Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Old Tracfone activation kits: are they still valid?

Feedback Score

Old Tracfone activation kits: are they still valid?

I have a few Tracfone triple SIM BYOD activation kits.

Are they still usable?

Can AT&T or T-Mobile Tracfone SIM be activated today?
    Can VzW Tracfone SIM be activated today?

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Recently I gave away a few TMFL SIM kits bought in 2016 during the Family Dollar Bonanza. The recipients activated the AT&T and Verizon SIMs and they worked fine. Some got TMFL. My kits don't have the T-mo SIMs.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Since Verizon bought Tracfone, I know some people is having a hard time getting AT&T or T-Mobile based SIMs activated.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 G930T
    Carrier(s)
    TF/TMO
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    Since Verizon bought Tracfone, I know some people is having a hard time getting AT&T or T-Mobile based SIMs activated.
    While what you say is true, it is odd that as of today, you can still buy 1 year 1200,1200,3GB plans for both TMO & AT&T at the Tracfone Store on Ebay.

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    MAYBE TF is giving a hard time only to people who are in areas with TF/Verizon service.

Device(s)
    LG Aristo 2 Plus (T-Mo); Moto G Power 2020 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    This thing with TF deciding that you (any buyer or potential buyer of wireless service) have VZW signal adequate for your needs is such a paradigm shift. We're talking about mobile service, not fixed wireless service at your house. A large part of the decision to go with TF historically was that you could choose that underlying carrier based on what you had determined was your best bet for optimum coverage where your mobile self went. Granted, some uninformed people made the wrong decision (maybe started off with a T-Mobile SIM back in 2010 or whatever, before T-Mo built out a little better), but you could change and stay with the pricing or payment type that attracted you to TF in the first place. Obviously this model has no value to VZW, but having the whole operation run on the one mother network just makes it another one-trick-pony service. And that is a pretty big loss to the public. It doesn't make me feel good about Carlos Slim (that's a joke, son). Build it up and sell it off and let the chips fall where they may.

Feedback Score
    People should contact their political reps about Verizon
    Congress warned them in takeover hearings to not screw over customers
    Obviously that is exactly what they are doing
    All their services are a mess (especially the website)

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    MAYBE TF is giving a hard time only to people who are in areas with TF/Verizon service.
    I know what you are saying, but some people just does not understand that they are using one of the big three tower carriers. They think they are using Tracfone towers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Well known that Tracfone will say you have a certain service if there is an part of an area code that does. This may be based on the carrier's maps, which can't be trusted. In my area you don't have to go very far to lose service.

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto G6, Moto E5 Play, LG Classic Flip
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, FreeUp,Tello, T-Mo Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RFK View Post
    I have a few Tracfone triple SIM BYOD activation kits.

Are they still usable?

Can AT&T or T-Mobile Tracfone SIM be activated today?
    Can VzW Tracfone SIM be activated today?
    The only sure way to find out is to attempt to activate one.

Feedback Score
    ... some people just does not understand that they are using one of the big three tower carriers. They think they are using Tracfone towers.
    Very true.

This happened back when Tracfone was sending messages about the impending AT&T 3G shut-down to people who didn't have AT&T-whitelist-compatible phones.

I was trying to explain to someone that it was AT&T's fault, that AT&T had this crazy whitelist, etc.

And the person looked at me like I was crazy, and said, "But I am on Tracfone! Why are you telling me about AT&T?!"
    You can activate new service on Tracfone and get $80 by using my referral code (you get 8,000 rewards points - that's $80 in service or brand new phone!) You'll also get great karma! Not supposed to post referral codes out on the forum so please PM me for code. Thank you!

Feedback Score
    The older Tracfone never explained that they were an MVNO, never mentioned the actual carriers, and would not openly discuss it. You could discuss it with CS if you knew the score already. Maybe that was the deal with the carriers.

Even now, some MVNOs have to leave their affiliations off their websites. But you can find it out in five seconds if you are aware of the industry.

The Tracfone Facebook page was full of bitter complaints about the service. It was obvious that people had no idea. They would blame the Tracfone towers for the problems. Never mind that they likely had inappropriate service for where they lived. Target would sell Tracfone handsets with ATT, TMO, and VZW service all on the same display. But it wasn't obvious until you needed CS for some reason. That might have made the confusion worse if you had trouble understanding it.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone ATT GSM
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PL1 View Post
    While what you say is true, it is odd that as of today, you can still buy 1 year 1200,1200,3GB plans for both TMO & AT&T at the Tracfone Store on Ebay.
    With an added charge of $12 for AT&T or TMO.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sillyette View Post
    I was trying to explain to someone that it was AT&T's fault, that AT&T had this crazy whitelist, etc.

And the person looked at me like I was crazy, and said, "But I am on Tracfone! Why are you telling me about AT&T?!"
    I gave up years ago trying to explain Tracfone to people who would ask. Especially the Paygo system if they had always been paying monthly.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    I gave up years ago trying to explain Tracfone to people who would ask.
    Me too. I can't believe how lost people are. One lady asked me to look at her phone cause she didn't know if
    was an Apple or Android phone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast