Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Activate Total Wireless Phone on Tracfone Service

Feedback Score

Activate Total Wireless Phone on Tracfone Service

I'm aware that some individuals have previously activated TW phones on TF. However, I'd like to verify that this functionality is still working. Has anyone done this recently? I do not wish to purchase as TW phone only to fail activating it on TF.

Thank you.

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I think member Brian VT activated a TW refurb iPhone 11 on TF last week. If you ask the rep to rebrand the phone as TF, unlocking will be more assured.

Carrier(s)
    TracFone on VZW
    Feedback Score
    hpham is correct. No issues at all.
    I had it rebranded from TW to TF via Chat. The agent offered to activate the phone at the same time but I elected to do that at a later date.
    I'm told that you don't need to rebrand it from TW to TF for it to work on TF but I only use TF so I had mine rebranded.
    You may even be able to just drop your current SIM card in the new phone and have it work with no contact with TF?

My activation involved transferring service from my BYOP TF/ATT SIM card to a BYOP TF/VZW SIM card (not the promotional one they are giving out). That went fine also. It took a bit longer than "normal" for my new service to start working due to the towers switch but everything was working great within a couple hours.
    iPhone 11 on Tracfone/VZW.
    I hate Apple. (I really miss Android)

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a XL; Moto E4; LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    Google Voice; T-Mobile Postpaid Mobile Data; FreedomPop; FreeUp; Dent; 3UK
    Feedback Score
    I'm pretty sure if you use the Vzw SIM card that comes in a TW (or any TF-owned MVNO) phone when activating on TF, unlocking will happen in 60 days.

Carrier(s)
    TracFone on VZW
    Feedback Score
    I did not use the TW SIM card that came with the phone. (so I forfeited the 1 month TW service that I had to buy with the phone)
    But I'm under the impression (from what I've read somewhere in here) that my phone will still get unlocked 60 days after I activated it with TF.
    Not that it really matters to me.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian VT View Post
    You may even be able to just drop your current SIM card in the new phone and have it work with no contact with TF?
    Not a good idea if the OP's current SIM is a TF/Verizon SIM which is paired to an IMEI. Also, SIM swapping probably won't show the new TW phone's IMEI as being activated and it won't get unlocked after 60 days.

Carrier(s)
    TracFone on VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Not a good idea if the OP's current SIM is a TF/Verizon SIM which is paired to an IMEI. Also, SIM swapping probably won't show the new TW phone's IMEI as being activated and it won't get unlocked after 60 days.
    Very good points. And good advice.
    But it might work. I used to swap my TF/VZW SIM card from one iPhone to another when I got a new one or had to use my backup one.
    I preferred that over having TF mess with my account.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a XL; Moto E4; LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    Google Voice; T-Mobile Postpaid Mobile Data; FreedomPop; FreeUp; Dent; 3UK
    Feedback Score
    I did not use the TW SIM card that came with the phone. (so I forfeited the 1 month TW service that I had to buy with the phone)
    But I'm under the impression (from what I've read somewhere in here) that my phone will still get unlocked 60 days after I activated it with TF.
    Not that it really matters to me.
    Perhaps THAT'S where rebranding would come into play, IF you don't want to use the SIM card that came in the phone, and IF you want to get it unlocked in 60 days?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    The 1-month TW service is forfeited whether you use the original TW SIM or a TF SIM, because airtime for TW doesn't work on TF.

Carrier(s)
    TracFone on VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    The 1-month TW service is forfeited whether you use the original TW SIM or a TF SIM, because airtime for TW doesn't work on TF.
    Right. I knew that but had to buy the 1-month TW service to get the deal on the phone. I threw it away.
    And I used a TF BYOP SIM card to avoid any confusion or problems that trying to use a TW SIM card for TF might cause.

Feedback Score
    Thanks everyone. Sounds like "buy with confidence," as they say.

Carrier(s)
    TracFone on VZW
    Feedback Score
    ...if the phone you want is in stock.
    To get the my refurb. iPhone 11 deal I had to check the site every morning until I caught a day that said, "In Stock".
    And I was still skeptical because I had read on Slickdeals that people ordered and their credit card got charged but they hadn't received tracking info. and didn't receive for 2-3 weeks. Customer service was no help.
    I got mine in 3 days. I hope your buy goes just as well.
    If not, the advice from Slickdeals is to be patient. It will show up.

Feedback Score
    Suppose I'm compelled to purchase a TW airtime card to get a certain purchase price on a TW phone. Can I activate the phone on TW to use the airtime, then allow service to lapse, then transfer TF service from an old active TF phone to the new (now inactive) TW phone, then have the phone unlocked after 60 days on TF service? That is, will TF accept a phone that was previously activated then allowed to lapse on TW?

Carrier(s)
    TracFone on VZW
    Feedback Score
    If you're going to use the 1 month airtime on TW then you might as well wait another 30 days after that and let TW unlock it. You could buy another month of airtime if you want to keep using it for the 2nd month but it will unlock after 60 days even if you don't buy airtime for the 2nd month.

I just tossed out the TW SIM card and went straight to TF (and ate the cost of the 1 month TW airtime).

Feedback Score
    Brian VT, will TF accept the phone if it's NOT yet unlocked, and was used on TW for 30 days? If so, can I use the original SIM, or do I have to use a new TF BYOP SIM? Would TF unlock the phone in either case (original or new SIM) after 60 days on TF?

Alternatively, if I allow TW to unlock it after 60 days, having only redeemed one 30-day TW service card, will I then have to use a new TF BYOP SIM when transferring TF service to it? Or will TF accept the (now unlocked) phone with it's original SIM?

Does the TW unlocking process require any more information than the TF unlocking process?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast