Thread: Feedback on switching to new device / bad purchase?

Feedback Score

Feedback on switching to new device / bad purchase?

Haven't posted forever, but looking for some advice from the experts here as to whether my plan to upgarde devices was not a very good one, as I have a couple of days to return it.

Decade+ AT&T prepaid customer currently using at iPhone 8+ purchased unlocked via a Visible deal.

I wanted to upgrade to a new-ish similar sized screen iPhone so I though purchased the $299 AT&T Prepaid iPhone 11 deal via Walmart would be a smart idea. It is normally $399, but $100 off if activated with a new live in-store, which I did thinking that I could activate it for one month, turn off auto-pay and let the service lapse and in parallel, just pop my current SIM card in the new iPhone 11 device and only be out $299 + tax + one month of $45 service.

Reading more, I am concerned I cannot just let the plan lapse, and/or will have issues just swapping my current SIM card into the new device after it is activated on the new plan based on comments in here. Looking for advice as to whether my thinking is sound, should I take another path, or cut my losses and just return the device.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    You may be able to have At&t port your old number over to your new line. I remember doing something like this to get a Walmart At&t Prepaid plan.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by juk View Post
    Haven't posted forever, but looking for some advice from the experts here as to whether my plan to upgarde devices was not a very good one, as I have a couple of days to return it.

Decade+ AT&T prepaid customer currently using at iPhone 8+ purchased unlocked via a Visible deal.

I wanted to upgrade to a new-ish similar sized screen iPhone so I though purchased the $299 AT&T Prepaid iPhone 11 deal via Walmart would be a smart idea. It is normally $399, but $100 off if activated with a new live in-store, which I did thinking that I could activate it for one month, turn off auto-pay and let the service lapse and in parallel, just pop my current SIM card in the new iPhone 11 device and only be out $299 + tax + one month of $45 service.

Reading more, I am concerned I cannot just let the plan lapse, and/or will have issues just swapping my current SIM card into the new device after it is activated on the new plan based on comments in here. Looking for advice as to whether my thinking is sound, should I take another path, or cut my losses and just return the device.

Thanks!

see this reddit thread - https://www.reddit.com/r/NoContract/...m_att_prepaid/
    i
    believe you'll still owe for the rest of the rest of the payment for the phone
    Last edited by october262; 06-21-2022 at 11:15 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone SE 2016
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, Mobi, Boom
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    see this reddit thread - https://www.reddit.com/r/NoContract/...m_att_prepaid/
    i
    believe you'll still owe for the rest of the rest of the payment for the phone
    What rest of payment? This sounds right. The 1 month service, and the $299. It isn't an installment plan postpaid.
    iPhone 12 Pro is my current phone I carry.

Feedback Score
    I did the same thing with a iphone SE a few years ago

Bought the phone. Paid for the activation. Brought the line into my family plan. Swapped sims. Removed plan from family plan and let the line die.