Thread: Does my Moto E6 do VoLTE?

Feedback Score

Does my Moto E6 do VoLTE?

I got this text msg from Tello today:

Tello: You need to turn ON VoLTE in your device settings to avoid service loss after June 30, 2022. Check our tello.com Help Center and Blog for more details.

I can find nothing in settings about VoLTE or Enhanced calling or HD voice or Voice over LTE.

I do see in Phone Info that VoLTE is provisioned.

They also say I can test the phone. Turn off WiFi calling and make a call. The LTE at the top of the screen should change from LTE to VoLTE or HD calling if I have VoLTE. It should change to 3G if I don't. Nope, it says LTE at all times.

I have a similar phone on Ting that behaves the same as this one.

Any ideas?

Another question. If the phone doesn't do VoLTE will it still do text msgs?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MiFi_online View Post
    If the phone doesn't do VoLTE will it still do text msgs?
    Yes, even without VOLTE (Voice Over LTE). Some older phones have LTE for data and may not support VOLTE.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    S22+/A51/A71 5G, Pixel 6a/4a5G, Moto G7 Power/Z3 Play/One 5G Ace
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    I have a Moto E6. It does have VoLTE with T-Mobile (which Tello uses). I don't think the display changes from LTE when VoLTE is in use, with T-Mobile MVNOs.

I don't have it handy right now, to see where the VoLTE toggle is, but it probably came with that switched on, already.

I think that Tello message did not target you specifically, but was sent to all users just to make sure that they were not still using 3G (HSPA).

Feedback Score
    I tend to agree with mframe about the text likely being sent to all users. I had an E6 on US Mobile (T-Mobile). Unlike when I used it on Verizon there is no VoLTE toggle in settings with T-Mobile but VoLTE is enabled in the hidden menu and shows as VoLTE enabled in my Network Cell Info app.
    None of my Motos ever display LTE unless I have data on, which I don't keep on. Nor HD. Thats bad info. Data is not required for VoLTE.
    The E6 is a VoLTE phone, with T-Mobile it's just there with activation no special turn on required. At least that's my experience. I wouldn't worry.

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys. I was guessing the phone was doing VoLTE. It just doesn't make a big deal of it.

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys. I was guessing the phone was doing VoLTE. It just doesn't make a big deal of it.
    I have a Moto E6 using T-Mobile via Tracfone. It does VoLTE.

You can check if it it provisioned by dialing *#*#4636#*#* to get the test menu. Touch Phone information and the VoLTE status will be displayed there (along with other info). Scroll down and there is a slide switch to turn it on and off.

I have never seen VoLTE displayed anywhere during a call. "HD" is displayed on the screen during a call just to the left of the call duration time.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    I have a Moto E6 using T-Mobile via Tracfone. It does VoLTE.

You can check if it it provisioned by dialing *#*#4636#*#* to get the test menu. Touch Phone information and the VoLTE status will be displayed there (along with other info). Scroll down and there is a slide switch to turn it on and off.

I have never seen VoLTE displayed anywhere during a call. "HD" is displayed on the screen during a call just to the left of the call duration time.
    I noticed VoLTE was provisioned in the "Phone info" page and mentioned it in my first post. That doesn't necessarily enable VoLTE. I do not see HD during a call nor do I see the call duration.

I got another text from Tello today. This time it mentioned the APN instructions. It seems I need to make a simple entry for ims, or possibly not.

https://blog.tello.com/news/3g-shutd...android-volte/

This blog suggests the APN might have one entry and looks like this:

T-Mobile US LTE
    fast t-mobile.com

And says I should add an ims entry.

My APN has one entry and it looks like this:

T-Mobile US
    fast t-mobile.com

Notice there is no LTE.

I tried adding the ims entry anyway. I typed in the few entries according to the blog. I then hit the menu thing and hit save, and it said it was saved. When I went back to the APN page, the ims was not there. Only the original "T-Mobile US" was there. I tried twice with the same result.

The blog says if the "T-Mobile US LTE" is not there, it gives directions for how to create it.

I could try that, but first, I have another idea. I have a spare Moto E6. I'd like to see what it's APN looks like. The button to get there is grayed out. No doubt because there is no SIM in the phone. I guess I could move the SIM from this phone to the spare one to check it out. Does that seem like a good idea?

Feedback Score
    I noticed VoLTE was provisioned in the "Phone info" page and mentioned it in my first post. That doesn't necessarily enable VoLTE. I do not see HD during a call nor do I see the call duration.
    If you see "Voice Network Type: LTE" in the Phone Info menu, it should be OK. Also if the LTE icon in the Status Bar is visible during a call. You will not get HD Voice with all calls, landlines and VoIP systems for instance. Not sure why you don't see the counter in the dialer during calls.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    ...Not sure why you don't see the counter in the dialer during calls.
    Don't have mine active right now, but if I recall the latest version of the naive Google Phone app doesn't have the counter. Nor does call history show the length of the call. I noticed that and so haven't updated my other phones (E4's) to the latest version. I use paygo on PP and like to keep tabs of my minutes.

Feedback Score
    I've added another APN as per the Tello blog. Actually 2 counting the ime thing. I now see the HD and call elapsed time. Maybe it was there before but I was looking in the wrong place. I was looking at the top line on the screen where LTE appears. Top top line still says LTE.

I looked at the APNs on my Ting phone. It had the same old APN my phone has but it wasn't selected. It had a second APN called Ting data that was selected. On the APNs screen underneath that APN name in smaller letters, it said wholesale.

That convinced me I needed to add the APN from the Tello blog. Now "wholesale" also appears under the new APN I put on my Tello phone.

Here is my shiny new APNs page.

Name:  APNs.png
Views: 83
Size:  9.8 KB

Device(s)
    S22+/A51/A71 5G, Pixel 6a/4a5G, Moto G7 Power/Z3 Play/One 5G Ace
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    The blog says the APN is ims, not ime.

Feedback Score
    Thanks. I'll fix it.