Thread: Google voice no more call waiting/multiple channels

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Google voice no more call waiting/multiple channels

Up until recently (last few months?), I could receive another call while in a call.

That is, i'm on a call using my google voice number, either by calling someone or someone called me. Doesn't matter if it's a web call, on the cell phone, voip, etc. So long as the call is somehow associated with google voice, any subsequent inbound calls go to voice mail after the 30 seconds or so. Nothing rings on my end to indicate a second call is coming in.

I noticed this tonight when I was testing something with someone and asked them to dial my number. The other party kept saying its going to voice mail which seemed odd because in the past it would ring.

edit:

https://support.google.com/voice/thr...he-calls?hl=en

One of my devices was set to use mobile data rather than carrier data for calls. Seems you can't have one device set to use carrier and other mobile data. As soon as the mobile data one registers, it breaks the call waiting. When the one set for carrier calling reregisters, call waiting is re-enabled.

What [email protected]# Call waiting shouldn't be tied to this at all. I don't recall this behavior in the past.

Device(s)
    LG Aristo 2 Plus (T-Mo); Moto G Power 2020 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Google's explanation goes along with what I would've guessed. I only recently got more interested in receiving calls using the VoIP side of things, so most of my prior experience was over the carrier forwarding function.

Call forwarding is a function of the carrier, and a GV-forwarded call isn't treated any differently, even considering successive incoming calls to your GV number. I can remember being on a call received at home using my Obi device (and one of my house's wired phones), when lo and behold, my cell phone, set to receive calls via carrier, rang with an incoming call (made to my GV number). There was no call waiting indication (audible tone) on the phone used with the Obi, and at that time I started to understand (or develop the opinion) that the VoIP and VoLTE side of things operated a little differently from calls forwarded via carrier.

I don't think I've ever run across when I was on a VoIP GV call (using a cellular device) and may have had another call trying to come in, but I can see that, in principle, it just isn't a function or service provided by GV. I accept the explanation by the Google rep in the link you provided.

I wonder what the caller hears when they're trying you and your "line" is busy? A traditional busy signal?

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The explanation is a pile of horse manure.

Case and point, my primary config is using gv on my asterisk server. When the last registered android app has gv set to use carrier for calls, I have functional call waiting on the asterisk box. That is, I can make a call or be on a call, another comes in, the soft phone will alert letting me know who is calling and their number. First call can be put on hold while incoming one is answered. Traditional style call waiting working just fine on an entirely voip set up.

That is, voip/sip support call waiting just fine.

As for the caller, all they'll hear is ringing for 25 or 30 seconds until vm kicks in.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The plot thickens.... This affects obi users.

From the thread I made on dslr.
    ---
    Google voice no more call waiting BROKEN (on obi devices) Context: GV forwards to Callcentric

This is really messed. In testing i've discovered the following

Scenario 1)
    Call in progress which originated FROM the obi (outbound call made)
    Next incoming call goes to GOOGLE VOICE mail, not callcentric voice mail
    no call waiting signal, doesn't even show up in CC history.

Scenario 2)
    Call in progress which was an inbound call (someone call the gv #)
    Next incoming will trip the call waiting alert and allow you to switch

In the past, scenario 2 applied regardless where the call originated from.

How do I explain this an 80+ yr old.........

--------

I guess these as the 12/2023 changes google alluded to some months back. What year is it again?

Device(s)
    LG Aristo 2 Plus (T-Mo); Moto G Power 2020 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I can't quite wrap my head around the behavior of the combo of an incoming call to a GV number forwarded to a Call Centric number. Maybe in scenario 1 the CC setup needs to be configured to respond to incoming a few seconds sooner, to beat GV to the voicemail punch (if that's even possible). But this assumes GV is passing the call signaling normally. I know nothing about how the call waiting signal works.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here's the dslr thread.
    https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r33...on-obi-devices

RonR sent a private message with a scenario I hadn't considered. Eliminate callcentric entirely from the path.

In doing so, the call waiting does appear to work, but the benefits CC provides outweigh the malfunctioning CW. The house phone never rings for spam (once or twice a year maybe). Call logs reflect 5-10 (or more) spam calls a day. No way am i getting rid of it.

The whole purpose of CC in the beginning was to provide caller id name (CNAM) and not just the number or number/city state like GV does.

In scenario 1, it appears the call is never handed off to CC in any manner - gv goes to vm immediately. You hit on a good term - call signalling. They def changed something with respect to how calls are handled now vs some months ago when forwarded to another number.

For now, I recorded a greeting on the gv #. Something to the effect of ' you've reached 123-123-1234. A service outage is in progress. Please call at 987-654-3210 instead.' This repeats 8 times, almost 2 minutes worth. Should be good enough for now until I figure out something better or eliminate gv entirely.

The 987 # is the CC DID itself.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I did find a partial work around.

In the web version under calls is an option called custom calling rules. One can configure a single contact, multiple contacts, all contacts or anonymous for the filter.

For my purpose I chose all contacts with the forwarding destination as the CC DID. This takes care of the contacts but doesn't do anything for callers who are not contacts. For those, it still goes to vm immediately if an outbound call is already in progress.

It's my understanding the forwarding rules on the main page apply for undefined callers (noncontacts). But that doesn't seem to work when an outbound call is in progress and inbound calls are defined to forward to other numbers (not app, web, or obi device id).

If memory serves, this whole mess started when the legacy site got completely decommissioned.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Cancel that. The work around makes sense in theory but fails in execution.

Turns out gv is forwarding to the obi device, not the specified phone number (CC DID). If I uncheck the DID in both custom forwarding rules and on the main settings page, AND Always use my phone to place calls is enabled, an incoming call will still ring. In the obi call history, the call is coming in on the gv SPx. Based on settings, no call should be coming in.

I give up for now. I changed the gv greeting to reflect a service outage and to call the CC DID directly. It repeats 8 times for almost 2 minutes.