Thread: Converting physical SIM card to esim on iPhone with ATT Prepaid

Feedback Score

Converting physical SIM card to esim on iPhone with ATT Prepaid

I was curious, has anyone used the feature on the iPhone (The ones that support eSIM, like XS and newer) to convert your ATT prepaid plans SIM from a physical sim to an eSIM under Cellular settings? How about transferring your sim/esim to a new iPhone using the setting in the iPhone? Does it work for AT&T prepaid, or only postpaid? Just curious, since the new iPhones wonít use physical SIMs, was wondering if transferring to a new iPhone 14 from older iPhone would work for prepaid.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AudiGuyCar View Post
    I was curious, has anyone used the feature on the iPhone (The ones that support eSIM, like XS and newer) to convert your ATT prepaid plans SIM from a physical sim to an eSIM under Cellular settings? How about transferring your sim/esim to a new iPhone using the setting in the iPhone? Does it work for AT&T prepaid, or only postpaid? Just curious, since the new iPhones wonít use physical SIMs, was wondering if transferring to a new iPhone 14 from older iPhone would work for prepaid.
    I donít think the physical SIM to eSIM transfer or the old iPhone eSIM to new iPhone eSIM transfer worked for AT&T Prepaid in iOS 15. Maybe it will in iOS 16, but I doubt it. I think you have to call customer service and give them the EID and the eSIM IMEI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PLin View Post
    I donít think the physical SIM to eSIM transfer or the old iPhone eSIM to new iPhone eSIM transfer worked for AT&T Prepaid in iOS 15. Maybe it will in iOS 16, but I doubt it. I think you have to call customer service and give them the EID and the eSIM IMEI.

Ok, yeah, I was really curious if it would work for the ATT prepaid. Iím looking forward to see how your port out/in goes, especially the eSIM part ( since Iím contemplating getting the new iPhone 14, and it only does eSIM) Thanks!

Device(s)
    iphone 7
    Feedback Score
    I recently got an iPhone 14 Pro, esim only. I updated to the newest IOS and still could not get the transfer from my old phone to work. I dialed 611 for customer service and they had me transfered and working on my new iPhone in about 15 minutes. So it is possible to convert to esim but it may require a call to AT&T.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron01 View Post
    I recently got an iPhone 14 Pro, esim only. I updated to the newest IOS and still could not get the transfer from my old phone to work. I dialed 611 for customer service and they had me transfered and working on my new iPhone in about 15 minutes. So it is possible to convert to esim but it may require a call to AT&T.
    Thatís great to hear. So they were able to add the eSIM to your new IPhone14 over the phone, without scanning a QR code with you camera? Thatís good too know they are able to do it with just a call to CS.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Thatís great to hear. So they were able to add the eSIM to your new IPhone14 over the phone, without scanning a QR code with you camera? Thatís good too know they are able to do it with just a call to CS.
    My friend called customer service to transfer to eSIM. He gave the EID and IMEI, and the rep submitted the change. The call dropped, since the physical SIM was no longer valid. But the eSIM still didnít work, and he doesnít have access to a landline or someone elseís phone, so he had to drive to the AT&T store to get it fixed. I would only recommend calling to make the change using a line other than the line you are trying to convert.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PLin View Post
    My friend called customer service to transfer to eSIM. He gave the EID and IMEI, and the rep submitted the change. The call dropped, since the physical SIM was no longer valid. But the eSIM still didnít work, and he doesnít have access to a landline or someone elseís phone, so he had to drive to the AT&T store to get it fixed. I would only recommend calling to make the change using a line other than the line you are trying to convert.

Ok Thanks for the heads up, Thatís good to know. On a different note, I watched a video today on how to move a SIM to eSIM or eSIM to eSIM on iPhone with Verizon, and it looks like it works smoothly with Verizon. I hope they can get it working like that with ATT PrePaid.

Feedback Score
    Ok Thanks for the heads up, Thatís good to know. On a different note, I watched a video today on how to move a SIM to eSIM or eSIM to eSIM on iPhone with Verizon, and it looks like it works smoothly with Verizon. I hope they can get it working like that with ATT PrePaid.
    A follow up to my previous post, I got a new iPhone 14 today at Apple, and went over to ATT store after transferring the data to the new phone and it took them about 5 minutes to transfer the physical SIM in my old iPhone to an eSIM in my new phone.

Feedback Score
    anyone who does call in a change to eSIM:

after you have provided the EID and IMEI you will need to have the eSIM device connected to the internet(either via wifi or another SIM) and goto 'add plan' in cellular settings. you should than see the option to finish the provisioning of the eSIM, unlike with some carrier i do not believe you will get a push notification on an iPhone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyrobby View Post
    anyone who does call in a change to eSIM:

after you have provided the EID and IMEI you will need to have the eSIM device connected to the internet(either via wifi or another SIM) and goto 'add plan' in cellular settings. you should than see the option to finish the provisioning of the eSIM, unlike with some carrier i do not believe you will get a push notification on an iPhone.
    Thank you for the heads up!