Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Samsung Galaxy A53 5G - info / discussion thread

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    When I get calls to my native cell number (which no one I know uses) I often look at the displayed number, see that I don't know it, and there's a caption that says "Suspected Spam Caller."
    On my unlocked Pixel 4a, when a call comes in I have an option to let Google screen the call by asking the caller why they were calling, and showing me a transcript of the answer. Then I can choose to answer or hang up. Most spam callers hang up after hearing the screening question from Google.
    Last edited by hpham; 07-23-2022 at 04:09 PM.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    On a TF-branded Samsung phone, the Google Phone app won't bring up the screen to enter the unlock codes.
    I know the Tracfone A10e does not work with the Google Phone app at all. I have tried to install that app to it.

Feedback Score
    On a TF-branded Samsung phone, the Google Phone app won't bring up the screen to enter the unlock codes.
    True but...the Samsung Dialer on my phone will not bring up the Service Menu but the Google Dialer will.

Device(s)
    LG Aristo 2 Plus (T-Mo); Moto G Power 2020 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I just looked at my Phone app, and there's a whole bunch of stuff in there, in the Settings area under Assistive. There is the Call Screen that hpham alluded to, as well as the Caller ID & Spam area. In the more general area there are options to block unknown callers (I assume those being ones not displaying via Caller ID). Pretty comprehensive in some respects.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a XL; Moto E4; LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    Google Voice; T-Mobile Postpaid Mobile Data; FreedomPop; FreeUp; Dent; 3UK
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by malet View Post
    Did you actually not have any of the phones, or was there a reason you wanted email instead?

Edit: also, were you logged in to your account?

Edit2: and, thanks so much for helping!
    I didn't have any of the currently active phones with me. Those are with my mom, dad, daughter. I use something different. I wasn't logged in. You're welcome.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I just unboxed a new A53 that I got with reward points.

It failed to power on. I plugged it into a charger and the battery level appears to have dropped to zero.

This seems unusual for a Li-ion battery. It's charging up now (currently at 5%). Should I be concerned about the battery health? What is Tracfone's return/warranty policy?

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PHL1365 View Post
    What is Tracfone's return/warranty policy?
    1 yr for a brand-new phone and 90 days for a refurbished phone.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    1 yr for a brand-new phone and 90 days for a refurbished phone.
    Thanks. I guess I'll install a battery health checker and see how it does.

On a side note, I'm trying to activate the phone and the TF website is saying that my PIN is not valid.

Are the basic airtime cards no longer being accepted for activating smartphones?

This is a $9.99 card that I purchased from ebay. I bought it earlier this morning, but did not receive the delivery email for 4 hours. I went to ebay.tracfone.com and got my PIN using my ebay order number. The screen says that the PIN status is "Ready to Use".

EDIT: It seems like I may be able to activate it without being logged into my account, but I'm not sure if it will be done properly. The IMEI seems correct.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PHL1365 View Post
    I just unboxed a new A53 that I got with reward points.

It failed to power on. I plugged it into a charger and the battery level appears to have dropped to zero.

This seems unusual for a Li-ion battery. It's charging up now (currently at 5%). Should I be concerned about the battery health? What is Tracfone's return/warranty policy?
    It's not really zero. It keeps some in reserve.

I once bought a phone that was like that. It took a long time to charge back up, but it was fine.

Feedback Score
    I’ve been looking at the a53 for when I have enough reward points to buy. I like that it is 5g. I don’t need 5g currently, but feel that this functionality will become more important over time. However, it doesn’t have an eSim.

I got an iPhone 11 earlier this year with points. It is a good phone but I’m not crazy about iPhones. One thing that I really like with the iPhone is that once it was unlocked I can use the eSim. Currently, it has a Tracfone physical sim and a T-Mobile eSim (the 3 month free trial offer). Unfortunately, the a53 doesn’t have an eSim.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by happygrrl1 View Post
    I’ve been looking at the a53 for when I have enough reward points to buy. I like that it is 5g. I don’t need 5g currently, but feel that this functionality will become more important over time. However, it doesn’t have an eSim.

I got an iPhone 11 earlier this year with points. It is a good phone but I’m not crazy about iPhones. One thing that I really like with the iPhone is that once it was unlocked I can use the eSim. Currently, it has a Tracfone physical sim and a T-Mobile eSim (the 3 month free trial offer). Unfortunately, the a53 doesn’t have an eSim.
    Right now, 5G is just for data. Calls still go over VoLTE. In the future, calls will go over 5G VoNR but VoLTE will be around for a while.

eSIM functionality is definitely good to have, I’ve been using dual SIMs since the iPhone XR. I do prefer having a completely separate work phone though. That way I’m not connected to work off the clock and I won’t accidentally call or text anyone from my personal #.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Castrol EDGE 0W-20 is my drug of choice.

Primary: iPhone 13 Pro (T-Mobile & AT&T); Galaxy Z Flip4 (Verizon)
    Mobile Broadband: Franklin T10 LTE hotspot (5GB for $8.50) / iPad mini 6 5G (unlimited 5G data)

Device(s)
    Samsung A53 5G. Samsung A03s
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    @YaWho or anyone else who has the Samsung A53 5G.
    How are you liking the phone now that you've had it a few months.

I'm thinking of getting one pretty soon.
    Samsung A53 5G (Verizon)

Feedback Score
    I find that the camera isn't quite as good as I thought, and it's not quite as snappy as I expected. Those are kind of vague impressions, I wish I could put my finger on it more accurately.

Sent from my Z6530V using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Samsung A53 5G. Samsung A03s
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cwshop View Post
    I find that the camera isn't quite as good as I thought, and it's not quite as snappy as I expected. Those are kind of vague impressions, I wish I could put my finger on it more accurately.

Sent from my Z6530V using Tapatalk
    I don't know if it's true but I have read a couple of reports that the phones sluggish is helped after updates. Thanks for the info!

Device(s)
    iPhone SE 2022, Samsung A53 5G, Pixel 6a, Samsung A51
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Got this phone the other day.

Noticed when booting it up that the name of the phone (Samsung Galaxy A53 5G) is not displayed like it is on my other Samsungs (A51 etc).

Attachment 172688

Seems Samsung has recently ended the practice with newer models:

https://r2.community.samsung.com/t5/.../td-p/11103739

Still figuring out how I feel about the phone.

Indoor pics wise, the A53 5G camera takes sharper more detailed pics than the A51 but the pictures are a little darker with somewhat muted colors and a kind of very slight blue cast (sometimes orange depending on lighting) over it. Doesn't seem to matter how settings are set. My A51 and SE 3 agree a little more in terms of the color science and brightness overall. The A53 is different.

Outdoor pics look ok for the most part.

Edited: I took it outside for some early morning lowlight outdoor pics and they looked fine. When I brought the phone back in and took some more low light indoor shots... the pic quality now looks signficantly improved. Brighter with more reaslistic colors (no night mode). Strange. Did I just have to break it in or something like a pair of shoes?

So I guess the camera is ok (a little oversaturated with good light). A lot sharper than the A51.

Regarding performance... it seems fine. I turned off the default 120 Hz screen refresh rate in Settings/Display/Motion Smoothness putting it on 60 Hz for better battery life and maybe with it set like that it also helps the phone run a little smoother. Less taxing on the Exynos 1280 Processor.

Has pretty good speakers and sound. Battery seems alright.

I was thinking about getting an S22 with a Fi deal but I think I'm going to check it out in person first to see how the camera is.
    May look at some Pixels too. I wish there were more smaller phones.
    Last edited by tomseys; 11-12-2022 at 08:58 AM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast