Thread: $100 a year unlimited w/1G data ? Anybody get it?

Device(s)
    One Plus One
    Carrier(s)
    H2O
    Feedback Score

Cool $100 a year unlimited w/1G data ? Anybody get it?

So, I had to buy a phone due to 3G shitdown. No thats not a type
    I mean, I did get the messages, but hey, as far as I knew my One Plus was 4G
    but fortunately I did end up determining I needed a new phone, and got
    a perfectly adequate and much faster MotoG Stylus 5G from Cricket for
    a fair price. Like $175 out the door including a months service.
    It was time, I'd been using the Oneplus One for dare I say, nearly 8 years. (Could it be?)
    Moto is much faster though screen is dim in bright sunlight, really the only bad thing I can say about it.
    and the screen is weak, mine cracked even though it's in a checkbook style case that covers the front and back.
    Not sure how that happened!!
    So it's been 6 months and I'm allowed to change carriers now, so thinking of going back to
    H2O as I had in the past.
    They're offering a 1 year unlimited plan with 1G a month of data for $100 bucks. Sounds like a "plan" he he.
    I don't use a lot of data, mostly wifi and even if I did they let buy 5G for like 10 bucks or something and it rolls over.
    AND I really miss the free occasional intl call. I ended up having to get an app for the Moto to call Canada over wifi, "Ring Britain" or some such nonsense, but actually you can call anywhere, and buy as little as $2 of time. Cricket doesn't allow any intl call without paying extra not even Canada.

What do you guys think, sounds like a good deal to me. Where I live I need to be on Verizon or ATT, so if you know of a better deal let me know! There some wierd language in the terms though. No caller id? See the bottom of the page.
    https://www.h2owireless.com/12-month-plan?_s=m

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info on the new plan. I have the $10/90 day plan currently with about $50 racked up on it, and it's fine for talk minutes but not data.

I'd like to try it, but after my other phone service expires. TF/VZ data doesn't work here (just talk and text), MMS messages are slug slime slow at sending. Usually have to resend or use Google Voice. AT&T and T-Mo work well here most of the time. H20 (AT&T) and Red Pocket (T-Mo).

I figure theres no conversion of the 90day/$10 balance to the $100 year's plan. But, I'd like to keep the associated number.

I guess it would mean "porting" the number to the new plan SIM, or would I just convert my current SIM/phone to the new plan?

Might involve customer service and it seems like they're short of CSRs right now. Probably better starting the plan with a new number & phone so it's easier to activate myself. I have several available unlocked Motorolas.

My TF service on 3 phones expire in December, January and March. Rather than paying to keep them active when the data is unusable much of the time, it seems the better option to let the service expire despite having so many minutes & texts per phone.

Unlimited talk&text plus 1gb/mo data on a better network would be a good trade for the lost TF minutes. Unless of course the plan doesn't turn out to be as good as it sounds, but it says additional data can be bought for 2 GB for $10 or 5GB for $20. Way cheaper than TF add on data.

I'm assuming that the plan won't require a debit or CC on file, can just do a one time payment the way I do now with Pinzoo/PayPal.

For people on TF AT&T SIMs the H20 $100 plan might be a solution for the day VZ shuts the AT&T SIMs down or tries to force them to a VZ SIM.

If by the time my TF service is going to expire, the H20 $100 plan is still available and seems solid, it looks like a good route out.

Sent from my LGL423DL using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Not sure what they mean by caller ID not being available. That's pretty standard on all cells now. Well, if the number is in the phone contact list it would show who's calling. I don't answer calls from strange numbers.

No roaming might affect people who use their phones in areas where they have to roam on other towers.

The plan may not be for everyone, but if it works for some, then it's worth trying for the price.

Terms Quote:
    Monthly plans expire 30 days after loaded to account. All plans shown offer 4G/5G data up to the amounts shown; after shown amounts used, customers will receive unlimited data at up to 128 kbps until expiration. "Unlimited" does not mean unreasonable commercial/monitoring/abusive use; see full terms on our website for all prohibited uses. Directory assistance, premium SMS, no answer/busy transfer, caller ID, caller ID block, & roaming not available. Unused accumulated data is forfeited if you switch between plans, terminate or fail to renew your plan before expiration.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    Not sure what they mean by caller ID not being available. That's pretty standard on all cells now. Well, if the number is in the phone contact list it would show who's calling. I don't answer calls from strange numbers.
    I may be wrong, but I wonder if this "caller id" they are referring to is the old caller id service that used to be on landline numbers.

If I recall correctly, you used to be able to get caller id on a landline and when someone called it would show their name as it was in the phonebook. There wasn't really an "contact list" on the caller id from which to tie a name to a number to.

But I think all modern systems just send the phone number of the number that is calling you - and then it's up to your phone to have a contact list that ties that number to a name or else it just displays the number. I'm guessing that H2O is simply saying they're not going to provide a caller ID service that automatically ties a number to a name... I don't think any cell phone carrier does that. (Prepaid numbers don't usually have a name associated with them anyway).

That's just my guess.

I'm guessing H2O still has the same caller id system that we all know and use.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by charlesfinley View Post
    I may be wrong, but I wonder if this "caller id" they are referring to is the old caller id service that used to be on landline numbers.

If I recall correctly, you used to be able to get caller id on a landline and when someone called it would show their name as it was in the phonebook. There wasn't really an "contact list" on the caller id from which to tie a name to a number to.

But I think all modern systems just send the phone number of the number that is calling you - and then it's up to your phone to have a contact list that ties that number to a name or else it just displays the number. I'm guessing that H2O is simply saying they're not going to provide a caller ID service that automatically ties a number to a name... I don't think any cell phone carrier does that. (Prepaid numbers don't usually have a name associated with them anyway).

That's just my guess.

I'm guessing H2O still has the same caller id system that we all know and use.
    I think you're probably right. I can't imagine a cell service not giving the # that's calling. I've never had caller ID that also provided the caller's name just the number.

H20 is based on AT&T and I would think the identification of the caller comes through them. But maybe that's not how it works with MVNOs. Maybe AT&T just provides the towers and not the underlying services like caller ID.

Feedback Score
    I've been reading about all the problems people have had with H2O, with service interruptions, service cutoffs, and then customer service being totally unreachable.

So when I saw this $100 promo, my thought was - OMG, why is the company wanting an influx of new customers when they can't keep or serve their current customers!!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sillyette View Post
    I've been reading about all the problems people have had with H2O, with service interruptions, service cutoffs, and then customer service being totally unreachable.

So when I saw this $100 promo, my thought was - OMG, why is the company wanting an influx of new customers when they can't keep or serve their current customers!!
    I'm going to wait about 6 months to see if the plan still exists and how H20 is doing. By then I'll have added $20 & 6 months more to my $10/90 day paygo plan and a balance of about $70. With a balance like that I don't need UTT but the add on data is cheap. If not for the data, the Red Pocket T-Mo $30/yr plan would be fine. I may stick with that when my Tracfones expire.

Sent from my moto e (XT2052DL) using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    H2O
    Feedback Score
    It's a cycle... CS is unresponsive, so I want to leave, but leaving requires a port out, and you can't port out without contacting CS.

I guess that's one way to retain customers.

I'm going to try to port out early next month to AT&T. Let's see what happens.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eggsalad View Post
    It's a cycle... CS is unresponsive, so I want to leave, but leaving requires a port out, and you can't port out without contacting CS.

I guess that's one way to retain customers.

I'm going to try to port out early next month to AT&T. Let's see what happens.
    That's a good reason to get a new number instead of porting, then use the number with Google Voice so people see the GV # no matter what number you get with a service provider.

Device(s)
    One Plus One
    Carrier(s)
    H2O
    Feedback Score
    I had H2O for years and no problems. But I did have the occasion to call CS a couple times prior to that, and yeah they are
    terrible. So as long as you don't have any problems....they are ok.
    No problem calling to get the port code.
    Try porting from straight talk. Spent the whole day in store trying to get that done.
    Store rep finally sent text to help or something like that and got the code,
    Straight talk reps useless!

Feedback Score
    I see all these horror stories about number porting with various different services. Yet, somehow I'm the bad guy for advocating that phone number ownership should be independent of your phone service carrier.