Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Looking for advice on buying new phone

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    21
    Feedback Score
    0

    Looking for advice on buying new phone

    Hi folks -

    Iíve been using an iPhone 6s for the past five years, and Iím finally ready to upgrade. Since Iím obviously not someone who needs or buys new phones frequently, I thought Iíd splurge and get the new iPhone 14 thatís arriving next month. But since the rumors claim that Apple isnít switching to USB-C ports until the iPhone 15, I thought Iíd wait another year for that, and in the meantime, buy an older model to hold me over Ďtil a new phone with USB-C is finally available.

    Does that thinking make sense to experienced iPhone users? If so, can anyone recommend a good (older model) iPhone option? I was hoping to spend less than or up to $500, so maybe iPhone 11 or 12?

    Thanks for any advice.

    -Starr

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    West Palm Beach
    Posts
    276
    Device(s)
    Iphone XS, Google Pixel 6, Motorola G power 2021
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    0
    I have a XS and like it a lot. It has bad battery life for me at least for me. My wife and son have the 11 pro max. It has way better battery life. If you don't mind having a camera that not too good you could get a XR. I hear that people say the XR has good battery life. It also depends if you want an OLED screen screen. The XR has the same screen size as the 11 and 12 6.1 inches and is LCD.

    Sent from my TECNO KG5j using HoFo mobile app

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    21
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by David Walcott View Post
    I have a XS and like it a lot. It has bad battery life for me at least for me. My wife and son have the 11 pro max. It has way better battery life. If you don't mind having a camera that not too good you could get a XR. I hear that people say the XR has good battery life. It also depends if you want an OLED screen screen. The XR has the same screen size as the 11 and 12 6.1 inches and is LCD.

    Sent from my TECNO KG5j using HoFo mobile app
    I forgot about the LCD vs. OLED screen distinction. Something to consider. Thanks.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    21,185
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    My mom uses the iPhone SE 2022 and is very happy. The phone uses the prior lightning cable charging port, but the cord end that goes to the wall charger is USB C.
    Just another day in paradise.....

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    943
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    The 11 Pro Max is an amazing all around phone. Battery life is stellar. Camera is strong. Then you have the OLED screen. I'd get that over a 12 model. Maybe see what they're going for on Swappa?

    Sent from my SM-N975U using HoFo mobile app

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    21
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlimar1 View Post
    The 11 Pro Max is an amazing all around phone. Battery life is stellar. Camera is strong. Then you have the OLED screen. I'd get that over a 12 model. Maybe see what they're going for on Swappa?

    Sent from my SM-N975U using HoFo mobile app
    Great idea. Thanks.


    AMSerial Port
    My mom uses the iPhone SE 2022 and is very happy. The phone uses the prior lightning cable charging port, but the cord end that goes to the wall charger is USB C.
    Thanks.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4,414
    Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone SE 2016
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, Mobi, Boom
    Feedback Score
    0
    Part of it is why upgrading? Old/slow? As mentioned, there is the 2022 SE which is the cheapest "new" option and would be the same size you are used to.

    Also, which carrier? If T-Mobile, something newer than the X/8.
    iPhone 12 Pro is my current phone I carry.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    21
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    Part of it is why upgrading? Old/slow? As mentioned, there is the 2022 SE which is the cheapest "new" option and would be the same size you are used to.

    Also, which carrier? If T-Mobile, something newer than the X/8.
    Good question. I can definitely hold on to it, and maybe I will, but itís getting old, and I donít think a 6s is getting any more ios updates. Iíve been waiting to upgrade for awhile now, and I thought Iíd finally do so with the iPhone 14, but the lightning port vs USB-C issue is giving me pause.

    I use a MVNO that uses Verizon.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    617
    Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    0
    Why does a USB c port/cable matter compared to Lightening?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    21,185
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    USB C charges faster and is more efficient.

Similar Threads

  1. looking for advice on buying the perfect phone!
    By msarway in forum Phone Battle and Comparison
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-08-2013, 08:55 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-29-2010, 02:20 PM
  3. looking for opinions on a new phone
    By turtledude558 in forum SonyEricsson
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-30-2008, 07:13 PM
  4. Looking for opinions on a new phone
    By turtledude558 in forum LG
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-30-2008, 12:20 AM
  5. Looking for recomedations on a new Phone/PDA (NorCal/SoCal Coverage Area)
    By DCHAVOC in forum Phone Battle and Comparison
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-24-2008, 10:54 AM

Bookmarks