in rural areas and cover very small towns would seem to contradict that statement. And the fact that they have already launched mid-band in a whole lot of rural areas and in those very same very small towns would contradict that statement as well. T-Mobile is not just an urban carrier any more. Unless you consider a town with 1344 people like Laverne, OK to be "urban". T-Mobile just turned on mid-band there. Maybe they should start advertising the place as an "urban center". LOL Laverne did produce a Miss America back in 1967, maybe that was a sign.

They do need to do a whole lot more of that, and they announced a program a year or so ago to do that but have not made much, if any, progress since then, but the whole "urban carrier only" thing actually went away a long time ago.

Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    just to be clear..it was a Tmobile rep, not me. While I will agree that TMobile has come along way since it's pre band 12 days for rural coverage, in many rural areas, it still has a ways to go. Having weak service, or outdoors only vs usable is what keeps them from truly being considered a rural carrier as At&t and Verizon are.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    Having weak service, or outdoors only vs usable is what keeps them from truly being considered a rural carrier as At&t and Verizon are.
    Well, that's the whole point of the recent auction buy:

"T-Mobile invested $304 million in Auction 108 – the FCC’s recent 2.5 GHz spectrum auction – taking home more than 7,000 county-based licenses covering 81 million people primarily in rural areas. "

If they weren't going to continue to improve rural coverage, they could have saved the $304 million.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast