Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: talk and surf

Device(s)
    HTC Hero
    Carrier(s)
    cellular south
    Feedback Score

talk and surf

Does cricket support talk and surf or does it depend on phone? seems like most newer phone should support it
    Website Design
    youonthenetyet

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Do you go to the ocean to surf with your phone? Gotta be tricky.

In all seriousness, it's not the carrier that makes that determination. It's dependent on the phone's capabilities. To my knowledge, any modern phone will allow simultaneous data and talk. It was different with Analog and many 2G devices. At&t allowed it when I worked for them back in 2001 as long as the phone was capable.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    I needed this from the time it started for captioning of phone calls. There was a time when the GSM providers had this and CDMA did not.

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I did a search on "talk and surf" and found this (old?) AT&T Document .

With the major US carriers switching to VoLTE nowadays, any phone that's VoLTE-capable will support simutaneous Voice and Data usage (for surfing the Internet).

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I remember that flyer back when I worked for At&t (aka Cingular Wireless) customer service. I don't remember when it was published/released.

Device(s)
    moto g stylus 5G
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Yeah it was a while ago when AT&T (or Cingular?) was the only company that had that capability. Seems like a lifetime ago. Now, its standard. Even the lowest of the low end, $50 phone can do it.

Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RodimusConvoy View Post
    Yeah it was a while ago when AT&T (or Cingular?) was the only company that had that capability. Seems like a lifetime ago. Now, its standard. Even the lowest of the low end, $50 phone can do it.
    Yeah, in the 2G/3G days, T-Mobile, AT&T/Cingular, Centennial, and some other small regional carriers could (all GSM/UMTS-based), while the CDMA carriers (Verizon, Sprint, US Cellular, Alltel, etc.) could not. As everyone moved to LTE and VoLTE, the exceptions dwindled (mostly Sprint in places that VoLTE wasn't rolled out).

Cricket adds a bit of screwiness, as people on the old, pre-AT&T Cricket were on CDMA and often roamed on Sprint and I think that perception stuck around, even though the current version is pretty much the same as AT&T as far as network operations go (even more now than in the 2013-2017 "proxy" days).

Feedback Score
    I don't remember just how it worked but there was a time when I carried two cell phones in order to use Relay to have captioned calls. Data is needed for the captions of what the other person is saying and voice to talk for your end. Now my understanding is that some captioning apps use data for both sides. That type of service is what I use on a cell phone but still use the Relay that is provided by dialing 711 and they then connect to the other party when using my landline. The call can be started by either the person the needs the captions calling 711 or the person that wants to call someone that needs the captions calling 711.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone SE 2016
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, Mobi, Boom
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by iamagolfer View Post
    Does cricket support talk and surf or does it depend on phone? seems like most newer phone should support it
    Essentially, for the historically "GSM" networks, this has been standard since 3G came out.

For the historically "CDMA" networks, this has been standard since 4G/LTE came out. Except for a couple phones that had 2 radios so one could be used for voice, one for data.

T-Mobile still has a very small footprint of GSM service. If your phone was limited to that, it would be either voice or data.
    iPhone 12 Pro is my current phone I carry.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a dual sim op 7t device. It appears both (in lte mode) can be on stand by at the same time, but once one is on call, the other is completely inactive. The use case is if one sim is for voice, other for data then data doesn't work while in a call.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, Mobi, Boom
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    I have a dual sim op 7t device. It appears both (in lte mode) can be on stand by at the same time, but once one is on call, the other is completely inactive. The use case is if one sim is for voice, other for data then data doesn't work while in a call.
    Standard for most 2 SIM phones. Only 1 radio. If you are on data on one line, I think the phone should check periodically on the other line for incoming voice calls.

But if you have voice and data on one of the SIMS, both should still work at same time. Though I can see if you have one line with a real good data package, but your primary voice number is on the other, why you may be in this situation.

iPhones have the option of using the data on the other SIM for voice, so even then both can work at the same time. Most useful if you put in a foreign SIM, such as the UK when traveling, but still want to receive US calls on your US number without paying for international roaming.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yup. With the old 3g, data worked on the other sim while first was in call. Progress...

At&t/Cingular never required a second SIM for simultaneous voice and data as far back as GSM or TDMA phones. Their phones had one radio for voice and a second one for data. Their GSM phones used the same SIM for simultaneous use of voice and data. I started working as a CS rep with them in 2001. Every phone I have ever used with them had the same capability.
    Last edited by Serial Port; 08-06-2022 at 02:08 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, Mobi, Boom
    Feedback Score
    Yup. With the old 3g, data worked on the other sim while first was in call. Progress...
    Without knowing model of old phone, I don't know whether it too had 2 radios.

I didn't have a phone that supported 2 SIMS until the iPhones included it. And they only have the one radio. Maybe if it it was an international model (likely, with 2 SIM cards), local demand led it to have 2 modems. Or maybe software to switch between the SIMs rapidly so you could still get data, while letting the voice continue.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ^^Who said anything about an old phone. Refer to post #10.

Anyway, it's not a big deal. The 2nd sim is freeup which I make a few calls periodically to keep it alive (in addition to logging into site monthly). Primary is cricket which has both data and voice. It is nice to have a device with dual sim capability.. Just in case.

Of course, for a proper burner device one needs both the phone and sim not be associated with you .

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, Mobi, Boom
    Feedback Score

At&t/Cingular never required a second SIM for simultaneous voice and data as far back as GSM or TDMA phones. Their phones had one radio for voice and a second one for data. Their GSM phones used the same SIM for simultaneous use of voice and data. I started working as a CS rep with them in 2001. Every phone I have ever used with them had the same capability.
    I don't think I ever had a 2G GSM phone with ATT that had a data plan, so I never experienced this. I had nokia bar phones. Then did Sprint for a year with my first smart phone (Treo). Then went with a 3G Treo on ATT.

Apparently the first iPhone, the GSM only model, didn't support simultaneous voice and data. Didn't have 2 cellular radios.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast