Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: So It's True That The Cell Phone Industry Sucks After All

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    There is probably an interest in keeping sim cards as cheap as possible, so there is no point in providing extra blank space for contacts. The phone and sd cards are much more suitable as storage locations, and also more flexible, as they can also store photos and other things and cross-reference between categories.
    SIM cards are one of those things where you really don’t want to break backwards compatibility, for obvious reasons like this.

But as an added data point, only my AT&T SIM card seems to have issues with accessing the contact storage. I tried to import the SIM contacts from an Android phone and I got similar results, it just sits there and spins indefinitely.

My T-Mo SIM (not sure if it’s a true 5G SIM or not, but I get 5G service on it) in an iPhone allowed me to import the default contacts, Voicemail, Customer Care/611, etc. from it no problem. So maybe it really is just some more AT&T lockdown?

I get that very few people would actually want to store contacts on their SIM today, as others have said there are much better options. But at the same time even old 16k SIMs (not sure about the 8k ones, I don’t think I ever had one that old) allowed for some limited contact storage, so not sure why there would be some big push to get rid of it altogether on todays 128k or higher SIMs. I don’t think there is any money to be saved when we are talking about data sizes so small.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    So maybe it really is just some more AT&T lockdown?
    I don't know, but it's my impression that the problem I've experienced originates with AT&T. That's where RedPocket is getting their AT&T SIMS, right? When I take their SIM out of my phone, the Contacts section works fine.

My Smartflip came with an AT&T SIM installed (not RedPocket). I never tested that SIM as AT&T was too pricey for my very modest needs. Maybe I'll stick the card in just to see what happens.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Clueless Guy View Post
    Thanks for the info sillyette, much appreciated. If I choose this option I will definitely obtain and use your referral code. I've bookmarked your post so I can easily find my way back here.
    It does seem like a great deal, so I'll study it further.
    Sounds good, thanks!
    Just remember that HSN's deals on phones keep changing, and the phones go out of stock pretty frequently, so there's no way to predict how much longer this particular deal will be available.
    You can activate new service on Tracfone and get $80 by using my referral code (you get 8,000 rewards points - that's $80 in service or brand new phone!) You'll also get great karma! Not supposed to post referral codes out on the forum so please PM me for code. Thank you!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sillyette View Post
    Sounds good, thanks!
    Just remember that HSN's deals on phones keep changing, and the phones go out of stock pretty frequently, so there's no way to predict how much longer this particular deal will be available.
    Ok, got it, good advice. I'm anxious to get this over with finally, so I'll likely do something soon.

This is awkward, but I should ask you this. Whatever phone and company I use I will report the results here, the pros and cons, the good and the bad, as best I understand it. Are you comfortable with that? You know, you've probably read enough of my posts to know that whether I'm happy or unhappy, in both cases I'm enthusiastic to a fault.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone SE 2016
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, Mobi, Boom
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    SIM cards and SD cards are not the same thing and each one has a separate function. SIM cards don't have sufficient memory/storage to retain phone contacts and that's it. No need to debate it or justify anything. I think my first cell phone had only 64 or 128 kilobytes of internal storage and my SIM had 8 kilobytes of storage. Technology has changed dramatically over the past several years.
    Historically they could. But in a format/capability that made sense over 20 years ago. Which, of course, is why the industry moved away from it. And most phone, if they could access the SIM contacts, would only allow import.

You could put a lot of contacts in 8kb when you aren't storing other information like thumbnails, etc, in them Just limited text and a number.
    iPhone 12 Pro is my current phone I carry.

Feedback Score
    Maybe I'll stick the card in just to see what happens.
    Do it for science and let us know what happens.

Feedback Score
    Ok, got it, good advice. I'm anxious to get this over with finally, so I'll likely do something soon.

This is awkward, but I should ask you this. Whatever phone and company I use I will report the results here, the pros and cons, the good and the bad, as best I understand it. Are you comfortable with that? You know, you've probably read enough of my posts to know that whether I'm happy or unhappy, in both cases I'm enthusiastic to a fault.
    1. We like a good read.
    2. Inquiring minds want to know.

Feedback Score

This is awkward, but I should ask you this. Whatever phone and company I use I will report the results here, the pros and cons, the good and the bad, as best I understand it. Are you comfortable with that? ...
    No worries, feel free to bash Tracfone if they treat you badly. In fact, feel free to bash Tracfone even if they *don't* treat you badly!

Feedback Score
    No worries, feel free to bash Tracfone if they treat you badly. In fact, feel free to bash Tracfone even if they *don't* treat you badly!
    TRACFONE IS THE WORK OF SATAN!!!!

But I hope they have a good cell phone service, cause I'm gonna give that deal you told me about a try.

Feedback Score
    That's it! You'll have gotten the flip phone plus 2 years of service plus 1440 minutes,texts,MB for $30+tax.

I think that's a really great deal, especially since it really helps me out too when someone uses my referral code! So thanks if you choose this option!
    Ok, I did it. Ordered the phone on HSN, got the discount, awaiting delivery.

As soon as I get the phone I'll activate, get your referral code from you, and enter it, get the bonus points, and be rich beyond my wildest dreams.

Thanks much for the advice!

Device(s)
    Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket Verizon prepaid monthly
    Feedback Score
    Most of my posts on HoFo are about the problems I've had with Red Pocket.

For the sake of newcomers, like the OP (Clueless Guy), it would be nice if the moderators had a dedicated sub-forum for them, like other MVNOs, where all the posts could be seen in one place.

(If he could've seen mine and all the other posts, all those horror stories would have warned him away from Red Pocket.)

Carrier(s)
    Page Plus, Liberty Wrls., T-Mobile, TRU SIM, Visible
    Feedback Score

Same phone, same shortcoming, different network

Will the Alcatel MyFlip 2 suffer from the same problem? If it won't, then there's a very low-cost solution on Tracfone.
    I suspect that it will.

I have the earlier Alcatel MyFlip A405 and LG L125 Tracfone-branded phones running on Page Plus ( = Tracfone = Verizon), both using the pre-installed Tracfone SIMs. Neither has experienced the "Loading..." failure, but,
    • On the Alcatel, if I try to save a contact to the SIM, I get: Save contact not completed due to unknown error.
    • On the LG, the menu offers no "Save to SIM" option at all.

None of the Alcatel flips I've set up, under any of the three networks, would save contacts to the SIM.

Device(s)
    LG Aristo 2 Plus (T-Mo); Moto G Power 2020 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    The OP isn't interested in saving contacts to the SIM (as I interpret things), and indeed, it's pretty well established that that's a fairly old-school practice that isn't very versatile or beneficial compared to how even the most basic current phones handle contacts.

Feedback Score
    As soon as I get the phone I'll activate, get your referral code from you, and enter it, get the bonus points, and be rich beyond my wildest dreams.
    LOL, you'll be rich beyond your wildest dreams, *plus* you'll get great karma! Can't beat that combination!

Carrier(s)
    Page Plus, Liberty Wrls., T-Mobile, TRU SIM, Visible
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    The OP isn't interested in saving contacts to the SIM (as I interpret things), and indeed, it's pretty well established that that's a fairly old-school practice that isn't very versatile or beneficial compared to how even the most basic current phones handle contacts.
    The OP has (by my count) three open threads, two of which seem heavily focused on saving & retrieving contacts to & from the SIM and otherwise.

I well understand the OP's desire for an uncomplicated, non-touch screen flip phone, with dependable service & support, for occasional use. As has been said, the few devices available today tend to be inadequate replacements for their GSM & CDMA predecessors -- disdained for oddly squirreling commonly used features (speakerphone) within circuitous menus, not displaying Caller ID on the external screen, marginal build quality & durability, etc. A niche product, but low-end...yet if unsubsidized, not inexpensive: the current Alcatel/TCL Go Flip costs $126 from T-Mobile.

The smartphone ecosystem relegates seekers of simplicity to dwindling, poorly implemented choices. Once purchased, no amount of assistance from MVNOs' Tech Support can make these phones' features work as expected. Of course it's frustrating, but maybe the disgruntled customer can be be upsold to a nice new iPhone-?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast