Thread: New-to-iPhone questions

Feedback Score

New-to-iPhone questions

So my mom recently moved to an iPhone. She has used Androids before (all the rest of us are on Android too).

My mom has been going through a very long "adjustment period" with her iPhone, but for a number of reasons, she needs to stick with the iPhone (ie doesn't have the option to move to Android).

I am helping her but given that I am totally new to iOS myself, there are some things that just don't get solved, like this one -

She uses a hotspot as home internet, and turns off the hotspot at bedtime. She turns the hotspot device back on after waking up.

Her iPhone uses the hotspot for wifi. In Settings, her wifi is always on. But the problem is, that the iPhone doesn't *automatically* connect to the hotspot every morning unless she interacts with her phone. Because of this, there are days when her phone doesn't get connected to wifi at all.

Is there any way to have her wifi connect to the hotspot automatically? I have tried every logical setting I could think of, but can't solve this. Thank you for any helpful tips, advice etc!
    You can activate new service on Tracfone and get $80 by using my referral code (you get 8,000 rewards points - that's $80 in service or brand new phone!) You'll also get great karma! Not supposed to post referral codes out on the forum so please PM me for code. Thank you!

Feedback Score

Under Settings Wi-Fi
    Scroll to the bottom
    There is a Auto-Join-Hotspot
    Choices are Never, Ask-to-Join, Automatic

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyLC View Post

Under Settings Wi-Fi
    Scroll to the bottom
    There is a Auto-Join-Hotspot
    Choices are Never, Ask-to-Join, Automatic
    Yup, that was the first place I had looked. It is set to Automatic, but it still doesn't connect automatically.

For good measure, I also tried the other 2 choices. Those don't work right, which is to be expected of course.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Simplest way might be to upgrade her out of that hotspot device to a full fledged cellular router. What plan is she using?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlimar1 View Post
    Simplest way might be to upgrade her out of that hotspot device to a full fledged cellular router.
    If I tell my mom that the solution to her phone not connecting automatically, is that she should get rid of her current hotspot device and get a new router, she will totally flip out!

As it is she keeps complaining about having to use the iPhone. I don't want to listen to another tirade by suggesting drastic changes!

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sillyette View Post
    If I tell my mom that the solution to her phone not connecting automatically, is that she should get rid of her current hotspot device and get a new router, she will totally flip out!

As it is she keeps complaining about having to use the iPhone. I don't want to listen to another tirade by suggesting drastic changes!
    Wow! A tirade about her iPhone not connecting? Glad it's you doing the tech support!!

Just thought if you upgraded her router it could cover her whole house 24/7 and the iPhone would be taken care of as well. 2 birds one stone.

Anyway - not sure how to solve this. iPhone's are pretty aggressive with battery saving features.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlimar1 View Post
    Wow! A tirade about her iPhone not connecting? Glad it's you doing the tech support!!
    Yup, I've been able to solve several of her iPhone complaints. My hope is that she'll start genuinely liking her phone if I solve ALL the problems.

(Actually, my mom is not *as* difficult as I've made her out to be! )