Thread: ATT Branded Samsung Phones - ATT to Verizon SIM swap failure

Device(s)
    geothermal nuclear
    Carrier(s)
    aircraft
    Feedback Score

ATT Branded Samsung Phones - ATT to Verizon SIM swap failure

Daughter's Samsung S9 Note (ATT brand) (with ATT TF SIM) stopped being able to make or receive phone calls about a month ago. Finally got around to contacting support and of course they they tell me they have to switch to new Verizon SIM. Waited a couple days for them to send me free Verizon SIM.

Took about 24 hours for the 'port to successfully take'. I think port was successful on TF end, but would get from 4 bars of searching network to either Searching for service, No Network found, or Preferred System (or some sort of Preferred <something>) with a 1 bar with R (no LTE) next to it. With that Perferred... phone call had very bad connection, data won't work.

I'm in outskirts of Tampa and Porting department tells we that I have to activate phone by driving to where my phone was originally activated 2 years ago... downtown Tampa. After 2 hours on the phone with porting I know this is BS, but I'm at wits end and hang up and drive downtown. I guess the idea is I'm definitely in strong Verizon tower area, but same issue. 1 bar with R. No LTE at top.

I tried the new Version TF SIM in my other phone - Samsung S10e (ATT brand) with exact same issue. So I can rule out phone being issue... right?

Finally able to convince... errrrr demand then to try and port me to T-Mobile since that is what a couple of my lines are set to. Lucky for me I have an old 3-1 SIM kit and Porting finally agrees to give it a try.

Porting was telling me that they had to manually add me to T-Mobile (instead of using default program?) which I guess makes since TF is now a Verizon shop. He kept me on the phone which we waited for my number to leave Verizon and waited for number to show up on T-Mobile. Surprised this process only took 15 or 20 minutes. I think I got lucky with my Porting person.

I asked him if he had encountered others with this same 1 bar with R when they try and activate to from ATT SIM to Verizon SIM and he mentioned that he thought some ATT branded phones may have this issue.

So maybe ATT branded phones (at least ATT branded Samsung Galaxy phones) may have this same issue when porting to new TF Verizon SIM.

Posted to help any one else with this issue. Also any one else with ATT branded phone moving from ATT SIM to Verizon SIM please respond to thread. Where you successful to transfer and got 4 bars of service (and LTE), or are you stuck with 1 bar with R?

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Maybe the ATT-branded Samsung phones don't have the LTE bands needed for Verizon VoLTE (2, 4, 5, 13, 66) with band 13 being the primary band.

Install the Samsung Band Selection app from Google Play Store to your daughter's S9 phone. Put in a TF/Verizon SIM and run the app. Check the bands it show and tell us what they're. The reason for putting in a TF/Verizon SIM is that (someone here said) the app will list only the bands compatible with that SIM.

Feedback Score
    As you state ATT branded phone - is it unlocked? A locked ATT phone will only work w/ an ATT MVNO unless it is unlocked and has the appropriate bands for the new carrier.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy A32 5G, Moto G Stylus 2021, Moto G Power 2020
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Maybe the ATT-branded Samsung phones don't have the LTE bands needed for Verizon VoLTE (2, 4, 5, 13, 66) with band 13 being the primary band.

Install the Samsung Band Selection app from Google Play Store to your daughter's S9 phone. Put in a TF/Verizon SIM and run the app. Check the bands it show and tell us what they're. The reason for putting in a TF/Verizon SIM is that (someone here said) the app will list only the bands compatible with that SIM.
    Samsung Band Selection app is now charging a fee to show network bands. I'm not paying to use it so I did the Verizon compatibility check. My Unlocked Samsung Galaxy A32 5G failed, says not compatible. You may be right, the AT&T branded Samsung Galaxy phones may not have all the bands needed to run on Verizon.

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Here's the Verizon IMEI Checker if the OP wants to check his AT&T-branded phones.

Device(s)
    S22+/A51/A71 5G, Pixel 6a/4a5G, Moto G7 Power/Z3 Play/One 5G Ace
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Also, maybe the Verizon SIM did not properly install the correct APN, in order to receive data. If the APN is either TRACFONE.VZWENTP or VZWINTERNET, try switching it to the other name.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    If you still have the AT&T firmware on your phone, that could be the issue.

Lots of the newer Samsung phones are the same internally. It is only firmware that changes things.

You can check this by looking at the model number of the phone, not the model name of the phone.

If it is only U, you need to switch the firmware to U1. U is mainly for major carriers. U1 is for MVNO's and some major carriers.

Another thing is Samsung uses CSC or region codes to help setup the phone. U1 firmware has TFN CSC code. While U firmware does not have TFN.

You can check what CSC or region code that your phone is using by looking at the Service provider software version which is in Software information menu in About phone.