Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Any free ways to check Hotspot speeds?

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a XL; Moto E4; LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    Google Voice; T-Mobile Postpaid Mobile Data; FreedomPop; FreeUp; Dent; 3UK
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sillyette View Post
    OP here. So currently, my roommate and I are using Red Pocket's GSMA $50 plan that gives unlimited talk, text and 100GB data for home internet. (At the time of signing up, it was only 50GB data. Then they raised it to 100GB which was a pleasant surprise). The sim is in an AT&T-whitelisted Android phone. Data is always on, hotspot is always on.

Used to get good speeds but I think AT&T did something to the towers in our area. Now the speeds are horrible. Red Pocket says the network hasn't changed, but I don't think that's right because data speeds have gone down dramatically.

Just out of curiosity, is there a way to know what may have caused the speeds to decrease so dramatically? Thanks!
    I can't answer your actual question, but have you and your roommate checked to see if T-Mobile Home Internet (TMHI) is available for your address? I switched to TMHI in April, and at $50/mo TOTAL, it's been a perfect replacement to our former cable internet.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I can't answer your actual question, but have you and your roommate checked to see if T-Mobile Home Internet (TMHI) is available for your address? I switched to TMHI in April, and at $50/mo TOTAL, it's been a perfect replacement to our former cable internet.
    Thanks, Boz1. I checked after reading your post. No luck, it says service not available .
    You can activate new service on Tracfone and get $80 by using my referral code (you get 8,000 rewards points - that's $80 in service or brand new phone!) You'll also get great karma! Not supposed to post referral codes out on the forum so please PM me for code. Thank you!

Feedback Score
    The sim is in an AT&T-whitelisted Android phone. Data is always on, hotspot is always on.
    Just curious how using your phone as a HS for all your home internet works out? Do you need to charge your phone allot? I use a HS device since it's been mentioned how you can really burn through batteries and heat up the phone using a it as a HS with that much usage. Phone plans that allow HS are cheaper then dedicated HS device plans and if not for burning up the phone I'd prefer that.

HS for my computer is my only internet in my area and none of the carriers (Vzw, TMO,ATT) that tout their Home Internet service seem to make it only available to more metro areas instead of areas without cable that really need some kind of affordable internet. Has to do with capacity but they won't up the capacity in these areas to offer it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Just curious how using your phone as a HS for all your home internet works out? Do you need to charge your phone allot? I use a HS device since it's been mentioned how you can really burn through batteries and heat up the phone using a it as a HS with that much usage.
    Haven't noticed the phone heating up. Haven't noticed the need to charge the phone a lot either. It's set up with the Battery Alarm app, set at 15% to 86%. Needs to be plugged in to charge just once a day.

So there don't seem to be any ill-effects with using the phone as a "dedicated hotspot device". Well, at least no ill-effects so far!

Been using Red Pocket and this hotspot setup for the last 8-9 months. Maybe a year from now (or earlier!) the phone will be fried but being starving students, that's all my roommate and I can afford right now. It's a Moto E6 phone, it has a removable battery so maybe it'll be fine? I sure hope so!

Feedback Score
    Haven't noticed the phone heating up. Haven't noticed the need to charge the phone a lot either. It's set up with the Battery Alarm app, set at 15% to 86%. Needs to be plugged in to charge just once a day.

So there don't seem to be any ill-effects with using the phone as a "dedicated hotspot device". Well, at least no ill-effects so far!

Been using Red Pocket and this hotspot setup for the last 8-9 months. Maybe a year from now (or earlier!) the phone will be fried but being starving students, that's all my roommate and I can afford right now. It's a Moto E6 phone, it has a removable battery so maybe it'll be fine? I sure hope so!
    Thanks. I think with a once a day charge you'll be looking for a new battery in a year if not sooner. But they're cheap and easy to replace.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2