Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New iPhones Support n14

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score

New iPhones Support n14

Now that the iPhone 14 series supports 5G Band n14, they support the 5G versions of every single one of AT&T’s licensed bands and therefore are future-proof in regard to AT&T’s future refarming of LTE spectrum to 5G.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S21+, S22 Ultra
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    I'm sure the carriers will add new combos and features within a year to get people to continue upgrading every year. Personally, I don't think we will see n14 anytime soon because that will be determined by the FirstNet authority. The iPhone 14 definitely has an incredible amount of bands, including n53

Feedback Score
    Will definitely be some time before we see n14, but nice!

Wonder if it supports DoD spectrum out the box. I know iPhone 12 and up have hardware support for it, but It was rumored this would be the first iPhone otb to support it.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S21+, S22 Ultra
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by matt110 View Post
    Will definitely be some time before we see n14, but nice!

Wonder if it supports DoD spectrum out the box. I know iPhone 12 and up have hardware support for it, but It was rumored this would be the first iPhone otb to support it.
    Not so fast....older devices may get pimped according to this tweet:

https://twitter.com/eliblumenthal/st...EcriDw75F8Ew6A

Edit: The iPhone 13 with the x60 modem supports SA n77_n77, as well as LTE+ n77/3.45 but not NSA n77_n77. Just a guess here, but AT&T may configure this to run on LTE anchor + 3.7_3.45 + LTE SCC in that order. They may not configure the network to utilize LTE anchor + 3.45, in which case older devices don't support it . This is my opinion, so we'll have to wait and see.

Device(s)
    iPhone 13 mini, iPhone 12 mini, iPad Pro 11" M2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T (Red Pocket), T-Mobile (Good2Go Mobile)
    Feedback Score
    Wow. I can't believe they might be backtracking on backtracking over DoD support. I said it before and I'll say it again: I expected more of AT&T. Gatekeeping hardware-supported spectrum to newer phones feels like a very Verizon-like thing to do, given how they relegate "UWB" to premium plans.

Given that AT&T's n77 holdings are smaller than Verizon's and T-Mobile's mid-band, and aren't contiguous; they should be doing everything they can to support all of their n77 spectrum on every device that can use it.

Device(s)
    iPhone 13 Pro Max 256Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score

New iPhones Support n14

Quote Originally Posted by blkballoon925 View Post
    Wow. I can't believe they might be backtracking on backtracking over DoD support. I said it before and I'll say it again: I expected more of AT&T. Gatekeeping hardware-supported spectrum to newer phones feels like a very Verizon-like thing to do, given how they relegate "UWB" to premium plans.

Given that AT&T's n77 holdings are smaller than Verizon's and T-Mobile's mid-band, and aren't contiguous; they should be doing everything they can to support all of their n77 spectrum on every device that can use it.
    It’s very disappointing to say the least. I would be interested to see if they support voNR on older iPhones when that becomes available on the network? Supposedly the X60 on the iPhone 13 supports it?
    HowardForums Veteran Circa 2004

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post
    It’s very disappointing to say the least. I would be interested to see if they support voNR on older iPhones when that becomes available on the network? Supposedly the X60 on the iPhone 13 supports it?
    I think the x60 was the first modem to support voNR. So it's not exactly a large selection of phones even now that can do it.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone SE 2016
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, Mobi, Boom
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post
    That is a good question. There was some speculation when the 12 came out then it seems to have been dropped. It is probably several years before it becomes an issue, and it is likely the phone will be obsolete before it really becomes a requirement. (ie the iPhone 5 was really obsolete before VoLTE became a requirement. Most users had moved on)
    iPhone 12 Pro is my current phone I carry.

Device(s)
    S22 Ultra, S21
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    Not so fast....older devices may get pimped according to this tweet:

https://twitter.com/eliblumenthal/st...EcriDw75F8Ew6A

Edit: The iPhone 13 with the x60 modem supports SA n77_n77, as well as LTE+ n77/3.45 but not NSA n77_n77. Just a guess here, but AT&T may configure this to run on LTE anchor + 3.7_3.45 + LTE SCC in that order. They may not configure the network to utilize LTE anchor + 3.45, in which case older devices don't support it . This is my opinion, so we'll have to wait and see.
    You would think they would need to utilize LTE anchor + 3.45Ghz in order to have Cband access in markets like mine that don't have early-clearing 3.7-3.98Ghz.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zspa710 View Post
    You would think they would need to utilize LTE anchor + 3.45Ghz in order to have Cband access in markets like mine that don't have early-clearing 3.7-3.98Ghz.
    Yea good point. Which also means ATT doesn't plan on deploying DoD spectrum in those markets by itself. I.e - no DoD by itself in those markets outside of top PEAs that have cleared 3.7

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max, Samsung S21 Ultra
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I just read the news. Is n14 another name for AT&T's 3.45ghz spectrum?

It seems like the list if devices that support 3.45ghz is very small! Even the Lenovo ThinkPad X13s, which is a 2022 device, doesn't seem to support the midband 5G spectrum.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    n14 is the FirstNet band. It's 700 MHz.

3.45 – 3.55 GHz is part of band n77, but within the USA it is subject to special rules requiring minimal out-of-band emissions in order to minimize interference risk to DoD operations.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max, Samsung S21 Ultra
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    n14 is the FirstNet band. It's 700 MHz.

3.45 – 3.55 GHz is part of band n77, but within the USA it is subject to special rules requiring minimal out-of-band emissions in order to minimize interference risk to DoD operations.
    So will the ThinkPad X13s support 3.45ghz? PR doesn't seem to say it does even though AT&T sells it.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    As far as I know, the only devices confirmed to support the 3.45 – 3.55 GHz subset of 5G Band n77 are those with the Qualcomm X65 modem or newer.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S21+, S22 Ultra
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    It's too bad Apple doesn't have a service menu that shows all enabled bands.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast