Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: FreedomPop "Walmart" Free Plan (300 min / 1000 texts / 100 MB for $0/month) - Info & Discussion

Feedback Score
    Slepy,

You were able to get this Walmart sim to work on a non VOLTE phone. For some of us that tried using it on a non VOLTE phone, just could not get data or 2g voice. Perhaps the sims are provisioned according to area codes.

Or perhaps you are using a Red Pocket sim and not Freedom Pop?

Sent from my SM-F916U1 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by munkala View Post
    Slepy,

You were able to get this Walmart sim to work on a non VOLTE phone. For some of us that tried using it on a non VOLTE phone, just could not get data or 2g voice. Perhaps the sims are provisioned according to area codes.

Or perhaps you are using a Red Pocket sim and not Freedom Pop?
    Are you sure that T-Mobile still has a workable 2G network in your location?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    Are you sure that T-Mobile still has a workable 2G network in your location?
    Now I remember correctly. Red Pocket GSMT sims would still accept non VOLTE phones. But the Walmart sim will not.

Sent from my SM-F916U1 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by munkala View Post
    Now I remember correctly. Red Pocket GSMT sims would still accept non VOLTE phones. But the Walmart sim will not.
    Good to know. I just setup a line with the Red Pocket SIM and it went smoothly. i haven't tried it on the 2G network yet, but I am curious and usually on the Android phones there's an option to select 2G only.

Feedback Score
    Has anyone locked the FreedomPop Walmart SIM card and what is the default PIN? I am thinking of doing it but a bit nervous because I have never locked a SIM card before. Thanks.

Device(s)
    Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    StraightTalk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slepy View Post
    Sony phone is not VoLTE capable on AT&T and T-Mobile, but using LTE data only works fine.
    Getting VoLTE and even WiFi Calling working on your Xperia X can be done. I have RP GSMA SIM still in my old Z5 Compact (1 generation older than yours) with 100% functional VoLTE, WiFi Calling, the whole enchilada. You need to bootloader unlock & root the phone, and it takes a little doing, but totally works. I have also gotten a Mint Mobile test-drive SIM working with both in the Z5c as well as in an XZs with both working VoLTE and WFC. ATT MVNO SIMs I have gotten working in Z5C, XZs, and also XZ1c, and also had Boom Red (VZ) with working VoLTE and WFC on XZ1c (though VZ and Boom both threw a huge fit about it...another story for another time...).

Now that I'm aware of this FP offer, considering ordering a RP GSMT SIM to activate on the service, because, well why not? Based on my Mint experience, 100% confident I can replicate on this service as well.

If you're the adventurous type & interested in trying it yourself, happy to try to help walk you through it...

Feedback Score

FreedomPop "Walmart" Free Plan (300 min / 1000 texts / 100 MB for $0/month) - Info & Discussion

I may have to give this a try.

Carrier(s)
    Twigby & Tello
    Feedback Score
    Red Pocket must have some kind of weird login glitch (at least when using Linux). Somehow I managed to order a SIM a couple weeks ago, but due to an error (probably my error), I ended up with a GMSA SIM instead of a GMST one. Oh well, chock it up to my stupidity and order another one... except I can't login. I didn't forget my password, but I've tried changing it several times. It let's me change the password (multiple times) but when I try to use the new passwords, I keep getting an "incorrect credential" error. So, tonight I tried to set up another account with a different email. No problem setting it up. No problem verifying the email address. Try to login... no chance. After about three times of entering the right user name and password, I get locked out of the login page. Maybe you have to use the Chrome browser? Once I get unlocked out again, I'll try using a Chromebook and see if that works. I'm half afraid that, even if I ever do get logged in enough to buy the SIM they'll never let me login again to activate it. (Sorry, just venting. Very frustrating... I've tried off and on for about a week now. I don't have these issues with anyone else.)

See following posts. My screw-up.
    Last edited by rcentros; 10-08-2022 at 12:24 AM.
    Pixel 2 on Twigby — Alcatel Go Flip 3 on Tello — AGM M7 on Hello Mobile — iPhone SE 1 on FreedomPop — TCL Flip 2 on Tracfone

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
    Red Pocket must have some kind of weird login glitch (at least when using Linux). Somehow I managed to order a SIM a couple weeks ago, but due to an error (probably my error), I ended up with a GMSA SIM instead of a GMST one. Oh well, chock it up to my stupidity and order another one... except I can't login. I didn't forget my password, but I've tried changing it several times. It let's me change the password (multiple times) but when I try to use the new passwords, I keep getting an "incorrect credential" error. So, tonight I tried to set up another account with a different email. No problem setting it up. No problem verifying the email address. Try to login... no chance. After about three times of entering the right user name and password, I get locked out of the login page. Maybe you have to use the Chrome browser? Once I get unlocked out again, I'll try using a Chromebook and see if that works. I'm half afraid that, even if I ever do get logged in enough to buy the SIM they'll never let me login again to activate it. (Sorry, just venting. Very frustrating... I've tried off and on for about a week now. I don't have these issues with anyone else.)
    Sounds really frustrating! A few things that I hope will help:

Maybe try ordering the SIM without setting up an account if it will let you do that?

When I signed up with Red Pocket, I remember I placed the order (it was for a monthly plan), and the system asked me to set up an account *only later*, when it came time to enter the shipping address for the SIM.

(The other thing I noticed with Red Pocket logins is that there's a captcha box, but it has never shown me an actual captcha. I always forget to check that captcha box and it makes me enter my login info again).

Oh, and with Unreal, the login wasn't the email address, it was the "username" - which was just the portion before the @.

Carrier(s)
    Twigby & Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sillyette View Post
    Sounds really frustrating! A few things that I hope will help:
    It's frustrating but it's probably self-inflicted. I just got off Chat with Red Pocket, apparently my user name was not the first part of my email address as I thought it was (why I have no clue). Now I know what my original user name is, unfortunately I couldn't remember the final password I had tried with that account, so I changed it (again) but, when I went back to login (after changing the password), I find I'm locked out again (support says for two hours). So at around 9:15 MST I guess I'll see if I can actually login now. I'll cross my fingers and hope.

Thanks for responding to my stupid (whiny) post.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone(Verizon) Tracfone (GSM) Walmart Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
    ...... Maybe you have to use the Chrome browser? .....
    Firefox worked for me about a month ago.

Carrier(s)
    Twigby & Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene44 View Post
    Firefox worked for me about a month ago.
    It worked in Firefox. Totally my fault. For some reason I didn't use the first part of my email address for my user name and decided to get "original" with Red Pocket. I guess that's why I was able to order the (wrong) SIM before. After my two hour lockout, I was able to log in and order a GMST SIM, so the FreedomPop test is back on. Mostly I want to know if Idaho charges any kind of tax for this, recurring or otherwise. Heaven knows I don't need another phone number.

Device(s)
    Samsung A53 5G. Samsung A03s
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I went to redpocket.com to purchase the $5 sim card and there's no continue to checkout. It wants me to setup an account first. Also strange the account page asks for phone number! I'm on my pc trying to order the sim and don't want to give out a phone number. Did you all give your phone number to them? Puzzling on that part.

EDIT: I finally got a $5 sim ordered. Ignore please.
    Last edited by Turtley; 10-12-2022 at 03:20 PM.
    Samsung A53 5G (Verizon)

Carrier(s)
    Twigby & Tello
    Feedback Score
    Activation was easy. No taxes or charges (at least not initially in Idaho). I was curious what other plans FreedomPop had and all they are pushing are AT&T plans? At first I thought it was $3 a month for their cheapest AT&T plan, but then realized that it was just for the first month, $15 a month afterwards. Apparently you get unlimited WiFi calling, even with the free plan?

Device(s)
    Xperia X, iPhone 7, iPhone SE2, Galaxy A51, LG Classic Flip
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Cricket, Tracfone (VZ), Tracfone (AT&T), FreedomPop (GSMT)
    Feedback Score
    I'm using the $5 RP GSMT SIM bought directly from Red Pocket's web site. Also, I can still see the 2G network where I am from the Network Selection menu.

I think sometimes I have difficulty getting registered on the network. It might be blocking non-VoLTE phones from connecting. I was just testing for fun. I don't really care about calls. Most important is data and second is text messages, which both work.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanA View Post
    Getting VoLTE and even WiFi Calling working on your Xperia X can be done.
    If you're the adventurous type & interested in trying it yourself, happy to try to help walk you through it...
    Thanks for the offer, but I'll just leave my Sony phone as is. I have other phones that are VoLTE capable, but are in use.

My Sony phone is my main International travel phone. It's world band, and worked fine overseas in the past. I dunno about the current VoLTE situation abroad now. Haven't been traveled internationally in three years.

I remember when I got the phone, checked the rooting discussions, but it affected the image processing/picture quality, so I decided not to mess with it since it's pretty much stock Android, with minimal bloat that's easily disabled. Was just testing on it because it's not being used at the moment. I might repurposed the SIM into another phone.

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast