Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Combine minutes and port second number

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 6 Pro and Google Pixel 3a
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

Combine minutes and port second number

I have 2 Tracfones. I'd like to combine minutes from one to the other then port the number from the donor phone to another carrier. Would Plan 1 or Plan 2 be more likely to succeed?

Plan 1: combine then port the donor phone number (hopefully reactivating the donor phone number with the purchase of an inexpensive service plan) or

Plan 2: port the donor phone number of the donor phone first then hope to recover the donor phone minutes with a new Tracfone number. Then combine the minutes from the donor phone (with the new phone number) into the phone I want to keep

Thanks!

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Plan2 is better because TF allows you 60 days to reactivate a line and restore the previous buckets. With Plan1, the phone number can be reassigned immediately if the number pool is tight.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6233
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    on a similar note, can you port an inactive number during the 60 day window or can you only port active numbers?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hapollo8 View Post
    on a similar note, can you port an inactive number during the 60 day window or can you only port active numbers?
    With TF and most providers, you can only port out an active number. With Visible, if you stop payments then they put your service in suspension, and I think they give you 10 (or 30?) days to port out.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE 2020
    Carrier(s)
    <Tracfone < Boom < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    My question is like #2 above. Then add the twist of switching phones after porting out phone # A - can the device (A) be reactivated which is

now being used by person who is still on TF ? Phone B is now being used by person A on another mvno after # port out.

Or is it the SIM card that would be reactivated ? But, sim is in the phone switch ? Confusing to me ?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    @trek83

Your post is too confusing for me to understand. What is "#2 above"? Plan 2 mentioned in post #1, or what was said in post #2? What phone switch?

Please state what phones you have, TF-branded or BYOP, what do you want to do with their services and phone numbers?

Device(s)
    iPhone SE 2020
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    @trek83

Your post is too confusing for me to understand. What is "#2 above"? Plan 2 mentioned in post #1, or what was said in post #2? What phone switch?

Please state what phones you have, TF-branded or BYOP, what do you want to do with their services and phone numbers?
    Oops, my bad. Poor language to describe things. Here we go -

Phone/ Line A is locked to TF iPhone SE 2020 & it has a Verizon sim - will be porting out the phone # to US Mobile ( Verizon ) in the next few weeks.

Phone/ Line B is unlocked non-TF iPhone XS ( TF Verizon sim, also )

Because A is locked to TF, it can’t be used on US Mobile for the port-out. So my plan was to switch phones with the family member, thus they

would use phone B ( iPhone XS ) on US Mobile. Phone A ( SE 2020 iPhone ) would then stay on TF, but with the phone number currently being

used on phone B (XS ).

Question : In a few weeks, can the balances from the previous line A be reactivated ? And then combine the balances of A to B ? I kinda

think not since the SE phone and SIM card will be in use with the previous line B number - but the balance from line A are out there somewhere,

right ? This is confusing to me. Maybe it’s not really worth the smallish balance that will remain on current A line/ phone.

Thanks

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    @trek83

* PLAN A:
    To salvage the balance of phone A and combine it with the balance of phone B, along with porting out phone number A, and switching phones, you'll need to do these steps in sequence:
    1. Port phone number A to US mobile. This will deactivate phone A (iPhone SE 2020) and also messes up its eligibility for getting unlocked (if you care about that).
    2. Reactivate phone A using a minimal time card; you have to reactivate with a time card to reclaim its previous balance. Phone A will get assigned a new phone number, but that really doesn't matter.
    3. Ask a rep to COMBINE phone A's balance (its previous balance + what was added with the time card) to phone B (XS). This will deactivate phone A again.
    4. TRANSFER service from phone B to phone A. That will deactivate phone B, so it can be used with US Mobile.

PLAN B:
    If you don't care about the smallish balance of phone A and/or don't want to spend money for a time card to reactivate phone A, then do these steps:
    1. Port phone number A to US Mobile. This will deactivate phone A.
    2. TRANSFER service from phone B to phone A. That will deactivate phone B, so it can be used with US Mobile.

Plan B is simpler, without having to spend money for a time card, and avoid the risk of the rep screwing things up doing a COMBINE.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE 2020
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    @trek83

* PLAN A:
    To salvage the balance of phone A and combine it with the balance of phone B, along with porting out phone number A, and switching phones, you'll need to do these steps in sequence:
    1. Port phone number A to US mobile. This will deactivate phone A (iPhone SE 2020) and also messes up its eligibility for getting unlocked (if you care about that).
    2. Reactivate phone A using a minimal time card; you have to reactivate with a time card to reclaim its previous balance. Phone A will get assigned a new phone number, but that really doesn't matter.
    3. Ask a rep to COMBINE phone A's balance (its previous balance + what was added with the time card) to phone B (XS). This will deactivate phone A again.
    4. TRANSFER service from phone B to phone A. That will deactivate phone B, so it can be used with US Mobile.

PLAN B:
    If you don't care about the smallish balance of phone A and/or don't want to spend money for a time card to reactivate phone A, then do these steps:
    1. Port phone number A to US Mobile. This will deactivate phone A.
    2. TRANSFER service from phone B to phone A. That will deactivate phone B, so it can be used with US Mobile.

Plan B is simpler, without having to spend money for a time card, and avoid the risk of the rep screwing things up doing a COMBINE.
    hpham - wow, that really helps. Thank you so much for the step by step process , and 2 plans.

Plan B is what I’ll probably do since it involves less interaction with TF CS. And, I’ll need the phone to use the same

day as the port out occurs. Don’t have a spare. Appreciate the time up you devoted to this answer.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy A51, Google Pixel 3a
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I have 3 cell phones:

1. A Tracfone Samsung Galaxy A51 with a TracFone/VZ SIM
    2. A Google Pixel 3a with a BYOP TracFone/AT&T SIM
    3. And, an unactivated TracFone TCL Flip 2 bundle.

Within the next couple of days, I plan to port the phone number from the Google Pixel 3a line to another MVNO, so that I can keep that phone with AT&T.

When the phone number is ported, I will be leaving behind about 2 weeks of Service Days, over 4,000 minutes and texts, plus a chunk of data.

Is it worthwhile to try to reclaim the Service Days, M/T/D from this phone line?

1. If so, how would I go about doing it, given the other 2 cells which I have?
    2. Are there any particular “keywords” that I would need to use with TF’s customer service in order to make myself perfectly clear as to what I want to do?

Any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    * When you port the phone number out of the Pixel 3, it will be deactivated. You can reclaim its previous buckets and days by reactivating it within 60 days with a purchased time card, a minimal $9.99 card on Ebay will do. The phone will be reactivated with a new phone number, and its old buckets/days, plus the 30 days 30/30/30 provided by the $9.99. The previous 4000 minutes are worth $80 ($10 for 500 minutes) and data is worth $10 per GB.

* What to do next depends on how many active lines you want to end up with, and which phones you want to use with those lines.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy A51, Google Pixel 3a
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    * When you port the phone number out of the Pixel 3, it will be deactivated. You can reclaim its previous buckets and days by reactivating it within 60 days with a purchased time card, a minimal $9.99 card on Ebay will do. The phone will be reactivated with a new phone number, and its old buckets/days, plus the 30 days 30/30/30 provided by the $9.99. The previous 4000 minutes are worth $80 ($10 for 500 minutes) and data is worth $10 per GB.

* What to do next depends on how many active lines you want to end up with, and which phones you want to use with those lines.
    Many thanks, Hpham! Your words have helped immensely to clarify my thoughts on what I need to do …

First, I need to complete the porting process. I initiated it a couple of hours ago, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed at this point.

Second, I will need to reactivate my Pixel 3a on TracFone. (I assume I will need a TracFone BYOP TF/VZ SIM, and I do have several of those.)

After that, I will activate the TCL Flip 2 and use it until it is eligible to be unlocked. So, yes, I will have multiple lines for a while, but that’s okay. I will worry about combining lines after the New Year.

Thanks again for your invaluable assistance!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowyD View Post
    Second, I will need to reactivate my Pixel 3a on TracFone. (I assume I will need a TracFone BYOP TF/VZ SIM, and I do have several of those).
    ** EDITED **

To reactivate the Pixel 3a AND reclaim its previous balance, you'll need to tie the reactivation to its previous SIM. So it's best to do the reactivation using Chat and let the rep tell you what needs to be done.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    To make thing simpler:
    1. Reactivate the Pixel 3a to reclaim its previous balance + add the units/days from the $9.99 card.
    2. After step 1 was done, activate the Flip phone bundle WITH A TRANSFER from the Pixel 3a. That way, you'll only have two active lines: the flip phone and the A51.
    3. After 61 days, unlock the flip phone, then combine the flip phone's remaining buckets/days into those of the A51.

The steps above don't take into account Reward points. If you want to get AAL reward points for the flip phone, then it has to be activated as a new line. Then after its pending points have been vested, then you can do the unlocking and combine.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowyD View Post
    I have 3 cell phones:

1. A Tracfone Samsung Galaxy A51 with a TracFone/VZ SIM
    2. A Google Pixel 3a with a BYOP TracFone/AT&T SIM
    3. And, an unactivated TracFone TCL Flip 2 bundle.

Within the next couple of days, I plan to port the phone number from the Google Pixel 3a line to another MVNO, so that I can keep that phone with AT&T.

When the phone number is ported, I will be leaving behind about 2 weeks of Service Days, over 4,000 minutes and texts, plus a chunk of data.

Is it worthwhile to try to reclaim the Service Days, M/T/D from this phone line?

1. If so, how would I go about doing it, given the other 2 cells which I have?
    2. Are there any particular “keywords” that I would need to use with TF’s customer service in order to make myself perfectly clear as to what I want to do?

Any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
    ** EDITED **

To reactivate the Pixel 3a AND reclaim its previous balance, you'll need to tie the reactivation to its previous SIM. So it's best to do the reactivation using Chat and let the rep tell you what needs to be done.
    Am I correct in assuming that ShadowyD wants to move the phone number AND the Pixel 3a to the new mvno?

hpham, would it be possible to reactivate the original Pixel 3a TF sim in a different phone or are the sim and IMEI tied together for balance reclaiming purposes? (It's an academic question for me at this point, but I recently ported my wife's line to Mobi and pitched the sim!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast