Thread: Samsung Galaxy A02 vs A02s

Feedback Score

Samsung Galaxy A02 vs A02s

I've see various comparisons of these phones on myriad phone comparison sites, but I wonder if anyone could lend some insight into the practical difference in user experience.

A02s is a better phone, but how much better? It has an octacore processor, whereas A02 has a quadcore. How much difference does that make?

I've seen conflicting reports on whether the A02s actually has 3 GB ram, or only 2 GB, like the A02. Not sure which is true.

A02s has USB type C, but that's not really so important.

What are appropriate prices for each variant, especially the A02? Other thoughts?

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm assuming you're asking about the TF version of those phones. I don't have either one, but I did some research to answer your questions. I used info on gsmarena.com, amazon, and some reviews of the TF version. Here's what I found:
    Samsung A02 vs A02s vs A03s

* It appears that the TF version of the A02 and A02s both have 2GB of RAM.
    * It appears that the TF version of the A03s have 3GB of RAM.
    * The A03s has better benchmark scores than the A02s. Scores for the A02 are not available.
    * The A02s is $69.99 on TF web site while the A03s is $59.99. Both are brand-new.
    * All 3 phones are similar in physical size, and have identical screen size and resolution.

Given the facts that the A03s is newer, has 3GB RAM, octacore processors, better benchmark scores, USB-C port, and costs less than the A02s, I'd buy the A03s.

Feedback Score
    hpham, thank you for taking the time to help me figure this out. It is appreciated.

Feedback Score
    This article claims that the A03s recently (yesterday) received Android 12 supplied by Verizon:

https://www.rprna.com/updates/verizo...ate-in-the-us/

I've seen indications that the A02s is currently receiving Android 12 as well, but not necessarily in the US just yet. Herein lies my question:

Question: Does anyone here own the A02s on Tracfone? If so, has it received Android 12 yet? If not yet, when? Whose servers supply it: Version's or Samsung's?

Thanks for your assistance.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mobile_nut View Post
    This article claims that the A03s recently (yesterday) received Android 12 supplied by Verizon:

https://www.rprna.com/updates/verizo...ate-in-the-us/

I've seen indications that the A02s is currently receiving Android 12 as well, but not necessarily in the US just yet. Herein lies my question:

Question: Does anyone here own the A02s on Tracfone? If so, has it received Android 12 yet? If not yet, when? Whose servers supply it: Version's or Samsung's?

Thanks for your assistance.
    I do not see info about the A02s getting Android 12 yet: https://doc.samsungmobile.com/SM-S124DL/TFN/doc.html

It is the same for the A03s: https://doc.samsungmobile.com/SM-S134DL/TFN/doc.html

Those links are for the Tracfone models.

Feedback Score
    Thanks advcomp2019. I was not aware of those links. Are they always up to date, regarding the reporting of updates available to the indicated phones?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    They should be up to date since Samsung updates to those pages. They might be a day or two off tho.

If you know the model number and CSC/region code, you can look at any of the models.

The older phones might not have pages like that, and same with some of the AT&T phones.

Feedback Score
    I doubt the a02s will ever receive Android 12. The phone is just too painfully slow and is priced too cheap for them to waste any time on.

Sent from my SM-F916U1 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    i have not used the tracfone version's but the Metro and Boost a02s are terrible performing devices. customers would regularly come into the stores thinking they got a defective device and it was just that the phone had so much lag in everything with even just a few app updates pending. a03s is not great but better. overall i rate these device as crap compared to say a Moto G Play or Moto G Pure or the inexpensive TCL or Nokia devices.

an a12 or a13 although they look similar to a02 and a03 are far more capable devices and actually quite decent for the prices.

Feedback Score
    advcomp2019:

If a new phone is purchased, does it have to download and install ALL the listed updates sequentially, or just the latest one (particularly if the latest one is labeled Android 12, and updates the phone to Version 4.1 of Samsung's interface)?

Are these downloaded directly from Samsung, such that the phone doesn't even have to be activated to receive update (and no account login required)?

munkala:

I'm surprised to see that you doubt Android 12 will be received. There are plenty of articles indicating to the contrary. Are they wrong?

robbyrobby:

What do you mean by "the phone had so much lag in everything with even just a few app updates pending"? What do pending updates have to do with phone speed? Do you mean that pending updates slow the phone (i.e., downloaded but not yet installed), or that the phone will have less lag once its updated to the latest software?

Others:
    Any thoughts as to whether Android 12 is on its way for the A02s? Does the phone update itself without having to create an account of any sort?

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Most current phones sold by TF go to their manufacturer's (Moto, Samsung) server to download updates. The phone doesn't have to be active, and no account with the manufacturer needed. I never created account with Moto or Samsung and my phones got the updates just fine.

From what I've read, phones sold by AT&T (and maybe other carriers too) still have to wait for the carriers to release the updates.

Based on my knowledge from working with system software, some updates are incremental which require the phone to be at the previous update level, some are complete updates which don't require the previous level.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    That phone should update without any accounts or even cell activation.

No one really knows if or when a company will ship out an update.

I just checked the non-Tracfone version of these phones. I do see that the A03s on firmware sites have a Android 12, but not the A02s.

I do not see the update on the Samsung Changelog on the site for the A03s yet.