Thread: Unblocking or blocking SMS may change Balance Expiration date to (date of feature update + 3 months)

Feedback Score

Unblocking or blocking SMS may change Balance Expiration date to (date of feature update + 3 months)

The new platform/website has: MY T-MOBILE > My Profile > Blocking controls

However, beware that:

If you encounter this bug when you have:
    • More than 3 months remaining, you can get your Balance Expiration date fixed by chatting with T-Force (who will escalate a ticket). If you do not want to bother getting it fixed, you can "Add to balance" ($1 + taxes/fees), which should add another year.
    • Less than 3 months remaining, you are likely to extend your expiration date.

If you do this, after clicking on Save, under "See activity log", there should be an "Order placed" entry. Usually 15 to 30 minutes later (can take even longer), there should be three "Feature updated" entries. To see your actual resulting Balance Expiration date, do not just click on T-Mobile in the top left corner. Instead, refresh page or log back in.

I documented this bug in: https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...8#post17201758

However, I now believe this is a separate bug that is still ongoing.

Around the beginning of 2022, some people's expiration dates were only extended by 3 months after adding to balance. I believe that bug was fixed because I have not seen additional reports.

This bug also should NOT have anything to do with paying $1 (or a greater amount). On the new platform/website, $1 is $10 of the old. The amount of payment should not affect this bug.

My own experience:
    • In 12/2020, I added $10 for lineA.
    • In 7/2021, I added $10 for lineB.
    • In 8/2021, lineA was moved to the new platform, and the Balance Expiration date was correct. I blocked SMS. The next day I contacted T-Mobile to have the expiration date fixed, still not realizing the cause.
      https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...0#post17186970
    • In 9/2021, lineB was moved to the new platform, and I went through the same as lineA.
      https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...6#post17188506
    • Only for lineB, Prepaid customer service at 1-877-778-2106 (I did not know about T-Force at the time) fixed the expiration date to 7/10/2022 by adding $10 to balance. For lineA, I believe Prepaid customer service created an "engineering" ticket (which was different from the type of ticket that T-Force escalated).
    • In 12/2021, I added $1 for lineA (and gained one year).
    • In 1/2022, I unblocked SMS for lineA, and the Balance Expiration date became that date + 3 months (in 4/2022). That was when I finally realized the cause.
      https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...4#post17213204
    • Today 7/3/2022, I unblocked/blocked SMS for lineB, and the Balance Expiration date became 10/3/2022.

So, this bug is still ongoing. Adding $1 (or a greater amount) should still add another year. This bug is not caused by adding $1 (instead of $10) at an earlier time (lineB had $10 added in 7/2021 and 9/2021, and the bug still happened afterward each time).

(By the way, I took advantage of this bug to extend my actual expiration date of 7/10/22 to give T-Mobile more time to fix yet another bug. The yet another bug is that the website now wants to charge me $7.24 in taxes/fees for adding $1, and it still is not fixed after T-Force escalated a ticket more than a week ago. I am in Colorado, and the website was correct around March or April when I checked the 2022-updated taxes/fees, and in 12/2021 when I paid.)
    Last edited by andyk88; 07-03-2022 at 09:19 PM.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6233
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by andyk88 View Post
    The new platform/website has: MY T-MOBILE > My Profile > Blocking controls

This bug also should NOT have anything to do with paying $1 (or a greater amount). On the new platform/website, $1 is $10 of the old. The amount of payment should not affect this bug.

So, this bug is still ongoing. Adding $1 (or a greater amount) should still add another year. This bug is not caused by adding $1 (instead of $10) at an earlier time (lineB had $10 added in 7/2021 and 9/2021, and the bug still happened afterward each time).

(By the way, I took advantage of this bug to extend my actual expiration date of 7/10/22 to give T-Mobile more time to fix yet another bug. The yet another bug is that the website now wants to charge me $7.24 in taxes/fees for adding $1, and it still is not fixed after T-Force escalated a ticket more than a week ago. I am in Colorado, and the website was correct around March or April when I checked the 2022-updated taxes/fees, and in 12/2021 when I paid.)

isn't the bug a good thing? I mean having the system extending the the account by 3 months w/o having to add $1 is a good thing right?

As a matter of fact, my Tmo Gold is due to expire tomorrow. If I add $1 +tax ($2.33 at checkout), it will become 7/5/23, for just $2.33 and later on I can use the block sms bug to extend another 3 months for free?

this is good for me as I've been just accumulating mins $10 at a time on the gold plan since 2009 after the initial $100 back in 2008, so a $9 savings vs Callingmart points to recharge in the past is better IMHO

Feedback Score
    It can only extend if you have less than 3 months remaining. Otherwise, you lose time.
    On average, all the Legacy Pay As You Go plans have 6 months remaining. If everyone does this, on average everyone loses 3 months.

Does the "feature" also work for you? You have nothing to lose giving it a try before paying. Do NOT try it after paying your $2.33.

Even if it "works", you'd need to do it every 3 months. Or just pay $2.33 in your case and not worry about it for another year.

What if you actually want to update a feature when you have more than 3 months remaining.

Also, what if T-Mobile decides to recompute expiration dates from the last refill.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6233
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It can only extend if you have less than 3 months remaining.
    Does the "feature" also work for you? You have nothing to lose giving it a try before paying. Do NOT try it after paying your $2.33.

Also, what if T-Mobile decides to recompute expiration dates from the last refill.
    thanks for the clarifications. so it seems I am better off just extending with the $2.33. If I try the 3 month SMS bug and t-mo decides to recompute in the next 3months, they may expire my account without me knowing. so, given it's a rarely used phone, I may lose the entire balance unless I check the account daily for the next 3months. if my assumption is correct, I am better with $2.33 than the 3month SMS bug

Feedback Score
    Hence it's a bug, not a feature.

Sorry, it's too late for me to go back to edit this to clarify:

If you encounter this bug when you have:
    • More than 3 months remaining, [you are likely to lose time. But] you can get your Balance Expiration date fixed by chatting with T-Force (who will escalate a ticket). If you do not want to bother getting it fixed, you can "Add to balance" ($1 + taxes/fees), which should add another year.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6233
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Hence it's a bug, not a feature.
    Ok. makes a little more sense now. guess that's why you stated in bold, "Do NOT try it after paying your $2.33.".

However, if I try the bug first AND then add the $2.33 after, one would expect that the worst that can happen is it reverts to the original expiration of 7/5/23 from adding the $2.33 instead of 10/5/23 with the bug AND the $2.33. which is why you said it doesn't hurt to try, since if t-mo recomputes after fixing the bug, it would still be computed to 7/5/23. Correct? Just doublechecking my understanding is correct before I proceed or you have further insight to my approach.

Feedback Score
    If this "feature" works for you, after doing the blocking/unblocking today 7/4/2022 just for fun, your expiration date should become 10/4/2022.

Suppose you then add $2.33 tomorrow 7/5/2022, your expiration date should become 7/5/2023.

If T-Mobile recomputes from your last refill date (of 7/5/2022), your expiration date should still be 7/5/2023.
    (If/when T-Mobile fixes the bug, I doubt T-Mobile is going back to recompute the expiration dates of all the accounts. It's just that there is no guarantee T-Mobile won't do it.)

If you try this "feature" out right after adding $2.33 tomorrow 7/5/2022, your expiration date of 7/5/2023 is likely to become 10/5/2022.

It's not the end of the world as you simply lose 9 months. It's just whether you then want to contact T-Mobile to get it fixed, or pay another $2.33 in 3 months.

(By the way, it's probably not necessary, but I usually pay the day before the expiration date. For example, if the website shows Balance Expiration of 10/5/2022, I would pay on 10/4/2022.
    https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...6#post17197666)

Device(s)
    Nokia 6233
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    If this "feature" works for you, after doing the blocking/unblocking today 7/4/2022 just for fun, your expiration date should become 10/4/2022.

Suppose you then add $2.33 tomorrow 7/5/2022, your expiration date should become 7/5/2023.
    Ok. that clarifies that it's not worth the trouble since the end result will still be 7/5/23 with a SMS block AND $2.33 "refil"

(By the way, it's probably not necessary, but I usually pay the day before the expiration date. For example, if the website shows Balance Expiration of 10/5/2022, I would pay on 10/4/2022.
    https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...6#post17197666)
    I always assumed the balance expires at 12:01am in the new system and since my account page shows:

Your prepaid service will be used first.

Balance Expiration 07/06/2022

Gold Rewards Active

I thought I had until 11:59pm 7/5/22 to refill unless Balance Expiration 7/6/22 really means 7/6/22 11:59pm and not 7/6/22 12:01am

Device(s)
    LG Aristo 2 Plus (T-Mo); Moto G Power 2020 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Yes, this is a perennial question now, for some few years.

It used to be that the website displayed a date and a time, which for me was usually 9 pm and I would refill sometime before that during that day. But two or so website changes ago they dropped the time spec, and nothing was ever clearly specified. Ever since then I've played it safe and apply funds the day before the given date. If I had concrete info that convinced me I could go later, I would.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6233
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Here is my data point:

Based on andyk88's post above, i experimented with activating a blocking feature on my account. since I actually do need to send sms from time to time, I did not play with that Block SMS feature for fear of encountering the 3month bug if I needed to reactivate it to use it. Instead, I checked the "Block all international voice and text except for whitelisted activity" at 11:30pm local time. I then logged out, logged back in and saw confirmation of Feature Updated and Order Placed for The Block International Roaming Enabled updated.

Waited a few hours for the date to extend for 3months as reported above that it "may happen" but that never happened. Perhaps they've fixed the bug or it doesn't apply to '"Block all international voice and text except for whitelisted activity" So, this morning I refilled for $1 +tax and the new expiration date on the dashboard shows:

Your prepaid service will be used first.

Balance Expiration 07/06/2023

Gold Rewards Active

Therefore, I can confirm that under the new system you should have until 9pm local time of the expirations date to extend it by another 365 days. Although I refilled at 7am, I have no reason to think it can't be refilled later in the day up until midnight but didn't want to push the envelope anymore than I already have and then spend hour(s) with 611 to explain and correct things.

Like you, given the 9pm time on the dashboard in the old system, I always renewed prior to that and lost 1 day each year for 12 years. 12 days is not a big deal but at least now I am sure I can get 365 days by renewing on the expiration date. UNLESS they change the system again.

Given that I've transitioned to Tracfone for the past 2 years, $1+tax is still an $8 savings over Callingmart Refills and if $1 +tax is the new minimum, works for me to keep this legacy Gold active at an average of 6c/min since inception.

Hope this helps clarify for anyone wanting to get that extra day going forward.

Feedback Score
    What is the "new platform"?
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

My plans:
    Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.03.23

Device(s)
    Nokia 6233
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    people have referred to it as the new Rebellion system where it no longer has the time of expiration of 9pm on the dashboard. (transitioned sometime around 2019)

Feedback Score
    So, this bug is still ongoing. Adding $1 (or a greater amount) should still add another year......
    That is a great "bug'!

With AT&T-Prepaid, adding $1 adds only one month.

I have the task of keeping an elderly couple's AT&TPrepaid balance alive by adding this $1 amount each month. It can only be done by calling their 800 number, not online. Each month, I ask the CSR, in my most pleading voice to extend the date by 1 year, and each time the CSR tells me "no". Oh well, I try.
    You can activate new service on Tracfone and get $80 by using my referral code (you get 8,000 rewards points - that's $80 in service or brand new phone!) You'll also get great karma! Not supposed to post referral codes out on the forum so please PM me for code. Thank you!