Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: change phones

Feedback Score

change phones

Hi,
    My friend needs to change phones.
    His old phone broke, and wants to use the same sim card in the new phone.
    Which category does he need to choose, ‘activate phone’ or ‘transfer number’?

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto G6, Moto E5 Play, LG Classic Flip
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, FreeUp,Tello, T-Mo Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    The answer depends on several factors and may be "neither one", i.e. not that simple.

1.) Was the old phone sold by TracFone or was it an unlocked phone that he had put a TracFone SIM into?

2.) Which network is the underlying carrier, AT&T, Verizon, or T-Mobile?

3.) Did he buy the new phone from TracFone, or is it an unlocked phone?

Feedback Score
    1. Old phone was a Verizon phone that he had put a TracFone SIM into.

2. Verizon

3. New phone is an unlocked phone.

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Nowadays, swapping a TF/Verizon SIM can cause problems. The best way is to get a BYOP TF SIM Kit for $1 at local Best Buy, Target, Family Dollar, or Ebay (sold by TF). Then use a TF/Verizon SIM in that kit with the new unlocked phone and ask a rep to transfer service (phone number, buckets, days) from the old phone to the new BYOP SIM.

Device(s)
    Z10, Bold, Galaxy S8
    Feedback Score
    never mind. just follow hpham's advice.

Sent from my SM-G970U using HoFo mobile app
    Last edited by jboard55; 08-07-2022 at 10:37 AM. Reason: everything i said is a repeat of what soneone said earlier

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iris C. View Post
    Hi,
    Which category does he need to choose, ‘activate phone’ or ‘transfer number’?
    You have three choices for activation. Phone call, online chat, online automated system. With all you will need the present phone number and the IMEI number of the new phone. IMEI number is in Settings/About Phone. That varies with phone model, so you will have to look around the menus.

Automated system is Activation/Keep your own phone/I want to keep my number. It should then ask for the IMEI then do a compatibility check.

Feedback Score
    Thank you all for replies.

He is going to try this:

“Automated system is Activation/Keep your own phone/I want to keep my number. It should then ask for the IMEI then do a compatibility check.”

Let you know what happens.

Device(s)
    geothermal nuclear
    Carrier(s)
    aircraft
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Nowadays, swapping a TF/Verizon SIM can cause problems. The best way is to get a BYOP TF SIM Kit for $1 at local Best Buy, Target, Family Dollar, or Ebay (sold by TF). Then use a TF/Verizon SIM in that kit with the new unlocked phone and ask a rep to transfer service (phone number, buckets, days) from the old phone to the new BYOP SIM.
    What has changed recently?... I thought one could always just swap BYOP to BYOP by just taking the SIM out of the old phone and putting it in the new phone. No need to tell TF anything. At least this is my with my ATT BYOPs for last few years.

What kind of issues could crop up with the Verizon SIMs now?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy A32 5G, Moto G Stylus 2021, Moto G Power 2020
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jaxpaboo View Post
    What has changed recently?

What kind of issues could crop up with the Verizon SIMs now?
    Verizon purchased TracFone is what changed and they don't allow sim swapping if your running on Verizon towers.

Issues that could crop up if you sim swap running on Verizon towers.
    Your service can get suspended, it happened to me several months ago. If that happens you have to call TF CS to get service restored.

As far as I know you can still sim swap running on AT&T and T-Mobile towers. With AT&T towers though if the phone isn't on the AT&T whitelist it could get deactivated.

Feedback Score
    He is going to try this:

“Automated system is Activation/Keep your own phone/I want to keep my number. It should then ask for the IMEI then do a compatibility check.”
    Make sure to check how much service is on the present phone before a transfer. 611611 BALANCE, online account, My Account app.
    The new phone will need the Google account put on, which should download the contacts.

Feedback Score
    We tried:
    “Automated system is Activation/Keep your own phone/I want to keep my number. It should then ask for the IMEI then do a compatibility check.”(post#7) . .

. . and got stuck at
    our records indicate your current phone is not compatible with existing network carrier standards . . . . . , after entering sim# and could not proceed further.

It never got to the part where it asks for IMEI of new phone.

btw . . . the new phone is a iphone SE 1st generation and in settings > general > about > network is TFW

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    . . and got stuck at
    our records indicate your current phone is not compatible with existing network carrier standards . . ., after entering sim# and could not proceed further.
    Which SIM # did he enter? The new BYOP TF/Verizon SIM from a BYOP kit?

Feedback Score
    Thank you all again for your replies.

Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Which SIM # did he enter? The new BYOP TF/Verizon SIM from a BYOP kit?
    We entered the sim# from the old phone (Verizon branded Samsung Galaxy S4 mini) which halted the process . .
    but a new TF sim card kit has been ordered and is on the way. Will let yez know how it goes.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    We entered the sim# from the old phone (Verizon branded Samsung Galaxy S4 mini) which halted the process . .
    but a new TF sim card kit has been ordered and is on the way.
    The SIM # of the old phone is the wrong number to enter.

The process should go like this:
    1. Go to TF web site. Log into his TF account. If he doesn't have a TF account, go to Step 2.
    2. Click on ACTIVATE-->Keep Your Own Phone (i.e. BYOP)
    3. Click on "I want to keep my number".
    4. Enter his current phone number.
    5. It should text a security code to his current phone to enter on the site. If his current phone is dead, you will need to receive the code by his email if there's that option. If his phone is dead and he doesn't have an email in his TF account, you'll need to contact a rep.
    6. It should ask for the SIM # of the NEW SIM and IMEI of the iPhone SE.

I can't try the rest of the steps without actually activating a SIM. So just follow what the web site says.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    If he has airtime that he cannot afford to lose during the automated service transfer then you should use chat immediately before using the automated system to get a written record of his remaining airtime, along with the "chat reference number" so that the chat can be found later. A chat transcript seems to be the only record they will accept as proof of the remaining airtime they themselves lost during any service transfer. If they will not give the airtime and service end date, you give it to them and get them to verify it is correct. Copy and paste the transcript into a file or an e-mail to yourself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast