Page 30 of 41 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 LastLast

Thread: TracFone TCL Flip 2 w/ 1year $19.99 on eBay

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Let's say you add a phone today 9/28 and activate it today, the pending points are due to be vested after 61 days, on 11/28. For the points to be vested, the phone must be active on 11/28. That's not a problem if the phone comes with 1-yr of service.

When people buy a refurbished phone, it requires a time card purchase and most people buy the cheapest 30-day card. If they add the phone today and activate it with the 30-day card, the phone will expire on 10/28 and the pending points will go poof. So they'll have to add more airtime. If they add another 30-day card, the phone will expire on 11/27, a day short of the vesting date of 11/28, so the points still go poof.

What they're experimenting is: add the phone today 9/28 to start the vesting clock, but wait a few days like until 9/30 to activate the phone with the 30-day card. The phone's expiration date will be 10/30. Then they add another 30-day card to extend the expiration date to 11/29. That will keep the phone active on the vesting date of 11/28 and the points will be vested. It's just we "cheapies" try to meet the requirements with the least cost.
    "Cheapies" - hey, I resemble that remark! Although I prefer the term "frugal"

Excellent explanation, thank you. Is there a reason to not wait until day 29 or 50 to activate? Just wondering. That way you would lose fewer days from the bundle.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy8SD View Post
    Points vest on day 61, which usually requires 90 days of service. There are reports of points vesting 61 days after a device was added, not after it was activated. If we added a device and waited 5 days to activate, the points would vest during 2nd 30-day period (i.e. only 60 days of service needed). Your phone came with 1-year service, so you don't need to consider 60 or 90 days of service (as long as you activate it before day 61).
    Thank you, that makes sense. Theoretically, it should work if you activate on day 58 then. But I don't think I want to roll the dice to find out.

Feedback Score
    Went on chat and added device to account. The CSR disconnected me before I could ask to activate it. But the Points showed up as pending a few moments later on the website.

Would it be better to activate via chat so the CSR can verify the bundle is there, rather than try to activate via the website?

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzwad View Post
    Is there a reason to not wait until day 29 or 50 to activate? Just wondering. That way you would lose fewer days from the bundle.
    I don't know if there's hidden rule that the phone has to be activated within 30 days after being added. Anyway, delaying the activation will reduce the number of "lost" days, but the drawback is that it will also delay when the phone is eligible for unlocking because the unlocking clock starts when the phone is activated.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Went on chat and added device to account. The CSR disconnected me before I could ask to activate it. But the Points showed up as pending a few moments later on the website.

Would it be better to activate via chat so the CSR can verify the bundle is there, rather than try to activate via the website?
    With the pending points shown in the account, you're almost there. The rep can only tell that the bundle is not there if the system demands a time card to activate the phone. Even in that case, the rep can't do anything about it and just tells you to deal with Ebay or the seller.

Feedback Score

You can chat again to have it activated. If you have a smartphone with TF app installed, you can activate it by yourself too in app:
    Click an Inactivate device, then ‘Activate Device’. It asks "Do you want to keep your phone number of receive a new phone number?" (Options: NEW PHONE NUMBER and KEEP PHONE NUMBER). For New number, it will next ask you to enter the Zip code where you will use your device the most. Next screen is "How would you like to activate?" (Options: ADD SERVICE PLAN WITH A PIN, PURCHASE SERVICE PLAN, and SKIP THIS STEP). Since your phone came with bundled service, you select "Skip This Step" (if no service preloaded to the SIM, you won't see this option). That’s it – phone is activated! Follow the instructions to turn on the new phone. You should receive text from 611611 with new phone # and expiration date. Make calls/send text to see if everything works.

Feedback Score
    I don't know if there's hidden rule that the phone has to be activated within 30 days after being added. Anyway, delaying the activation will reduce the number of "lost" days, but the drawback is that it will also delay when the phone is eligible for unlocking because the unlocking clock starts when the phone is activated.
    With the pending points shown in the account, you're almost there. The rep can only tell that the bundle is not there if the system demands a time card to activate the phone. Even in that case, the rep can't do anything about it and just tells you to deal with Ebay or the seller.
    So if I want to unlock the phone, I must activate it within 30 days after being added.

If I don't care about unlocking and just want to minimize the number of "lost" service days, I just have to make sure it is activated by day 60 so on day 61 the points will vest. Then on day 62, I can combine the bundle with my main line. Correct?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy8SD View Post
    You can chat again to have it activated. If you have a smartphone with TF app installed, you can activate it by yourself too in app:
    Click an Inactivate device, then ‘Activate Device’. It asks "Do you want to keep your phone number of receive a new phone number?" (Options: NEW PHONE NUMBER and KEEP PHONE NUMBER). For New number, it will next ask you to enter the Zip code where you will use your device the most. Next screen is "How would you like to activate?" (Options: ADD SERVICE PLAN WITH A PIN, PURCHASE SERVICE PLAN, and SKIP THIS STEP). Since your phone came with bundled service, you select "Skip This Step" (if no service preloaded to the SIM, you won't see this option). That’s it – phone is activated! Follow the instructions to turn on the new phone. You should receive text from 611611 with new phone # and expiration date. Make calls/send text to see if everything works.
    Thank you C8SD. This is good to know. I am tempted to hold off activating so that I minimize service days "lost" from the bundle. I don't care so much about unlocking the phone, just harvesting the points and service bundle.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    So if I want to unlock the phone, I must activate it within 30 days after being added.
    I don't know if there is such a requirement. I threw it out there in case someone has heard of or got snagged by that hidden rule.

If I don't care about unlocking and just want to minimize the number of "lost" service days, I just have to make sure it is activated by day 60 so on day 61 the points will vest. Then on day 62, I can combine the bundle with my main line. Correct?
    We're still waiting for a definite answer from the people who are doing the experiment.

Feedback Score
    To divert the discussion a bit. If I don't care about points. Can I wait 6mos, 1 yr or more to activate service?
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

My plans:
    Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.03.23

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Can I wait 6mos, 1 yr or more to activate service?
    People had reported that they had activated an HSN bundle more than a year after purchase and it still activated. The only problem is if for some reason the bundled time was not preloaded (as the case with some 1-yr preloaded SIM that TF sold on Ebay), then it's too late to file for a refund.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    To divert the discussion a bit. If I don't care about points. Can I wait 6mos, 1 yr or more to activate service?
    I remember someone at SD said he activated a bundled phone after a year. I once activated a phone (bundled with 1-year service from HSN) 6 months after purchase. The problem is if you waited too long and the service was not preloaded on the SIM, you can't get money back.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Here is the information on activating within 30 days of adding the phone to your account so that the 10,000 points will vest on day 61.
    https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...-to-be-Changed!!

post 442 above - In his first sentence, fuzzwad confused unlocking with points vesting.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Here is the information on activating within 30 days of adding the phone to your account so that the 10,000 points will vest on day 61.
    https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...-to-be-Changed!!

post 442 above - In his first sentence, fuzzwad confused unlocking with points vesting.
    Thank you, Tracfancier. Yes, I am confused in general with all the rules to follow.
    Line must be activated within 30 days for points to vest
    Line must be active on day 60 or 61 for points to vest
    Line must be active for 60 days for phone to be unlocked

I went ahead and activated on the website, which was very easy, made a call, sent a text , turned phone off and stuck it in a drawer. I will follow the thread you linked to see how the experiment plays out.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Now make NO changes within the account for 61 days, other than adding an airtime pin, or until the points vest and you get the phone unlocked.
    At least ask here before you do anything.

Page 30 of 41 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 LastLast